Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Re: New stems vs. quills - New features ?

Started by A Muzi · · Last activity · 6 posts · 316 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
24 September 2004
Last activity
24 September 2004
Original author
A Muzi
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
316
Views / 30 days
6
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Retro Bob said:

    OK... having been out of the bicycle arena for about 25-30 years, I've
    recently returned. I'm having trouble getting my hands around some
    changes, but I'm getting there. The one that has me the most confused
    is the new style stems vs. the quill design. What are the advantages
    to the new design ? I can;t see an overall weight advantage, it's
    not simpler, it's definitely not more elegant... ?

    PS. Anyone know why there are so many stems (new style) for sale on
    Ebay ? A quick check show s 850+ for sale, out pacing even (all) tire
    listings by 2:1.

    As Sheldon once quipped, they allow you to get your stem
    lower. Just in case a rider ever walks into a bike shop
    asking for that some day.

    Seriously, that design permits very light materials in the
    steerer you could not use with a quill.

    The main disadvantage I see is that you need a new stem
    with a different angle if you want to change the height.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  2. A Muzi <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:


    The main disadvantage I see is that you need a new stem
    with a different angle if you want to change the height.

    Even worse, many shops chop the steerer down to the minimum height
    possible above the headset, so if you need to raise the bars more than
    a cm or two you need to add an adapter ('stem raiser'😉 or in the worse
    cases look for a new fork. Blech! Note to all shop owners and
    mechanics: leave the blanking steerers long and put spacers above the
    stem.

    - rick

  3. A Muzi <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Retro Bob said:

    OK... having been out of the bicycle arena for about 25-30 years, I've
    recently returned. I'm having trouble getting my hands around some
    changes, but I'm getting there. The one that has me the most confused
    is the new style stems vs. the quill design. What are the advantages
    to the new design ? I can;t see an overall weight advantage, it's
    not simpler, it's definitely not more elegant... ?

    PS. Anyone know why there are so many stems (new style) for sale on
    Ebay ? A quick check show s 850+ for sale, out pacing even (all) tire
    listings by 2:1.

    As Sheldon once quipped, they allow you to get your stem
    lower. Just in case a rider ever walks into a bike shop
    asking for that some day.

    Seriously, that design permits very light materials in the
    steerer you could not use with a quill.

    The main disadvantage I see is that you need a new stem
    with a different angle if you want to change the height.

    It would seem that many of the complaints about the adjustability of
    threadless would be avoided if bike manufacturers did not cut the
    steerer tubes too short at the factory, which they almost always do.
    Trying to make up for a too short steerer with a steeply angled stem
    is a losing game. Depending on the height desired, the required stem
    may not exist or is not stocked by the LBS. I may be paranoid but I
    suspect the reason for this is that manufacturers know that LBSs don't
    want to have to trim steerers as part of bike setup, and would prefer
    to make some extra $ on an "upgraded" stem.

  4. "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Retro Bob said:

    OK... having been out of the bicycle arena for about 25-30


    years, I've

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    recently returned. I'm having trouble getting my hands around


    some

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    changes, but I'm getting there. The one that has me the most


    confused

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is the new style stems vs. the quill design. What are the


    advantages

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to the new design ? I can;t see an overall weight advantage,


    it's

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not simpler, it's definitely not more elegant... ?

    PS. Anyone know why there are so many stems (new style) for


    sale on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ebay ? A quick check show s 850+ for sale, out pacing even


    (all) tire

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    listings by 2:1.

    As Sheldon once quipped, they allow you to get your stem
    lower. Just in case a rider ever walks into a bike shop
    asking for that some day.

    Seriously, that design permits very light materials in the
    steerer you could not use with a quill.

    The main disadvantage I see is that you need a new stem
    with a different angle if you want to change the height.

    With a +7 degree stem, for example, you can get a great amount of
    adjustability by flipping it over and changing spacers. And if
    you need more rise, you buy a different stem super cheap from
    Nashbar and others.

    I just switched a 25 year old steel bike to threadless, and
    although the Fisher-Price stack-'em up headseat thing is still a
    little odd to me, threadless has given me more height options
    than my old quill stems.-- Jay Beattie.

  5. (WTD) said:

    Depending on the height desired, the required stem
    may not exist or is not stocked by the LBS.

    This is true for quill stems as well.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  6. Jay Beattie said:


    "A Muzi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Retro Bob said:

    OK... having been out of the bicycle arena for about 25-30


    years, I've

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    recently returned. I'm having trouble getting my hands around


    some

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    changes, but I'm getting there. The one that has me the most


    confused

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    is the new style stems vs. the quill design. What are the


    advantages

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to the new design ? I can;t see an overall weight advantage,


    it's

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    not simpler, it's definitely not more elegant... ?

    PS. Anyone know why there are so many stems (new style) for


    sale on

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Ebay ? A quick check show s 850+ for sale, out pacing even


    (all) tire

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    listings by 2:1.

    As Sheldon once quipped, they allow you to get your stem
    lower. Just in case a rider ever walks into a bike shop
    asking for that some day.

    Seriously, that design permits very light materials in the
    steerer you could not use with a quill.

    The main disadvantage I see is that you need a new stem
    with a different angle if you want to change the height.

    With a +7 degree stem, for example, you can get a great amount of
    adjustability by flipping it over and changing spacers. And if
    you need more rise, you buy a different stem super cheap from
    Nashbar and others.

    I just switched a 25 year old steel bike to threadless, and
    although the Fisher-Price stack-'em up headseat thing is still a
    little odd to me, threadless has given me more height options
    than my old quill stems.-- Jay Beattie.

    I expected to not notice any advantage for threadless, and in fact
    there probably aren't many for me, other than being able to safely use
    a lighter steerer tube.

    But suprisingly, I find adjusting the bar height in some ways more
    convenient than with a quill stem. I ride with two positions -- one
    in general and a second one for time trials, and for switch it's nice
    to be able to adjust the stem height with no measurement -- I just
    move some spacers from below the stem to above and vice versa. I
    guess it's slower than with a quill stem, but it only requires an
    allen key, as opposed to an allen key and some measuring device or
    tape to mark heights.

    JT

    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.