Re: Replace SunTour freewheel w/ Shimano?

Ryan Cousineau

Strayhorn <[email protected]> wrote:

> Noob seeks advice -
>
> Did my usual yard-sale thing last weekend and picked up a very nice
> Raleigh Super Course for $5. It appears to be a mid-80s vintage with
> some minor upgrades.
>
> Part of the tinkering by the Dreaded Previous Owner (as we call them in
> sports cars circles) was on the 6-speed Suntour freewheel. The lowest
> gear is an 18, which makes life difficult for an older guy like me who
> lives in a very hilly area.
>
> So I guess my options would be to scour the boondocks for old SunTour
> sprockets in the 24-30 tooth range, or to replace the freewheel
> altogether. The latter course seems to promise more success.

Don't bother looking for replacement Suntours.

> I was looking at the new Shimano "C" type thread-on freewheels, 11-28.
> These are apparently new on the market.
>
> So the base question is whether this new 7-speed freewheel would replace
> the older SunTour 6-speed. I'm guessing the wheels are Weinmann or
> Araya, those seem to be the usual choices for Raleigh.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. If you're feeling especially weary, the
11-34 is a great choice too, giving you triple-style gear ranges on a
double.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/mega7/

These Hyperglide-equipped freewheels, as well as being favourites of
Sheldon's for technical reasons, will also make a noticeable improvement
in shifting, even on a bike with friction shifters.

I have run 7-speed freewheels on my mid-80s Bianchi commuter, and
they're excellent. My father uses the same stuff on his commuter, though
I am a little ashamed that he uses and enjoys a 28-34 low gear, thanks
to a triple and the Mega-7 11-34. I'd better get him to do some hill
repeats with me :).

39-34 should be enough for anyone,
--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Strayhorn <[email protected]> wrote:

Snippage; Ryan replied:
> Don't bother looking for replacement Suntours.

Muzi's got SunTour cogs, and there are lots of whole SunTour freewheels
on Ebay, many of them new. [also see question below]

>>So the base question is whether this new 7-speed freewheel would replace
>>the older SunTour 6-speed.

> These Hyperglide-equipped freewheels, as well as being favourites of
> Sheldon's for technical reasons, will also make a noticeable improvement
> in shifting, even on a bike with friction shifters.

Agreed that hyperglide would help shifting a lot.

Question 1: I've a tandem with Phil Wood rear hub [read: axle spacing
not easy to change at home.] It has 5-speed spacing (or ultra-six) on
the right.* Will the Shimano 6-speed freewheel be a narrow "ultra"
width that will fit, or would it require a wider spacing on the right
side of the axle?

Question 2: Are the shimano freewheels sturdy enough for low-geared,
high-torque mountain usage?

I'm looking to improve shifting without major expense here.

[*: The frame is 126mm spacing, but the rear hub is set up with a wide
space on the left for disk or drum brake. This has the added benefit of
making the wheels nearly dishless.]

Thanks,

Mark

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> I have run 7-speed freewheels on my mid-80s Bianchi commuter, and
> they're excellent. My father uses the same stuff on his commuter, though
> I am a little ashamed that he uses and enjoys a 28-34 low gear, thanks
> to a triple and the Mega-7 11-34. I'd better get him to do some hill
> repeats with me :).
>
> 39-34 should be enough for anyone,

According to Fabrizio Mazzoleni, only "Freds" have a large rear sprocket
with an even number of teeth. ;)

P.S. I have an 11-34 9-speed XT on my regular bike.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> > I have run 7-speed freewheels on my mid-80s Bianchi commuter, and
> > they're excellent. My father uses the same stuff on his commuter, though
> > I am a little ashamed that he uses and enjoys a 28-34 low gear, thanks
> > to a triple and the Mega-7 11-34. I'd better get him to do some hill
> > repeats with me :).
> >
> > 39-34 should be enough for anyone,

> According to Fabrizio Mazzoleni, only "Freds" have a large rear sprocket
> with an even number of teeth. ;)

He's probably right.

> P.S. I have an 11-34 9-speed XT on my regular bike.

My race bike has a 13-26 8v, and the commuter has...some
sprocket...12-34 8v?

not gear-fixated,