Re: Killer Squirrel attack

In article <[email protected]>,
Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:45:10 -0700, Michael Press <[email protected]>
> may have said:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> > Me <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Or, just get squirrel inhibitor(tm) wheels! With their closely-spaced
> >> spokes, there isn't enough space for squirrels to get lodged! Low
> >> spoke-count wheels such as these Mavic Krysiums seem designed to catch
> >> squirrels and fling them up against the fork. Hmmm...wonder when some
> >> sleazy lawyer will figure out that his new niche lies in suing
> >> manufacturers of squirrel-catcher wheels when these crashes happen?

> >Squirrels are quick. Remember that the spokes going to the
> >contact patch are moving very slowly. A squirrel can see that.

> Squirrels around here are too fat to get past the spokes of a 36-spoke
> wheel; I've had a few dash out towards me, but they've mostly turned
> aside when they got a look at my old-school 36-spoke wheels. One
> bounced off the spokes, hit my leg and did some aerobatics before
> running off in a different direction.

Agree. Never thought otherwise. You make my point that
they recognize a no-go zone.

--
Michael Press

"Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:22:26 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] may
> have said:
>
>>On Jun 18, 7:54 pm, Mike A Schwab <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> http://picasaweb.google.com/dbiked/BrotherSBikeCrash?authkey=iOs1rM3MJzo

>>Dear Mike,
>>
>>Just cross-posting your link to the crash pictures to RBT, where the
>>detailed photos of the damage may be appreciated.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Carl Fogel

> When will people learn that if you're going to ride squirrel dicer
> wheels, you need to sharpen the spokes properly?
>
> --
> My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
> Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
> Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

It that why bladed spokes were created?

BobT

On Jun 21, 8:58 am, "BobT" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> "Werehatrack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:22:26 -0700 (PDT), [email protected] may
> > have said:

> >>Dear Mike,

> >>Just cross-posting your link to the crash pictures to RBT, where the
> >>detailed photos of the damage may be appreciated.

> >>Cheers,

> >>Carl Fogel

> > When will people learn that if you're going to ride squirrel dicer
> > wheels, you need to sharpen the spokes properly?

> > --
> > My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
> > Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
> > Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

> It that why bladed spokes were created?
>
> BobT

So ,That's why the hubless wheel was invented. for free flow of
squirrel traffic.

* * Chas wrote:
> It's all related to the carbon fiber composite fork and low spoke count
> wheel fad.
> A properly laced 48 spoke wheel with a strong steel fork would just
> decapitate the little suckers and the rider could continue on his way with
> nary a sensation that anything happened.

I'd like to see that - just not on my own bike!
In my experience you can't easily get a small animal wedged in a 36h
wheel. I haven't pursued this rigorously but at least two dogs (thirty
years apart) scuffed against a wheel without engaging my bike.
--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

When I first starting riding off-road with a group I got off ahead and a
rabbit ran out of the bushes and between front and rear wheels somehow
missing the cranks. I told everyone and they laughed at me and told me it
was my imagination.

Two weeks later the whole group was riding together on road bikes near that
trail and I was slightly ahead when a rabbit ran out of the bushes, came
across the road and ran under my cranks again. This time EVERYONE saw it and
they stopped telling me I had imagined the previous encounter.

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:32:41 -0500, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>That said, I was simply trying to ascertain if there would be any benefit to
>breakaway parts, somewhat akin to designed-in crumple zones on cars. Could
>injury generally be lessened if a breakaway part was engineered so that you
>could have more of a sliding impact rather than a direct impact? <>

Note that the fork breaking is somewhat akin to the wheels and front
suspension falling off as a "crush zone" in an auto accident. I've
never seen that as an engineered solution :)

"still just me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:32:41 -0500, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>That said, I was simply trying to ascertain if there would be any benefit
>>breakaway parts, somewhat akin to designed-in crumple zones on cars. Could
>>injury generally be lessened if a breakaway part was engineered so that
>>you
>>could have more of a sliding impact rather than a direct impact? <>

> Note that the fork breaking is somewhat akin to the wheels and front
> suspension falling off as a "crush zone" in an auto accident. I've
> never seen that as an engineered solution :)

And I'm still recovering from the bones broken in my face from that front
fork failing instead of cutting my foot off. If it wasn't for that I
wouldn't have been too seriously injured in the capital wreck.

Brian Huntley wrote:

> Carl Sundquist wrote:
> >
> > That said, I was simply trying to ascertain if there would be any benefit to
> > breakaway parts, somewhat akin to designed-in crumple zones on cars. Could
> > injury generally be lessened if a breakaway part was engineered so that you
> > could have more of a sliding impact rather than a direct impact?

> Perhaps something made of sacrificial foam, wrapped around one's
> head...

That's just for shipping. You can keep it in case you need to send
your head back to the manufacturer for service, but you should not use
it when the head is in operation. It can cause overheating.

On Jun 22, 12:44 am, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Brian Huntley wrote:
>
> > Carl Sundquist wrote:

> > > That said, I was simply trying to ascertain if there would be any benefit to
> > > breakaway parts, somewhat akin to designed-in crumple zones on cars. Could
> > > injury generally be lessened if a breakaway part was engineered so that you
> > > could have more of a sliding impact rather than a direct impact?

> > Perhaps something made of sacrificial foam, wrapped around one's
> > head...

> That's just for shipping. You can keep it in case you need to send
> your head back to the manufacturer for service, but you should not use
> it when the head is in operation. It can cause overheating.

My mother probably wouldhave objected to that idea.

In article <[email protected]>,
Brian Huntley <[email protected]> writes:
> On Jun 20, 8:32 pm, "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> That said, I was simply trying to ascertain if there would be any benefit to
>> breakaway parts, somewhat akin to designed-in crumple zones on cars. Could
>> injury generally be lessened if a breakaway part was engineered so that you
>> could have more of a sliding impact rather than a direct impact?

> Perhaps something made of sacrificial foam, wrapped around one's
> head...

.... mmmm ... Guinness ... next best thing to Greene King Harvest
Brown Ale. Anaesthetic sacrificial (oblationary) foam.

http://montypyhttp://montypython.50webs.com/scripts/Series_3/48.htm

-- Surgeon: Ooh! We forgot the anesthetic!

-- Operating Gumbys: The anesthetic! The anesthetic!

(At that moment a Gumby anesthetist comes crashing through
the wall with two gas cylinders.)

-- Gumby Anesthetist: I've come to anesthetize you!!

(He raises a gas cylinder and strikes Gumby hard over
the head with it. Bong. Blackness.

Anyways, my heart goes out to Mrs Squirrel and all the li'l
squirrelets. Maybe Mark Knopfler and the Boomtown whatevers
could pitch a benefit concert for them.

cheers, & my brain hurts,
Tom

--