Re: OT: One for the computer gurus

Richard Goodman

> in message <[email protected]>, > If you use Squid
> as a proxy you can configure it to regularly collect
> block lists from one or more of a number of places that maintain block
> lists. But there is not a perfect answer to this problem, and in any
> case your blocking criteria may not be the same as anyone else's.
> <URL:http://www.squid-cache.org/>

Ah, that might be an idea worth looking into, but I thank everyone for their
replies. It does seem like it basically comes down to an AUP though - no
magic bullet after all, as I suspected!

Rich

iakobski <[email protected]> wrote:

: At home, we once had a piece of spyware which was an advert for a
: popup-blocker. The problem was, it's method of proving how much you
: need a popup blocker was to spawn 15 popup windows containing content
: from pron websites. Not funny with children in the room.

The solution to this sort of stuff is

a) Use Firefox not IE
b) Install Adaware
c) Keep fully patched (not always possible unless you are on broadband though)

Spyware/viruses are a separate problem.

Arthur

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes

On 25/4/05 10:22 am, in article
[email protected], "iakobski"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> It does depend on your users, though.
>
> At home, we once had a piece of spyware which was an advert for a
> popup-blocker. The problem was, it's method of proving how much you
> need a popup blocker was to spawn 15 popup windows containing content
> from pron websites. Not funny with children in the room.
>
> So, despite the arguments about user education, trust, etc. I want to
> avoid any of this accidentally happenning again. I wouldn't allow pron
> to be posted through the door, why should I allow it to come in on a
> wire?
>
> My solution is to run a proxy server - Squid - plus a url filter -
> SquidGuard - plus a nightly cron to download the latest blacklists. The
> router blocks access from all machines bar the proxy server. Sometimes
> a site I regard as acceptable is on the blacklist. It's easy to add
> those to a list of overrides. I've been running like this for 2 years
> now, 8 PCs 1 server, with no problems whatsoever. Richard, if you want
> any hints on setting it up, I'll gladly assist.

I'd appreciate links to a tutorial. I'm running Squid on my firewall/
utility box (default with Mandrake) and some pointers would help.

...d

in message <[email protected]>,
iakobski ('[email protected]') wrote:

> It does depend on your users, though.
>
> At home, we once had a piece of spyware which was an advert for a
> popup-blocker. The problem was, it's method of proving how much you
> need a popup blocker was to spawn 15 popup windows containing content
> from pron websites. Not funny with children in the room.
>
> So, despite the arguments about user education, trust, etc. I want to
> avoid any of this accidentally happenning again. I wouldn't allow pron
> to be posted through the door, why should I allow it to come in on a
> wire?
>
> My solution is to run a proxy server - Squid - plus a url filter -
> SquidGuard - plus a nightly cron to download the latest blacklists.
> The router blocks access from all machines bar the proxy server.
> Sometimes a site I regard as acceptable is on the blacklist. It's easy
> to add those to a list of overrides. I've been running like this for 2
> years now, 8 PCs 1 server, with no problems whatsoever. Richard, if
> you want any hints on setting it up, I'll gladly assist.

Yup, I set up a similar solution a few years ago for a company who were
running computer training for unemployed people. It was very easy to
set up and configure. Downloading of blacklists was automatic and once
set up the system required no further intervention.

Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
;; the Worlock

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Yup, I set up a similar solution a few years ago for a company who were
> running computer training for unemployed people. It was very easy to
> set up and configure. Downloading of blacklists was automatic and once
> set up the system required no further intervention.

I well remember in the early days of computers when they had an
exhibition at the Science Museum. To prevent kids typing in all sorts of
naughty words, they programmed it not to display a whole range of words.
Within a day of the exhibition opening some kid had hacked it and got
the forbidden word file scrolling up the display screen :)

Tony

Yes, do all those, and recommend them to everyone around. I guess I
didn't mean spyware, I meant adware (sloppy).

I'm moving the kids over to Linux terminals (they are very keen,
especially as you can get MSN open source clone) and they tend to
prefer it over windows.

The info on http://www.squidguard.org/ is fairly old, but it works.

This is my auto update script (one day I'll add error checking :) ):
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/squidGuard/db
rm -f blacklists.tgz
wget http://squidguard.mesd.k12.or.us/blacklists.tgz
tar -xzf blacklists.tgz
/usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -k reconfigure
exit

Once you've got the config file right for your preferences, it will
automatically use the bits of the blacklists that are important to you.

On 26/4/05 11:04 am, in article
[email protected], "iakobski"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> The info on http://www.squidguard.org/ is fairly old, but it works.
>
> This is my auto update script (one day I'll add error checking :) ):
> #!/bin/sh
> cd /usr/local/squidGuard/db
> rm -f blacklists.tgz
> wget http://squidguard.mesd.k12.or.us/blacklists.tgz
> tar -xzf blacklists.tgz
> /usr/local/squid/sbin/squid -k reconfigure
> exit
>
> Once you've got the config file right for your preferences, it will
> automatically use the bits of the blacklists that are important to you.

Many thanks.

Just done an 'urpmi squidguard' and will do the configuration shortly..

Done (I think).. I'll test it when I get home.

...d

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 11:56:19 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote:

>urpmi squidguard

West Country software?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound