I also lost some time in the singletrack trying to figure out how to pass her (oh, the irony,
after my
Quoted message said:
question last night) -- ended up staying behind her through the
singletrack;
Quoted message said:
she then told me to pass as it widened.
The general rule of passing etiquette in races I've run is: if they're not in your class, move aside and let them by. If they _are_ in your class, make them earn it. One of my more satisfying moments in a race was having a very impatient dude behind me on the singletrack who nearly took me out barging by. Passed by him on a knife-edge ridge about a half mile later. He had evidently tried the same trick on the guy in front of me and ended up tumbling down a fifteen foot embankment into a swamp. Never saw him again. Nonetheless, one of my great frustrations in races has always been people who don't move off to the side of the trail when they're pushing their bike. People in the saddle should always have right of way over people hoofing it. That's nice in theory, but nobody's very good at tricky technical climbs in a a race anyway. Too much adrenaline. My race technique for short techinical climbs, especially crowded ones, is to do a clean dismount, shoulder the bike, and sprint up the hill cyclocross-style. You can pass a half a dozen people at a time that way if you're smooth. This is another advantage of a hardail over a FS in a race: you can get your shoulder into the front triangle and run.
Another excellent technique for when you're blocked behind somebody on the singletrack is to start singing. It is very unnerving to have some crazed [censored] on right your rear wheel yodeling "Roxaaaaane, you don't have to put out the red light..." severely off-key.
Another excellent technique for when you're blocked behind somebody on the singletrack is to start singing. It is very unnerving to have some crazed [censored] on right your rear wheel yodeling "Roxaaaaane, you don't have to put out the red light..." severely off-key.
Heh, I do that during my normal rides. Usually it's "Macho Man" by the Village People, but last week I had "Puss in Boots" by Adam Ant stuck in my head. Ya gotta let it out. 😉
Another excellent technique for when you're blocked behind somebody on the singletrack is to start singing. It is very unnerving to have some crazed [censored] on right your rear wheel yodeling "Roxaaaaane, you don't have to put out the red light..." severely off-key.
Heh, I do that during my normal rides. Usually it's "Macho Man" by the Village People, but last week I had "Puss in Boots" by Adam Ant stuck in my head. Ya gotta let it out. 😉
gabrielle
So I'm not the only one that gets really weird music in my head. It's never anything "good" either. Last two I remember were early Jackson Five "blue sky" and Elton John - I guess that's why they call it the blues. Good for swoopy fun trails I guess, but my alter ego screams... ack, where did THAT come from?
Another excellent technique for when you're blocked behind somebody on the singletrack is to start singing. It is very unnerving to have some crazed [censored] on right your rear wheel yodeling "Roxaaaaane, you don't have to put out the red light..." severely off-key.
Heh, I do that during my normal rides. Usually it's "Macho Man" by the Village People, but last week I had "Puss in Boots" by Adam Ant stuck in my head. Ya gotta let it out. 😉
gabrielle
So I'm not the only one that gets really weird music in my head. It's never anything "good" either. Last two I remember were early Jackson Five "blue sky" and Elton John - I guess that's why they call it the blues. Good for swoopy fun trails I guess, but my alter ego screams... ack, where did THAT come from?
Henry Mancini kills me. Once got Moon River in my brain on a nasty climb. Miserable. Peter Gunn would be OK though, especially the Art of Noise/Duane Eddy version.
Heh, I do that during my normal rides. Usually it's "Macho Man" by the Village People, but last week I had "Puss in Boots" by Adam Ant stuck in my head. Ya gotta let it out. 😉
gabrielle?>
Yeah that was me singing the Hills Are Alive in ID... I thought I heard someone else singing it later.. just a matter of infection :-)
Another excellent technique for when you're blocked behind somebody on the singletrack is to start singing. It is very unnerving to have some crazed [censored] on right your rear wheel yodeling "Roxaaaaane, you don't have to put out the red light..." severely off-key.
Isn't that song off key by nature? In any case, I like the idea. Another idea might be to start commenting on how much you like their ass.
So I'm not the only one that gets really weird music in my head. It's never anything "good" either. Last two I remember were early Jackson Five "blue sky" and Elton John - I guess that's why they call it the blues. Good for swoopy fun trails I guess, but my alter ego screams... ack, where did THAT come from?
I seem to get the 'here comes Darth Vader' music stuck in my head. I even find myself whistling it sometimes. I must have some need to explore my dark side.
I seem to get the 'here comes Darth Vader' music stuck in my head. I even find myself whistling it sometimes. I must have some need to explore my dark side.
Yeah, its "Ride of the Valkyries" from Wagner for me...similar theme.
-- -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
I seem to get the 'here comes Darth Vader' music stuck in my head. I even find myself whistling it sometimes. I must have some need to explore my dark side.
Yeah, its "Ride of the Valkyries" from Wagner for me...similar theme.
With Robert Duvall's voice talking about the smell of napalm in the morning. Yeah I get that one too. ;-)
Another excellent technique for when you're blocked behind somebody on the singletrack is to start singing. It is very unnerving to have some crazed [censored] on right your rear wheel yodeling "Roxaaaaane, you don't have to put out the red light..." severely off-key.
Isn't that song off key by nature? In any case, I like the idea. Another idea might be to start commenting on how much you like their ass.
*monique weighs the chance of a harrassment suit and/or getting beat up against the chance of such an implied offer being accepted and decides that neither outcome is particularly attractive ... even if some of the hardbodies in the race are.
-- monique
"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." -- Mark Twain
So I'm not the only one that gets really weird music in my head. It's never anything "good" either. Last two I remember were early Jackson Five "blue sky" and Elton John - I guess that's why they call it the blues. Good for swoopy fun trails I guess, but my alter ego screams... ack, where did THAT come from?
Last night's ride was The Who's 'Pinball Wizard'. I was quite happy with that.
Another excellent technique for when you're blocked behind somebody on the singletrack is to start singing. It is very unnerving to have some crazed [censored] on right your rear wheel yodeling "Roxaaaaane, you don't have to put out the red light..." severely off-key.
The general rule of passing etiquette in races I've run is: if they're not in your class, move aside and let them by. If they _are_ in your class, make them earn it.
Eric told me that in some races, they write your group number on your calf so that, as someone approaches, they can tell if you're competition or not. That would certainly have come in handy this weekend, but they didn't do it.
-- monique
"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." -- Mark Twain
The general rule of passing etiquette in races I've run is: if they're not in your class, move aside and let them by. If they _are_ in your class, make them earn it.
Eric told me that in some races, they write your group number on your calf so that, as someone approaches, they can tell if you're competition or not. That would certainly have come in handy this weekend, but they didn't do it.
Eric told me that in some races, they write your group number on your calf so that, as someone approaches, they can tell if you're competition or not. That would certainly have come in handy this weekend, but they didn't do it.
That a common triathlon thing.
Odd. I didn't *think* he flirted with the dark side ...
-- monique
"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live." -- Mark Twain