what is my le tour luxe worth?

Hi, I have a nice blue Schwinn Le Tour Luxe from the early 80's and
want to sell it, what would a fair price be in the local paper? It's in
very good shape, with new tubes and tires and has never been left
outside when not being ridden.
Thanks for any info,
R. Hamm

On 3 Jul 2005 18:45:17 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> Hi, I have a nice blue Schwinn Le Tour Luxe from the early 80's and
>want to sell it, what would a fair price be in the local paper? It's in
>very good shape, with new tubes and tires and has never been left
>outside when not being ridden.
>Thanks for any info,
>R. Hamm

Dear R.,

This le tour luxe isn't selling so far on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7166186276&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

If you're an eBay member, you can checkmark "completed
listings only" here on eBay's advanced search and search for
letour luxe and le tour luxe:

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/AdvSearch?sofindtype=13&ssPageName=h:h:advsearch:US

(Membership is no-fee, but you have to give them an email
address and a credit card.)

This large-frame le tour luxe sold for $71 + shipping:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98084&item=7162991588&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

If nothing else, the auction listings will give you an idea
of the details that people supply.

Good luck,

Carl Fogel

Thanks, a couple months ago I did a lot of searches on eBay and found
some like mine selling for around $140 or so, I just wonder how much
$45 in shipping affects the price, I am thinking of $155 O.B.O.(local
paper), then I can get some calls and bids on the phone, I have an eBay
account but I never sell large objects on it.
~R

The condition of the bike can vary the price by up to 3x. If it looks
brand-new or NOS, then $150 would not be unreasonable. If the
drivetrain is badly worn with and the bike has any rust or large
scratches and nicks in the paint, then $50 might be too much.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi, I have a nice blue Schwinn Le Tour Luxe from the early 80's and
> want to sell it, what would a fair price be in the local paper? It's in
> very good shape, with new tubes and tires and has never been left
> outside when not being ridden.
> Thanks for any info,
> R. Hamm

I bought an identical bike a couple of years ago from a dealer at a bike
show. In my case, the bike was virtually NOS, since there was no
evidence of any wear on the rims, bar tape, sprockets or rings. The
dealer had replaced tubes and tires. I paid $100 for it. I thought that
was a little high, since I don't consider any of the components from
that era and bike quality equivalent to even cheap modern stuff, but the
frame was 68cm, which is rare these days. $100 for an old, middling
quality frame is a bit much, but worth it for a 68.

I rode it a few times just to recapture that original 80's experience --
things have come a long way...

Wow, I own the 1986 Le Tour Luxe, bought it new, and it's an incredible well built bike. I belong to other Bike Forums, that have members that are from the Schwinn family, and have worked on racing and touring bikes from long before the 80's, have lots of experience with Schwinn, and the Le Tour Luxe of 1986 was a very well made bike, with nice components on it. You just can't find bikes like it any longer without spending in the $700-$1000 range. It is a touring, and not so much a racing bike, although I competed in triathalons with mine in the 80's. Mine is still in mint condition, and rides beautifully. Whenever I switch around from the Fuji's and Treks then back to the Le Tour, I really notice a comfortable change. So many of my fellow biking friends make the same comments, and like to ride it. The nice thing about it was, it was durable yet light, so it could still be used well in racing, yet it's durability allowed it to withstand the rough streets of Philly without getting beat up, as many of the lighter Japanese racing bikes would. That is one of the areas that it excelled in, without being heavy like the Continentals, and similar "Built Like Tank" bikes...those were "heavier built" but you also felt the extra weight when riding/racing. The gear ranges on the Le Tour Luxe make riding hills, both up and down a breeze.