Re: "Mountain biking is no more damaging than other forms of recreation, including hiking."

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:26:09 GMT, Bill <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>>>
>>> Hikers don't drag their feet. DUH!

>>I have done a lot of hiking and have seen families with over active
>>kids kicking up everything in sight or throwing it. That is more the
>>point of what I meant.

> I'm sule mountain bikers' kids are no different. But we are talking
> about adults. The SCIENCE proves that mountain biking does far more
> damage than hiking.

So to summarize the facts regarding trail impact:

1. No scientific studies show that mountain bikers cause more wear to
trails than other users.

2. Hooves and feet erode more than wheels.

3. No significant difference between hiking and biking trail wear.

4. Minimal change from repeated bicycle passage.

5. Hiking and bicycling trample vegetation at equal rates.

6. Hiking and biking cause roughly the same impact to large mammals,
though in some cases hikers have more impact.

7. Hikers have more impact on bald eagles.

8. Bicyclists, because they travel faster, and more quietly than hikers,
are more likely to encounter bears (no doubt this will make MV happy!).

Anyway, the bottom line is that no one has shown any evidence that
bicycle impact on trails and wildlife is worse than hiker impact, and in
fact, in some cases the hikers have more impact on wildlife, due to
there tendency to be noisier and to travel through an area less quickly.

>>Do you want 'adults only' trails? Even with adults I have seen them
>>start out with a six pack of beer for 'hydration' and return with no
>>cans packed out. It seems like you are selectively "Choosing your
>>poison.". Bill Baka

> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 20:25:31 -0700, SMS <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>Bill wrote:
>>

>>> YOU ***NEVER*** WILL GET IT WILL YOU?

>>The important thing to remember is that all the experts, and all the
>>evidence agrees that trail impact and wildlife impact of hiking and
>>mountain biking is about the same.
>>
>>If someone presents evidence to the contrary then of course it
>>deserves a look, but so far, no one has been able to present any.
>>You'd think that after all these years of mountain biking, someone
>>would have come up with some evidence if there were any. But they
>>haven't and there isn't.

> I have. And most people don't care, because to them it's OBVIOUS that
> mountain biking is more harmful than hiking.

So to summarize the facts regarding trail impact:

1. No scientific studies show that mountain bikers cause more wear to
trails than other users.

2. Hooves and feet erode more than wheels.

3. No significant difference between hiking and biking trail wear.

4. Minimal change from repeated bicycle passage.

5. Hiking and bicycling trample vegetation at equal rates.

6. Hiking and biking cause roughly the same impact to large mammals,
though in some cases hikers have more impact.

7. Hikers have more impact on bald eagles.

8. Bicyclists, because they travel faster, and more quietly than hikers,
are more likely to encounter bears (no doubt this will make MV happy!).

Anyway, the bottom line is that no one has shown any evidence that
bicycle impact on trails and wildlife is worse than hiker impact, and in
fact, in some cases the hikers have more impact on wildlife, due to
there tendency to be noisier and to travel through an area less quickly.

> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Bill Sornson wrote:
>>> Great story. I remember MANY years ago, Prodigy had these bulletin
>>> board things, and there was one character who always signed his name
>>> ____ so & so, PhD. It wasn't a pre-typed sig FILE; he just added it
>>> to every single post he made. He also referred often to it in his
>>> comments, even though he wasn't a computer sciences expert by any
>>> means. ("As a DOCTOR..." "you're not a DOCTOR", etc.) It was
>>> pathetically humorous, or humorously pathetic; not sure which.
>>>
>>> Sorni

>> Good for you.
>> Anything that stomps these guys ego is worth the bother. Many get the
>> Ph.D. just by showing up for school 8 years in a row after college.
>> Could it be that the parents are glad to pay tuition to get the
>> dipshit out of the house?

> Actually, by the time you get a Ph.D. you are most likely one of the
> humblest persons in the world because you truly know what you don't
> know. That is something that Bill Baka need never concern himself
> with. An ignoramus like him always think he knows all there is to know
> and what he doesn't know is not worth knowing.

Thanks Ed!

> Bill Baka is a very dark and mysterious person indeed. I think he may
> be an Australian aborigine who has somehow landed in California.
> Anyone on the newsgroup have a picture of him? I know he is ugly, but
> just how ugly - yea, that is the question!
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

"Chris Foster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[...]
> So to summarize the facts regarding trail impact:
>
> 1. No scientific studies show that mountain bikers cause more wear to
> trails than other users.
>
> 2. Hooves and feet erode more than wheels.
>
> 3. No significant difference between hiking and biking trail wear.
>
> 4. Minimal change from repeated bicycle passage.
>
> 5. Hiking and bicycling trample vegetation at equal rates.
>
> 6. Hiking and biking cause roughly the same impact to large mammals,
> though in some cases hikers have more impact.
>
> 7. Hikers have more impact on bald eagles.
>
> 8. Bicyclists, because they travel faster, and more quietly than hikers,
> are more likely to encounter bears (no doubt this will make MV happy!).
>
> Anyway, the bottom line is that no one has shown any evidence that
> bicycle impact on trails and wildlife is worse than hiker impact, and in
> fact, in some cases the hikers have more impact on wildlife, due to
> there tendency to be noisier and to travel through an area less quickly.

Impact on trails is Mr. Vandeman's issue, not mine. My issue is that biking
on footpaths is incompatible with hiking. How so? Because it disturbs my
peace of mind and my tranquillity of soul to have a slob biker anywhere near
me when I am walking and communing with nature (God).

Edward Dolan wrote:
> Impact on trails is Mr. Vandeman's issue, not mine. My issue is that

biking
> on footpaths is incompatible with hiking. How so? Because it disturbs my
> peace of mind and my tranquillity of soul to have a slob biker anywhere near
> me when I am walking and communing with nature (God).

Funny we feel the same way when we're out riding and communing with
nature, bloody slob hikers keep getting in the way.

On 24 Jul 2006 17:45:16 GMT, Chris Foster <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:

>>>Now, dont' hrt yourself with such a snappy comeback.

>>>Soft "hearted"? I think you misspelled "headed". - Jim McNamara

>> Yawn.

>So to summarize the facts regarding trail impact:
>
>1. No scientific studies show that mountain bikers cause more wear to
>trails than other users.
>
>2. Hooves and feet erode more than wheels.
>
>3. No significant difference between hiking and biking trail wear.
>
>4. Minimal change from repeated bicycle passage.
>
>5. Hiking and bicycling trample vegetation at equal rates.
>
>6. Hiking and biking cause roughly the same impact to large mammals,
>though in some cases hikers have more impact.
>
>7. Hikers have more impact on bald eagles.
>
>8. Bicyclists, because they travel faster, and more quietly than hikers,
>are more likely to encounter bears (no doubt this will make MV happy!).
>
>Anyway, the bottom line is that no one has shown any evidence that
>bicycle impact on trails and wildlife is worse than hiker impact, and in
>fact, in some cases the hikers have more impact on wildlife, due to
>there tendency to be noisier and to travel through an area less quickly.

9. Disregard all of the above, which is nothing byt lies.

On 24 Jul 2006 17:46:02 GMT, Chris Foster <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 16:59:54 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>"Chris Foster" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>Are you sure you want to be indentified with Jimbo? He is a pathetic
>>>figure who at least had the guts to do battle with Ed Gin, the most
>>>notorious criminal vandal troll ever to infect ARBR. Everyone felt
>>>sorry for him because Ed Gin was such a scoundrel, but Jimbo does not
>>>know how to relate to anyone who is not a scoundrel. Hang in there
>>>Foster as I think you will soon qualify yourself. Just keep telling
>>>Jimbo that he is great and you will be OK, but the minute you tell him
>>>that he is not great, he will whine and carry on like a school girl.
>>>You have been warned!
>>>
>>>The one thing you both have going for you is that you are a couple of
>>>half-wits who are incapable of a good rejoinder, something that
>>>Vandeman and I do all the time on a regular basis. Jimbo and Foster,
>>>half-witted sexual innuendoes - yea, that is as good as it is ever
>>>going to get with them! Once a jarhead, always a jarhead apparently!
>>>
>>>By the way, I now believe you are lying about your Ph.D. in electrical
>>>engineering. There is just no way anyone as stupid as you could
>>>possibly have any higher degrees.

>> Yes. Good catch.

>So to summarize the facts regarding trail impact:
>
>1. No scientific studies show that mountain bikers cause more wear to
>trails than other users.
>
>2. Hooves and feet erode more than wheels.
>
>3. No significant difference between hiking and biking trail wear.
>
>4. Minimal change from repeated bicycle passage.
>
>5. Hiking and bicycling trample vegetation at equal rates.
>
>6. Hiking and biking cause roughly the same impact to large mammals,
>though in some cases hikers have more impact.
>
>7. Hikers have more impact on bald eagles.
>
>8. Bicyclists, because they travel faster, and more quietly than hikers,
>are more likely to encounter bears (no doubt this will make MV happy!).
>
>Anyway, the bottom line is that no one has shown any evidence that
>bicycle impact on trails and wildlife is worse than hiker impact, and in
>fact, in some cases the hikers have more impact on wildlife, due to
>there tendency to be noisier and to travel through an area less quickly.

Repeasing BS doesn't make it true.
===

Mike Vandeman wrote:

> Repeasing BS doesn't make it true.

It doesn't stop you from repeating the same BS and screaming it's true.

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 24 Jul 2006 17:46:02 GMT, Chris Foster <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>>news:[email protected]:

him

electrical

>>> Yes. Good catch.

>>So to summarize the facts regarding trail impact:
>>
>>1. No scientific studies show that mountain bikers cause more wear to
>>trails than other users.
>>
>>2. Hooves and feet erode more than wheels.
>>
>>3. No significant difference between hiking and biking trail wear.
>>
>>4. Minimal change from repeated bicycle passage.
>>
>>5. Hiking and bicycling trample vegetation at equal rates.
>>
>>6. Hiking and biking cause roughly the same impact to large mammals,
>>though in some cases hikers have more impact.
>>
>>7. Hikers have more impact on bald eagles.
>>
>>8. Bicyclists, because they travel faster, and more quietly than

hikers,
>>are more likely to encounter bears (no doubt this will make MV happy!).
>>
>>Anyway, the bottom line is that no one has shown any evidence that
>>bicycle impact on trails and wildlife is worse than hiker impact, and

in
>>fact, in some cases the hikers have more impact on wildlife, due to
>>there tendency to be noisier and to travel through an area less

quickly.

> Repeasing BS doesn't make it true.

I agree, but I think some of what you spew is BS too. You have been
repeating that for 8 years.

I just passed thru Roosevelt National Park (RNP), to get into Rockie
Mountain National Park (RMNP). Mountain bikers (and thier associated
riders) are not allowed into either park. Both are beautiful and
pristine. I did see lots of ruts where a trail once was. Which means
that hiker caused the errosion and not the mountain bikers (who were not
there)

3 weekends ago I was up at Helen Hunt Falls near Colorado Springs, up on
High Drive. Lots of mountain bikes there. Everybody got along, there
was no more or less soil errosion then RMNP.

When was the last time you got out to the wilderness vs. going to some
made up conference where you actually didnt speek??

On 25 Jul 2006 18:59:51 GMT, Chris Foster <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> On 24 Jul 2006 17:46:02 GMT, Chris Foster <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>>>news:[email protected]:

>him

>electrical

>>>So to summarize the facts regarding trail impact:
>>>
>>>1. No scientific studies show that mountain bikers cause more wear to
>>>trails than other users.
>>>
>>>2. Hooves and feet erode more than wheels.
>>>
>>>3. No significant difference between hiking and biking trail wear.
>>>
>>>4. Minimal change from repeated bicycle passage.
>>>
>>>5. Hiking and bicycling trample vegetation at equal rates.
>>>
>>>6. Hiking and biking cause roughly the same impact to large mammals,
>>>though in some cases hikers have more impact.
>>>
>>>7. Hikers have more impact on bald eagles.
>>>
>>>8. Bicyclists, because they travel faster, and more quietly than

>hikers,
>>>are more likely to encounter bears (no doubt this will make MV happy!).
>>>
>>>Anyway, the bottom line is that no one has shown any evidence that
>>>bicycle impact on trails and wildlife is worse than hiker impact, and

>in
>>>fact, in some cases the hikers have more impact on wildlife, due to
>>>there tendency to be noisier and to travel through an area less

>quickly.
>>
>> Repeasing BS doesn't make it true.

>I agree, but I think some of what you spew is BS too. You have been
>repeating that for 8 years.
>
>I just passed thru Roosevelt National Park (RNP), to get into Rockie
>Mountain National Park (RMNP). Mountain bikers (and thier associated
>riders) are not allowed into either park.

Which you know is a bald-faced lie. Mountain bikers are allowed in ALL
parks. DUH!

Both are beautiful and
>pristine. I did see lots of ruts where a trail once was. Which means
>that hiker caused the errosion and not the mountain bikers (who were not
>there)

Or illegal mountain bikers.

>3 weekends ago I was up at Helen Hunt Falls near Colorado Springs, up on
>High Drive. Lots of mountain bikes there. Everybody got along, there
>was no more or less soil errosion then RMNP.

Irrelevant. What's important is damage PER PERSON. If you compare a
trail travelled by 100 mountain bikers with one travelled by 10,000
hikers, you can't make any useful comparison, which is what you are
doing, since you don't understand science.

>When was the last time you got out to the wilderness vs. going to some
>made up conference where you actually didnt speek??

Define "wilderness".
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> On 25 Jul 2006 18:59:51 GMT, Chris Foster <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>>news:[email protected]:

>>him

>>electrical

>>hikers,

>>in

>>quickly.
>>>
>>> Repeasing BS doesn't make it true.

>>I agree, but I think some of what you spew is BS too. You have been
>>repeating that for 8 years.
>>
>>I just passed thru Roosevelt National Park (RNP), to get into Rockie
>>Mountain National Park (RMNP). Mountain bikers (and thier associated
>>riders) are not allowed into either park.

> Which you know is a bald-faced lie. Mountain bikers are allowed in ALL
> parks. DUH!

You are tring to play word games again. A person is not alloweed to ride
a bicycle (of any type) off road in RMNP (Better?)

> Both are beautiful and
>>pristine. I did see lots of ruts where a trail once was. Which means
>>that hiker caused the errosion and not the mountain bikers (who were
>>not there)

> Or illegal mountain bikers.

No signs of any bicycle riding (Zero!)

>>3 weekends ago I was up at Helen Hunt Falls near Colorado Springs, up
>>on High Drive. Lots of mountain bikes there. Everybody got along,
>>there was no more or less soil errosion then RMNP.

> Irrelevant. What's important is damage PER PERSON. If you compare a
> trail travelled by 100 mountain bikers with one travelled by 10,000
> hikers, you can't make any useful comparison, which is what you are
> doing, since you don't understand science.
>
>>When was the last time you got out to the wilderness vs. going to some
>>made up conference where you actually didnt speek??

> Define "wilderness".

Usually there is a brown sign that reads something like :

"US Dept of the Interior"

Blah Blah Wilderness Area

> ===
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

>>in

>>quickly.
>>>
>>> Repeasing BS doesn't make it true.

>>I agree, but I think some of what you spew is BS too. You have been
>>repeating that for 8 years.
>>
>>I just passed thru Roosevelt National Park (RNP), to get into Rockie
>>Mountain National Park (RMNP). Mountain bikers (and thier associated
>>riders) are not allowed into either park.

> Which you know is a bald-faced lie. Mountain bikers are allowed in ALL
> parks. DUH!

We've covered this:
MV.> .> I have NEVER recommended "the removal of the cyclists", liar, only
removal of BIKES. DUH! You guys are AMAZINGLY dense!

SC> .Again - because you don't get it. A cyclist, when walking, is a
pedestrian (or hiker). Banning bikes also bans mountain biking because the
activity of offroad cycling is what defines the action as mountain biking.

..>

MV.> Right, but banning bikes doesn't ban mountain bikers. They can WALK.
DUHHHHH!

SC .So explain what defines a "mountain biker" if (A) they can not ride the
bikes in such a manner as to be a "mountain biker" and (B) if bikes are
banned from all trails and everybody must "WALK DUHHHHH!", then what would
be defined as "mountain biking" and (C) what would ultimately define someone
as a "mountain biker" when walking side by side with other "hikers"?

MV There wouldn't be any. That would make most of the world happier.

SC ."There wouldn't be any." Your words, not mine. Proving the point that
banning "bikes" in essence bans "mountain bikers".

> Both are beautiful and
>>pristine. I did see lots of ruts where a trail once was. Which means
>>that hiker caused the errosion and not the mountain bikers (who were not
>>there)

> Or illegal mountain bikers.
>
>>3 weekends ago I was up at Helen Hunt Falls near Colorado Springs, up on
>>High Drive. Lots of mountain bikes there. Everybody got along, there
>>was no more or less soil errosion then RMNP.

> Irrelevant. What's important is damage PER PERSON. If you compare a
> trail travelled by 100 mountain bikers with one travelled by 10,000
> hikers, you can't make any useful comparison, which is what you are
> doing, since you don't understand science.

No. It is relevant. Your own statements make it relevant. Your own
application of your terms and variables instead of accepted terminology
makes it relevant. Your own insistence on the inclusion of "distance" makes
it relevant: "However, the greatest defect of the study and its
interpretation is that is that it doesn't consider the distance that bikers
travel. Even if we accepted their conclusions that impacts per mile are the
same, it would follow that mountain bikers have several times the impact of
hikers, since they are easily able to, and do, travel several times as far
as hikers. Try walking 25 or 50 or 100 miles in a day!"

>>When was the last time you got out to the wilderness vs. going to some
>>made up conference where you actually didnt speek??

> Define "wilderness".
> ===

Answer the question, Mr. Clinton.

On 28 Jul 2006 13:26:26 GMT, Chris Foster <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>
>> On 25 Jul 2006 18:59:51 GMT, Chris Foster <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>Mike Vandeman <[email protected]> wrote in
>>>news:[email protected]:

>>>him

>>>electrical

>>>hikers,

>>>in
>>>quickly.

>>>I agree, but I think some of what you spew is BS too. You have been
>>>repeating that for 8 years.
>>>
>>>I just passed thru Roosevelt National Park (RNP), to get into Rockie
>>>Mountain National Park (RMNP). Mountain bikers (and thier associated
>>>riders) are not allowed into either park.

>> Which you know is a bald-faced lie. Mountain bikers are allowed in ALL
>> parks. DUH!

>You are tring to play word games again. A person is not alloweed to ride
>a bicycle (of any type) off road in RMNP (Better?)

So what? Mountain bikers are allowed on the trails. Only their BIKES
aren't allowed. DUH!
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande