Re: "Mountain biking is no more damaging than other forms of recreation, including hiking."

SMS wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> Let Vandeman fade out please. I don't have a Ph.D. in bicycling but I
>> know that if I ride conservatively and don't tear up the trail like
>> some sugar hyped teenager I am actually doing 'LESS' damage than a
>> hiker dragging his feet.
>> FWIW, high I.Q. and no Ph.D. trumps Ph.D. and Forrest Gump I.Q.,
>> period.

> LOL, we had one guy at work who had a Ph.D. and insisted that everyone
> address him as Dr. XXXXX. I remember at a company picnic in Santa
> Cruz, the CEO made an announcement, Dr. XXXXX will be organizing a
> volleyball game after lunch. The license plate on his car was "Dr.
> XXXXX."
> He was the most clueless employee at the company. We would all cringe
> when he would speak to customers, as he would promise them things that
> we all knew were totally impossible. I remember one instance where one
> of the most experienced employees was running down the hall screaming
> at him, "you're an idiot." We all wanted to cheer, but it would have
> been frowned upon.
>
> After a while, we all started calling each other Dr. whatever, and one
> day he heard the receptionist address me as Dr. Scharf. He asked if I
> had a doctorate, and I convinced him that I was a rabbi with a Doctor
> of Divinity degree, but that I had decided to be an engineer instead,
> and had an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering (that part
> is true).
> Outside of work, he wasn't a bad guy, he was just really convinced
> that his doctoral degree was something that everyone cared about.

Great story. I remember MANY years ago, Prodigy had these bulletin board
things, and there was one character who always signed his name ____ so & so,
PhD. It wasn't a pre-typed sig FILE; he just added it to every single post
he made. He also referred often to it in his comments, even though he
wasn't a computer sciences expert by any means. ("As a DOCTOR..." "you're
not a DOCTOR", etc.) It was pathetically humorous, or humorously pathetic;
not sure which.

Sorni

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:26:09 GMT, Bill <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 20:04:30 GMT, Bill <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>> Let Vandeman fade out please. I don't have a Ph.D. in bicycling but I
>>> know that if I ride conservatively and don't tear up the trail like some
>>> sugar hyped teenager I am actually doing 'LESS' damage than a hiker
>>> dragging his feet.

>> Hikers don't drag their feet. DUH!

>I have done a lot of hiking and have seen families with over active kids
>kicking up everything in sight or throwing it. That is more the point of
>what I meant.

I'm sule mountain bikers' kids are no different. But we are talking
about adults. The SCIENCE proves that mountain biking does far more
damage than hiking.

>Do you want 'adults only' trails? Even with adults I have seen them
>start out with a six pack of beer for 'hydration' and return with no
>cans packed out. It seems like you are selectively "Choosing your poison.".
>Bill Baka
>>
>>> FWIW, high I.Q. and no Ph.D. trumps Ph.D. and Forrest Gump I.Q., period.
>>> Bill Baka, not impressed by a piece of paper.
>>>
>>> P.S. I did go to college, but in a different field.

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 16:34:25 -0700, SMS <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Bill wrote:
>
>> Let Vandeman fade out please. I don't have a Ph.D. in bicycling but I
>> know that if I ride conservatively and don't tear up the trail like some
>> sugar hyped teenager I am actually doing 'LESS' damage than a hiker
>> dragging his feet.
>> FWIW, high I.Q. and no Ph.D. trumps Ph.D. and Forrest Gump I.Q., period.

>LOL, we had one guy at work who had a Ph.D. and insisted that everyone
>address him as Dr. XXXXX. I remember at a company picnic in Santa Cruz,
>the CEO made an announcement, Dr. XXXXX will be organizing a volleyball
>game after lunch. The license plate on his car was "Dr. XXXXX."
>
>He was the most clueless employee at the company. We would all cringe
>when he would speak to customers, as he would promise them things that
>we all knew were totally impossible. I remember one instance where one
>of the most experienced employees was running down the hall screaming at
>him, "you're an idiot." We all wanted to cheer, but it would have been
>frowned upon.
>
>After a while, we all started calling each other Dr. whatever, and one
>day he heard the receptionist address me as Dr. Scharf. He asked if I
>had a doctorate, and I convinced him that I was a rabbi with a Doctor of
>Divinity degree, but that I had decided to be an engineer instead, and
>had an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering (that part is true).
>
>Outside of work, he wasn't a bad guy, he was just really convinced that
>his doctoral degree was something that everyone cared about.

I agree. The Ph.D. is just a measure of skill in a certain area.
HONESTY is what counts most, and that is where mountain bikers fail
miserably. They are allergic to telling the truth about mountain
biking.
===

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Great story. I remember MANY years ago, Prodigy had these bulletin board
> things, and there was one character who always signed his name ____ so & so,
> PhD. It wasn't a pre-typed sig FILE; he just added it to every single post
> he made. He also referred often to it in his comments, even though he
> wasn't a computer sciences expert by any means. ("As a DOCTOR..." "you're
> not a DOCTOR", etc.) It was pathetically humorous, or humorously pathetic;
> not sure which.
>
> Sorni

Good for you.
Anything that stomps these guys ego is worth the bother. Many get the
Ph.D. just by showing up for school 8 years in a row after college.
Could it be that the parents are glad to pay tuition to get the dipshit
out of the house?

I am SOOOO tempted to make a Bush joke here.

Sr. got Jr. elected president to get him out of Texas.

Sorry, couldn't pass it up.

Bill Baka

Mike Vandeman wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:26:09 GMT, Bill <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Mike Vandeman wrote:
>>> Hikers don't drag their feet. DUH!

>> I have done a lot of hiking and have seen families with over active kids
>> kicking up everything in sight or throwing it. That is more the point of
>> what I meant.

> I'm sule mountain bikers' kids are no different. But we are talking
> about adults. The SCIENCE proves that mountain biking does far more
> damage than hiking.

YOU ***NEVER*** WILL GET IT WILL YOU?
Riding mellow does not hurt the trail.
Teenage and twenty something antics mess things up with or without a bike.
DDDDDUUUUUUHHHHHHH, RRRRAAAALLLLPPPPHHHH!!!
Bill (Fed up with fools) Baka

Bill wrote:

> YOU ***NEVER*** WILL GET IT WILL YOU?

The important thing to remember is that all the experts, and all the
evidence agrees that trail impact and wildlife impact of hiking and
mountain biking is about the same.

If someone presents evidence to the contrary then of course it deserves
a look, but so far, no one has been able to present any. You'd think
that after all these years of mountain biking, someone would have come
up with some evidence if there were any. But they haven't and there isn't.

"SMS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill wrote:
>
>> Let Vandeman fade out please. I don't have a Ph.D. in bicycling but I
>> know that if I ride conservatively and don't tear up the trail like some
>> sugar hyped teenager I am actually doing 'LESS' damage than a hiker
>> dragging his feet.
>> FWIW, high I.Q. and no Ph.D. trumps Ph.D. and Forrest Gump I.Q., period.

> LOL, we had one guy at work who had a Ph.D. and insisted that everyone
> address him as Dr. XXXXX. I remember at a company picnic in Santa Cruz,
> the CEO made an announcement, Dr. XXXXX will be organizing a volleyball
> game after lunch. The license plate on his car was "Dr. XXXXX."
>
> He was the most clueless employee at the company. We would all cringe when
> he would speak to customers, as he would promise them things that we all
> knew were totally impossible. I remember one instance where one of the
> most experienced employees was running down the hall screaming at him,
> "you're an idiot." We all wanted to cheer, but it would have been frowned
> upon.
>
> After a while, we all started calling each other Dr. whatever, and one day
> he heard the receptionist address me as Dr. Scharf. He asked if I had a
> doctorate, and I convinced him that I was a rabbi with a Doctor of
> Divinity degree, but that I had decided to be an engineer instead, and had
> an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering (that part is true).
>
> Outside of work, he wasn't a bad guy, he was just really convinced that
> his doctoral degree was something that everyone cared about.

I refuse to ever address anyone as Dr. unless they have something to do with
my health. In the colleges and universities, it is far more appropriate to
address those with higher degrees by the term professor or something akin to
that. Anyone who would insist on being addressed as Dr. because he has a
Ph.D. would be an idiot of the first magnitude. However, it is quite
appropriate to announce whatever degrees you have earned and where they are
from when presenting papers or publishing.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill Sornson wrote:
>> Great story. I remember MANY years ago, Prodigy had these bulletin board
>> things, and there was one character who always signed his name ____ so &
>> so, PhD. It wasn't a pre-typed sig FILE; he just added it to every
>> single post he made. He also referred often to it in his comments, even
>> though he wasn't a computer sciences expert by any means. ("As a
>> DOCTOR..." "you're not a DOCTOR", etc.) It was pathetically humorous,
>> or humorously pathetic; not sure which.
>>
>> Sorni

> Good for you.
> Anything that stomps these guys ego is worth the bother. Many get the
> Ph.D. just by showing up for school 8 years in a row after college. Could
> it be that the parents are glad to pay tuition to get the dipshit out of
> the house?

Actually, by the time you get a Ph.D. you are most likely one of the
humblest persons in the world because you truly know what you don't know.
That is something that Bill Baka need never concern himself with. An
ignoramus like him always think he knows all there is to know and what he
doesn't know is not worth knowing.

Bill Baka is a very dark and mysterious person indeed. I think he may be an
Australian aborigine who has somehow landed in California. Anyone on the
newsgroup have a picture of him? I know he is ugly, but just how ugly - yea,
that is the question!

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:20:31 -0700, Edward Dolan <[email protected]> wrote:

> I refuse to ever address anyone as Dr. unless they have something to do
> with
> my health. In the colleges and universities, it is far more appropriate
> address those with higher degrees by the term professor or something
> akin to
> that. Anyone who would insist on being addressed as Dr. because he has a
> Ph.D. would be an idiot of the first magnitude. However, it is quite
> appropriate to announce whatever degrees you have earned and where they
> are
> from when presenting papers or publishing.
>
> Regards,

I've only run into one professor who demanded to be called by his first
name. He's pretty cool. I took 3 classes with him. Everyone else throws a
tantrum if you dare to address them without the Dr.
____
Slack

SMS wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>

>> YOU ***NEVER*** WILL GET IT WILL YOU?

> The important thing to remember is that all the experts, and all the
> evidence agrees that trail impact and wildlife impact of hiking and
> mountain biking is about the same.

Do ANY of them ride or just tell others what to do?
I have the same problem with the AMA (motorcycle association).
They tell you that you simply MUST down shift through all the gears
coming to a stop and some other really bad advice. I don't think the
rule makers actually ride.

> If someone presents evidence to the contrary then of course it deserves
> a look, but so far, no one has been able to present any. You'd think
> that after all these years of mountain biking, someone would have come
> up with some evidence if there were any. But they haven't and there isn't.

Agreed. Whether I hike a trail or ride it I am taking my weight over it
exactly once each way, except that the bike and gear adds about 50
pounds and the downhills are faster. I keep it under 20 MPH and try to
never skid and put ruts in the road. How much difference can there be
without the teenage antics? Add to that some of the places I go a hiker
or teenager would not have the endurance to get to and I am thinking
minimum impact. A smoker might raise all kinds of hell by starting a
fire but that is a whole new issue.
Bill (careful with nature) Baka

Edward Dolan wrote:
> I refuse to ever address anyone as Dr. unless they have something to do with
> my health. In the colleges and universities, it is far more appropriate to
> address those with higher degrees by the term professor or something akin to
> that. Anyone who would insist on being addressed as Dr. because he has a
> Ph.D. would be an idiot of the first magnitude.

It is quite out of my nature to reply to your posts, but on this I agree
100% because I have known first magnitude idiots with advanced degrees.
I had to fire a guy with a masters in electronics because he walked up
to me holding a ***METAL*** power transistor with 2 leads sticking out
and he asked me where the third lead was. We were in the test department
at the time and all the technicians knew, but this guy was a loud mouth
and said "I am a better engineer because I have a masters and you
don't.". When I told him he was holding the third lead, metal, duh, I
had no choice but to let him go when all the test technicians almost
fell off their stools laughing.
Education just doesn't make up for built in dumb.

However, it is quite
> appropriate to announce whatever degrees you have earned and where they are
> from when presenting papers or publishing.

I have had a few papers informally published in electronics magazines
but I only put my name and not my rank and serial number. If the editor
likes it enough to publish it, then that is good enough for me.
Bill (keep guessing) Baka

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Bill Sornson wrote:
>>> Great story. I remember MANY years ago, Prodigy had these bulletin board
>>> things, and there was one character who always signed his name ____ so &
>>> so, PhD. It wasn't a pre-typed sig FILE; he just added it to every
>>> single post he made. He also referred often to it in his comments, even
>>> though he wasn't a computer sciences expert by any means. ("As a
>>> DOCTOR..." "you're not a DOCTOR", etc.) It was pathetically humorous,
>>> or humorously pathetic; not sure which.
>>>
>>> Sorni

>> Good for you.
>> Anything that stomps these guys ego is worth the bother. Many get the
>> Ph.D. just by showing up for school 8 years in a row after college. Could
>> it be that the parents are glad to pay tuition to get the dipshit out of
>> the house?

> Actually, by the time you get a Ph.D. you are most likely one of the
> humblest persons in the world because you truly know what you don't know.

You must not know any 20 something Ph.D.s then. They all think they are
"King ****" until someone like me knocks them down.

> That is something that Bill Baka need never concern himself with. An
> ignoramus like him always think he knows all there is to know and what he
> doesn't know is not worth knowing.

Mr. Ed., come out of your stall and play with me one on one and I will
make your intellect look like that of a fruit fly. I don't have time to
pop into Word and make a literary masterpiece out of every post, but I
could take you on with half my brain tied behind my back.

> Bill Baka is a very dark and mysterious person indeed. I think he may be an
> Australian aborigine who has somehow landed in California. Anyone on the
> newsgroup have a picture of him? I know he is ugly, but just how ugly - yea,
> that is the question!

Total fool that you are I wonder why I bother. I posted my picture once
with my bike and the only complaint I got was to put my shirt on for
photographic self portraits. Gee, I am so sorry it was a 100 degree day
and I didn't think of it at the time. Maybe I should wax my legs and
wear Lycra nice and tight so you can get a thrill. You have already
alleged that women don't do it for you. I am 58 with still black hair,
read still have hair. I have friends and neighbors in their 40's that
are gray and bald and fat. Be brave, oh Great One <giggle, snark,
heee-heee>. We all need a good laugh.

Ed,
I just got done saying nice things about you and now you show your true
character as a dark spirited clown.
You stay in the kill file.
Bill Baka

"Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:20:31 -0700, Edward Dolan <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> I refuse to ever address anyone as Dr. unless they have something to do
>> with
>> my health. In the colleges and universities, it is far more appropriate
>> address those with higher degrees by the term professor or something
>> akin to
>> that. Anyone who would insist on being addressed as Dr. because he has a
>> Ph.D. would be an idiot of the first magnitude. However, it is quite
>> appropriate to announce whatever degrees you have earned and where they
>> are
>> from when presenting papers or publishing.

> I've only run into one professor who demanded to be called by his first
> name. He's pretty cool. I took 3 classes with him. Everyone else throws a
> tantrum if you dare to address them without the Dr.

I can hardly believe what you are saying! Of course, students can be easily
intimidated by their teachers. But by God, I would just like to see anyone
insist that I call them Dr. unless they are in fact a doctor, a dentist,
etc. Such a jerk would never hear the end of it from one so Great as Myself.
I would never even call such a teacher professor after that, which is as
good as any address ever gets in my book. Nay, he would henceforth be
nothing but a Mr. along with the rest of humanity, and if he didn't like
that, well ... you can just imagine where it would go from there!

I respect Ph.D.s but I am not in awe of them. They have to behave themselves
just like everyone else or else they will reap the whirlwind.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> I refuse to ever address anyone as Dr. unless they have something to do
>> with my health. In the colleges and universities, it is far more
>> appropriate to address those with higher degrees by the term professor or
>> something akin to that. Anyone who would insist on being addressed as Dr.
>> because he has a Ph.D. would be an idiot of the first magnitude.

> It is quite out of my nature to reply to your posts, but on this I agree
> 100% because I have known first magnitude idiots with advanced degrees.
> I had to fire a guy with a masters in electronics because he walked up to
> me holding a ***METAL*** power transistor with 2 leads sticking out and he
> asked me where the third lead was. We were in the test department at the
> time and all the technicians knew, but this guy was a loud mouth and said
> "I am a better engineer because I have a masters and you don't.". When I
> told him he was holding the third lead, metal, duh, I had no choice but to
> let him go when all the test technicians almost fell off their stools
> laughing.
> Education just doesn't make up for built in dumb.

Bill, you will have to read my posts because you never know what I will say
on anything. After a while you will be able to seperate the wheat from the
chaff, at which point you will learn to enjoy me. I have taken note of the
fact that you are not a total idiot and there may be more common ground than
you think.

> However, it is quite
>> appropriate to announce whatever degrees you have earned and where they
>> are from when presenting papers or publishing.

> I have had a few papers informally published in electronics magazines but
> I only put my name and not my rank and serial number. If the editor likes
> it enough to publish it, then that is good enough for me.
> Bill (keep guessing) Baka

I think I would always include my degrees and where they are from when being
published. If you earned them, then you have a right to announce it in
certain venues. There is no point at all in false modesty in the kind of
world we are living in today.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 00:27:24 GMT, Bill <[email protected]>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>> Let Vandeman fade out please. I don't have a Ph.D. in bicycling but I
>>> know that if I ride conservatively and don't tear up the trail like
>>> some sugar hyped teenager I am actually doing 'LESS' damage than a
>>> hiker dragging his feet.
>>> FWIW, high I.Q. and no Ph.D. trumps Ph.D. and Forrest Gump I.Q., period.

>> LOL, we had one guy at work who had a Ph.D. and insisted that everyone
>> address him as Dr. XXXXX. I remember at a company picnic in Santa Cruz,
>> the CEO made an announcement, Dr. XXXXX will be organizing a volleyball
>> game after lunch. The license plate on his car was "Dr. XXXXX."

>I had one of those but I outranked him in the company food chain, so I
>just yelled "Hey college brat." or something else at him to get him to
>listen up. He turned so red in the face I thought he was going to
>explode but he couldn't say anything, at least not to me. I was in the
>weird position of being his boss / mentor, since he was so clueless out
>of a classroom.
>>
>> He was the most clueless employee at the company. We would all cringe
>> when he would speak to customers, as he would promise them things that
>> we all knew were totally impossible. I remember one instance where one
>> of the most experienced employees was running down the hall screaming at
>> him, "you're an idiot." We all wanted to cheer, but it would have been
>> frowned upon.

>I worked at one company that hired a Ph.D., with a very well known last
>name, son of a company founder, just so they could trot him out with his
>Ph.D. and call him the 'company scientist'. It was a joke but he was at
>least a nice guy and just went by his first name so we all got along.
>>
>> After a while, we all started calling each other Dr. whatever, and one
>> day he heard the receptionist address me as Dr. Scharf. He asked if I
>> had a doctorate, and I convinced him that I was a rabbi with a Doctor of
>> Divinity degree, but that I had decided to be an engineer instead, and
>> had an undergraduate degree in electrical engineering (that part is true).

>Good one.
>>
>> Outside of work, he wasn't a bad guy, he was just really convinced that
>> his doctoral degree was something that everyone cared about.

>Sort of the same with my guy "Company brat.". He even joined us for
>pizza and beer after work a few times. Some of the other engineers were
>in Mensa but he wasn't, so that may have humbled him after work.
>
>Now for one downer, but true story.
>I was one of the engineers who had to deal with the semiconductor clean
>room test equipment back around 1986-1987 at a company, still around,
>called Supertex. The manager's name was William Mansera and if someone
>called him Bill he just totally blew up and yelled "My name is William,
>and you will call me that.". We never did, just to irritate him.
>Apparently it worked too well because one night he went home and shot
>his wife and 2 children and then blew his own brains out.

And you added that to your resume, I suppose?

>He lived down in Morgan hill but the story made big news all the way up
>to Sunnyvale, where he worked.
>Him we didn't miss, but we all felt bad about his wife and kids.
>"Hi honey, I'm home"....Blam.
>After that every time something went wrong it was blamed on his ghost.
>
>Some people just need to lighten up, and I think we have a few more than
>just the obvious Dolan.
>Life is too short.
>Ride, breathe, enjoy the pain in your legs, it lets you know you're alive.
>Bill Baka

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 23:32:52 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Bill Sornson wrote:
>>> Great story. I remember MANY years ago, Prodigy had these bulletin board
>>> things, and there was one character who always signed his name ____ so &
>>> so, PhD. It wasn't a pre-typed sig FILE; he just added it to every
>>> single post he made. He also referred often to it in his comments, even
>>> though he wasn't a computer sciences expert by any means. ("As a
>>> DOCTOR..." "you're not a DOCTOR", etc.) It was pathetically humorous,
>>> or humorously pathetic; not sure which.
>>>
>>> Sorni

>> Good for you.
>> Anything that stomps these guys ego is worth the bother. Many get the
>> Ph.D. just by showing up for school 8 years in a row after college. Could
>> it be that the parents are glad to pay tuition to get the dipshit out of
>> the house?

>Actually, by the time you get a Ph.D. you are most likely one of the
>humblest persons in the world because you truly know what you don't know.
>That is something that Bill Baka need never concern himself with. An
>ignoramus like him always think he knows all there is to know and what he
>doesn't know is not worth knowing.
>
>Bill Baka is a very dark and mysterious person indeed. I think he may be an
>Australian aborigine who has somehow landed in California. Anyone on the
>newsgroup have a picture of him? I know he is ugly, but just how ugly - yea,
>that is the question!

Mountain bikers, you have met your match! This is my new favorite
post....

>Regards,
>
>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>aka
>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 05:20:56 GMT, Bill <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Good for you.
>>> Anything that stomps these guys ego is worth the bother. Many get the
>>> Ph.D. just by showing up for school 8 years in a row after college. Could
>>> it be that the parents are glad to pay tuition to get the dipshit out of
>>> the house?

>> Actually, by the time you get a Ph.D. you are most likely one of the
>> humblest persons in the world because you truly know what you don't know.

>You must not know any 20 something Ph.D.s then. They all think they are
>"King ****" until someone like me knocks them down.
>
>> That is something that Bill Baka need never concern himself with. An
>> ignoramus like him always think he knows all there is to know and what he
>> doesn't know is not worth knowing.

>Mr. Ed., come out of your stall and play with me one on one and I will
>make your intellect look like that of a fruit fly. I don't have time to
>pop into Word and make a literary masterpiece out of every post, but I
>could take you on with half my brain tied behind my back.

Leave it to a mountain biker to TOTALLY miss the point: brains are
WORTHLESS without HONESTY! Mountain bikers are totally allergic to
telling the truth. That's why it is so easy for Ed & I to wrap them
around our little fingers.

>> Bill Baka is a very dark and mysterious person indeed. I think he may be an
>> Australian aborigine who has somehow landed in California. Anyone on the
>> newsgroup have a picture of him? I know he is ugly, but just how ugly - yea,
>> that is the question!

>Total fool that you are I wonder why I bother. I posted my picture once
>with my bike and the only complaint I got was to put my shirt on for
>photographic self portraits. Gee, I am so sorry it was a 100 degree day
>and I didn't think of it at the time. Maybe I should wax my legs and
>wear Lycra nice and tight so you can get a thrill. You have already
>alleged that women don't do it for you. I am 58 with still black hair,
>read still have hair. I have friends and neighbors in their 40's that
>are gray and bald and fat. Be brave, oh Great One <giggle, snark,
>heee-heee>. We all need a good laugh.
>
>Ed,
>I just got done saying nice things about you and now you show your true
>character as a dark spirited clown.
>You stay in the kill file.
>Bill Baka
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>> aka
>> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 02:45:23 GMT, Bill <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Mike Vandeman wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 21:26:09 GMT, Bill <[email protected]>
>> wrote:

>>> I have done a lot of hiking and have seen families with over active kids
>>> kicking up everything in sight or throwing it. That is more the point of
>>> what I meant.

>> I'm sule mountain bikers' kids are no different. But we are talking
>> about adults. The SCIENCE proves that mountain biking does far more
>> damage than hiking.

>YOU ***NEVER*** WILL GET IT WILL YOU?
>Riding mellow does not hurt the trail.

Mountain bikers' ignorance of basic biology is LEGENDARY. Thanks for
proving that once again. Animals killed by "mellow" riders are just as
dead as animals killed by gonzo riders. Erosion caused by "mellow"
riders is just as bad as erosion caused by gonzo riders. Hikers
driven away by "mellow" riders are just as gone as hikers driven away
by gonzo riders. It's elementary. Try telling the truth for once in
your worthless life.

>Teenage and twenty something antics mess things up with or without a bike.
>DDDDDUUUUUUHHHHHHH, RRRRAAAALLLLPPPPHHHH!!!
>Bill (Fed up with fools) Baka
>>
>>> Do you want 'adults only' trails? Even with adults I have seen them
>>> start out with a six pack of beer for 'hydration' and return with no
>>> cans packed out. It seems like you are selectively "Choosing your poison.".
>>> Bill Baka

>> ===
>> I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
>> humans ("pure habitat"). Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
>> years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)
>>
>> http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 20:25:31 -0700, SMS <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Bill wrote:
>

>> YOU ***NEVER*** WILL GET IT WILL YOU?

>The important thing to remember is that all the experts, and all the
>evidence agrees that trail impact and wildlife impact of hiking and
>mountain biking is about the same.
>
>If someone presents evidence to the contrary then of course it deserves
>a look, but so far, no one has been able to present any. You'd think
>that after all these years of mountain biking, someone would have come
>up with some evidence if there were any. But they haven't and there isn't.

I have. And most people don't care, because to them it's OBVIOUS that
mountain biking is more harmful than hiking.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 04:59:52 GMT, Bill <[email protected]>
wrote:

>SMS wrote:
>> Bill wrote:
>>

>>> YOU ***NEVER*** WILL GET IT WILL YOU?

>> The important thing to remember is that all the experts, and all the
>> evidence agrees that trail impact and wildlife impact of hiking and
>> mountain biking is about the same.

>Do ANY of them ride or just tell others what to do?
>I have the same problem with the AMA (motorcycle association).
>They tell you that you simply MUST down shift through all the gears
>coming to a stop and some other really bad advice. I don't think the
>rule makers actually ride.
>>
>> If someone presents evidence to the contrary then of course it deserves
>> a look, but so far, no one has been able to present any. You'd think
>> that after all these years of mountain biking, someone would have come
>> up with some evidence if there were any. But they haven't and there isn't.

>Agreed. Whether I hike a trail or ride it I am taking my weight over it
>exactly once each way,

Tell the truth! Mountain bikers travel several times as far as hikers.

except that the bike and gear adds about 50
>pounds and the downhills are faster. I keep it under 20 MPH

I tru never to hike over 2 MPH. Quite a difference....

and try to
>never skid

IMPOSSIBLE. Wherever trails are steep or the soil is loose, you will
skid.

and put ruts in the road. How much difference can there be
>without the teenage antics?

Hikers can easily step over animals on the trail. Bikers cannot. They
will crush them every time.