Re: Light Weight, Long Distance, Durable Road Wheels - Recommendations?

Dave Mayer

Guest
"Steve Sr." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I am looking for a set of road wheels for long distance group riding
> not racing. I weigh 160 pounds which might make the choice easier.
>
> I want the hubs to be of high quality with no maintenance sealed
> cartridge bearings.

An inconsistency. I have not found a high quality hub that uses cartridge
bearings. I have many of these in my garage in pieces. They failed due to
water intrusion (the little rubber seal in a cartridge is totally inadequate
for water), bearing failure due to excessive retainer preload, side impacts
that ovalized the hub shell, and bearings rusted solid in their retainers.
Then you have to hit 5 bike shops to try to find a replacement
standard-issue 6001 cartridge. Giving up after this, I found mine at a
bearing supply house - for $11 each.

Cartridge bearings are not designed to take side loads. Skewers put a fair
amount of preload on the bearings. It is basically a design that wasn't
meant to be.

Shimano is the best bang for the buck. You want Tiagra to Ultegra. If you
want a hub that is virtually impervious to the elements, spread your rear
stays 5mm and put in an LX-XT rear hub.

> Based on the distance requirement we're probably
> talking conventional round spokes and aluminum rims. BTW, these will
> be for a Shimano 10-speed drive train.

Why? 10-speed drivetrains are so new that you pay an excessive premium for
cassettes and chains. Wait a couple years until Campy and Shimano escalate
to 11-speed. Then buy the 10-speed stuff on closeout.

> Based on these requirements I am probably looking at having someone
> build these wheels from the recommended parts. however, if you can
> recommend some good wheels that match the requirements that are
> pre-built I will consider these also.
>
> So which components / wheels would you recommend?

Ultegra hubs. 32 double-butted stainless spokes. Built 3 cross. Sun
aluminum (obviously) rims with double eyelets. No anodizing, no machined
braking surface, no welded joint.

Dave Mayer wrote:

> Shimano is the best bang for the buck. You want Tiagra to Ultegra.

If you
> want a hub that is virtually impervious to the elements, spread your

rear
> stays 5mm and put in an LX-XT rear hub.

> Ultegra hubs. 32 double-butted stainless spokes. Built 3 cross.

Sun
> aluminum (obviously) rims with double eyelets. No anodizing, no

machined
> braking surface, no welded joint.

These comments match my experience exactly.

>An inconsistency. I have not found a high quality hub that uses cartridge
>bearings.

Phil Wood.

Chris Neary
[email protected]

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure: what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh