Re: Speed vs. need for helmet?

Peter Clinch

Guest
Tom Sherman wrote:
> [email protected] aka Frank Krygowski wrote:
>> But regarding helmets and recumbents: Since that one type of accident
>> is almost impossible for 'bents, why _do_ so many 'bent riders wear
>> helmets? What are they so afraid of?

> Juries. Due to the propagandizing of those with vested interests, the
> public believes that lidless cyclists are irresponsible

I think it's more the case that in Anglophone developed cycling
nations there is the perception that serious cyclists wear helmets
because they assume they're sensible (I used to, before I went to
the library...), and 'bent riders tend to be "serious" cyclists
(i.e., the sort who invest Real Money (TM) and adopt a "cycling
lifestyle".
I don't think they're particularly afraid, it's just "common sense,
just in case, it could save my life!", which /is/ a common
position/assumption of many, wedgie pilots as well as recumbent riders.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On Dec 2, 9:47 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
> > [email protected] aka Frank Krygowski wrote:
> >> But regarding helmets and recumbents: Since that one type of accident
> >> is almost impossible for 'bents, why _do_ so many 'bent riders wear
> >> helmets? What are they so afraid of?

> > Juries. Due to the propagandizing of those with vested interests, the
> > public believes that lidless cyclists are irresponsible

> I think it's more the case that in Anglophone developed cycling
> nations there is the perception that serious cyclists wear helmets

Here in the US, I think helmets have become part of "the uniform",
along with logo-festooned jerseys/shorts, swoopy eyewear, shiny
silvertone shoes and aggressive looking bikes.

> because they assume they're sensible

I wonder how many peole even think it through that far.