Re: Near Miss from Trying to Signal

David Martin

Guest
On 10/5/04 2:05 pm, in article [email protected], "JohnB"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
>>
>> I'm no closer to being able to take my hands off the handlebars to
>> signal direction than I was a year ago.

> its a problem i've come across with several riders I teach.
> I'd suggest you go to a quiet playground or car park and practice.
>
> Firstly ride along in a straight line, take your hand from the bars and
> just leave your arm hanging loose while you ride while keeping eyes ahead.
> Usually this is very easy.

If it isn't easy then it may be because you are pulling on the handlebars.

Some people have a death-grip on the handlebars, being convinced that if
they let go the bike will crash. They keep it straight by pulling on both
sides. Taking one hand off the bars means that the pull is asymmetric and
the bike veers.

To counter this there are two things to try. One is to just place the hand
flat on the handlebar with the fingers open so that you cannot pull. The
other is to try to push the handlebars as well as pull. This lets you move
the balance back to the bum instead of the hands.

...d