Re: Normandy Luxe Hubs - Axles ?

A Muzi

Guest
Retro Bob wrote:

> Anyone know if there is anything special about a Normandy Luxe axle
> vs. a run of the mill Normandy hub ? I know the cones are different -
> but does the Luxe use a standard size axle ?

The Luxe or Luxe Competition hubs - Later Luxe hubs have a
gold or red foil sticker band in the center. All Luxe dust
caps are polished over so as to appear one piece as if part
of the hub shell itself - had a standard (m9x1 front, m10x1
rear) axle thread.

It's the 700 Professional, 600 and the corresponding
Helicomatic Pro hubs which have a fine ( m9x0.8 front,
m10x0.8 rear) thread.

AFAIK all the fine thread models have big 19mm wrench flats
on their shiny chromed locknuts. Those locknuts have
rounded corners and a deep serration . It's so visually
distinct you'll notice something's unusual right away before
you open it.

Back to your hubs. Luxe/Luxe Competition cones are indeed
weird. The cone is shallower with a more blunt profile than
the usual graceful curves of other loose ball hubs. They
still take ten 3/16" balls each side front and nine 1/4"
rear. I never heard a good explanation for that. Those cones
are the inverse of their contemporary first generation Dura
Ace cones which are smaller and longer with a deeper cut.
Those also use the standard bearing count and sizes.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org