Re: Maybe slightly off topic: Polar (overtraining) software

Derk

Guest
First of all: thanks to everybody for answering.

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
> Yes, that's possible. Over 10 years ago I got overtrained.

According to the litterature I read, overtraining is far more likely if you
train often in the same way. I think that because I train mostly alone, I
get into some sort of routine. I also take far too few days off, since I
ride often 21 days in a row.

>I was tired and exhausted even *before* I got to the race (we use to ride
>easy to the local races). My stomach was upset for months. I rode only
>11000 km that year.

I had the same: loss of sleep, stomach-, bowel problems, dizziness,
extremely slow resting heart rate (32 bpm) etc etc.

Greetings , derk

In article <[email protected]>,
Derk <[email protected]> wrote:

> First of all: thanks to everybody for answering.
>
> Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
> > Yes, that's possible. Over 10 years ago I got overtrained.

> According to the litterature I read, overtraining is far more likely if you
> train often in the same way. I think that because I train mostly alone, I
> get into some sort of routine. I also take far too few days off, since I
> ride often 21 days in a row.
>
> >I was tired and exhausted even *before* I got to the race (we use to ride
> >easy to the local races). My stomach was upset for months. I rode only
> >11000 km that year.

> I had the same: loss of sleep, stomach-, bowel problems, dizziness,
> extremely slow resting heart rate (32 bpm) etc etc.
>
> Greetings , derk

_Slow_ RHR? I'm not a doctor, but I thought that an elevated resting
heart rate was the classic sign of overtraining.

-RjC.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Derk <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> First of all: thanks to everybody for answering.
>>
>> Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
>> > Yes, that's possible. Over 10 years ago I got overtrained.

>> According to the litterature I read, overtraining is far more likely if
>> you train often in the same way. I think that because I train mostly
>> alone, I get into some sort of routine. I also take far too few days off,
>> since I ride often 21 days in a row.
>>
>> >I was tired and exhausted even *before* I got to the race (we use to
>> >ride easy to the local races). My stomach was upset for months. I rode
>> >only 11000 km that year.

>> I had the same: loss of sleep, stomach-, bowel problems, dizziness,
>> extremely slow resting heart rate (32 bpm) etc etc.
>>
>> Greetings , derk
>>

> _Slow_ RHR? I'm not a doctor, but I thought that an elevated resting
> heart rate was the classic sign of overtraining.

I also thought that the resting heart rate increased, not decreased. But
then, I did not measure my RHR very well at that time.

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> _Slow_ RHR? I'm not a doctor, but I thought that an elevated resting
> heart rate was the classic sign of overtraining.

It seems to depend of which part of the nervous system is affected by
overtrainig: the parasympathic or sympathic nervous system. At first my RHR
was elevated in the morning (not having recovered from a workout causes
this), but as I continued to overdo it for many more weeks/months, I got a
very slow RHR.

I have a list somewhere of which symptoms are typical for each part of the
nervous system. These symptoms can be completely opposite, depending on
which sort of overtraining you suffer from. It can be either sleeping far
too long, or not being able to sleep at all, loss of appetite, or normal
appetite,diarrhea or constipation etc etc. That's why overtraining is so
difficult to diagnose.

I read an article in TOUR about an athlete whose body stopped making white
blood cells because of heavy overtraining. That's how far one can go, it
seems.

Greetings, Derk

That should be (para)sympathetic of course......

Sorry, Derk