General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Sudden weight gain confusion

Started by Tom G · · Last activity · 11 posts · 241 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 March 2005
Last activity
30 March 2005
Original author
Tom G
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
241
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size

  1. Quoted message said:

    Yep, I could believe 5 lbs, but not 15.

    It sounds like the scale is way off. I don't know what would be a good
    purchase on a new one. They all seem cheaply built so as not to last more
    than a couple of years. I am reluctant myself to spend alot of money for a
    new one, and the beam type seems to big for our bathroom. Hehe. What to do.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    223/174.1/180

  2. "Tom G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:LuB2e.856327$6l.18126@pd7tw2no...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Yep, I could believe 5 lbs, but not 15.

    It sounds like the scale is way off. I don't know what would be a good
    purchase on a new one. They all seem cheaply built so as not to last more
    than a couple of years. I am reluctant myself to spend alot of money for a
    new one, and the beam type seems to big for our bathroom. Hehe. What to


    do.

    Quoted message said:

    I've owned a Tanita brand scale (with the body fat function) for the last 3
    or 4 years and it's been very reliable. It's accurate to within 0.2 lbs,
    and if I step off and step back on, I get the exact same reading nearly
    every time.

    This morning, for an experiment, I first weighed myself twice, getting the
    same reading both times. I then drank a large glass of water (approximately
    12 oz). When I stepped back on, my weight had gone up by 0.8 lbs.

    Here's a Tanita model with body fat functions that is similar to the one I
    use:

    http://tinyurl.com/49swe

    The Soehnle brand scales look pretty cool too. Supposedly they're accurate
    to 0.1 lbs, and I really like their high tech look (though they are somewhat
    more expensive).

    http://tinyurl.com/3t6kt

    --
    GG
    http://www.WeightWare.com
    Your Weight and Health Diary

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --
    223/174.1/180


  3. "Tom G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:LuB2e.856327$6l.18126@pd7tw2no...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Yep, I could believe 5 lbs, but not 15.

    It sounds like the scale is way off. I don't know what would be a good
    purchase on a new one. They all seem cheaply built so as not to last more
    than a couple of years. I am reluctant myself to spend alot of money for a
    new one, and the beam type seems to big for our bathroom. Hehe. What to


    do.

    Quoted message said:

    I've owned a Tanita brand scale (with the body fat function) for the last 3
    or 4 years and it's been very reliable. It's accurate to within 0.2 lbs,
    and if I step off and step back on, I get the exact same reading nearly
    every time.

    This morning, for an experiment, I first weighed myself twice, getting the
    same reading both times. I then drank a large glass of water (approximately
    12 oz). When I stepped back on, my weight had gone up by 0.8 lbs.

    Here's a Tanita model with body fat functions that is similar to the one I
    use:

    http://tinyurl.com/49swe

    The Soehnle brand scales look pretty cool too. Supposedly they're accurate
    to 0.1 lbs, and I really like their high tech look (though they are somewhat
    more expensive).

    http://tinyurl.com/3t6kt

    --
    GG
    http://www.WeightWare.com
    Your Weight and Health Diary

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --
    223/174.1/180


  4. GaryG said:

    "Tom G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:LuB2e.856327$6l.18126@pd7tw2no...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Yep, I could believe 5 lbs, but not 15.

    It sounds like the scale is way off. I don't know what would be a
    good
    purchase on a new one. They all seem cheaply built so as not to last
    more
    than a couple of years. I am reluctant myself to spend alot of money
    for a
    new one, and the beam type seems to big for our bathroom. Hehe. What to


    do.

    Quoted message said:

    I've owned a Tanita brand scale (with the body fat function) for the
    last 3
    or 4 years and it's been very reliable. It's accurate to within 0.2 lbs,
    and if I step off and step back on, I get the exact same reading nearly
    every time.

    0.2? Mine only reads in 0.5 increments. (Not that I care -- my weight
    can easily vary by 1-2 pounds per day.)

    Quoted message said:

    This morning, for an experiment, I first weighed myself twice, getting
    the
    same reading both times. I then drank a large glass of water
    (approximately
    12 oz). When I stepped back on, my weight had gone up by 0.8 lbs.

    Here's a Tanita model with body fat functions that is similar to the one
    I
    use:

    http://tinyurl.com/49swe

    The Soehnle brand scales look pretty cool too. Supposedly they're
    accurate
    to 0.1 lbs, and I really like their high tech look (though they are
    somewhat
    more expensive).

    http://tinyurl.com/3t6kt

    --
    Bob in CT

  5. GaryG said:

    "Tom G" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:LuB2e.856327$6l.18126@pd7tw2no...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Yep, I could believe 5 lbs, but not 15.

    It sounds like the scale is way off. I don't know what would be a
    good
    purchase on a new one. They all seem cheaply built so as not to last
    more
    than a couple of years. I am reluctant myself to spend alot of money
    for a
    new one, and the beam type seems to big for our bathroom. Hehe. What to


    do.

    Quoted message said:

    I've owned a Tanita brand scale (with the body fat function) for the
    last 3
    or 4 years and it's been very reliable. It's accurate to within 0.2 lbs,
    and if I step off and step back on, I get the exact same reading nearly
    every time.

    0.2? Mine only reads in 0.5 increments. (Not that I care -- my weight
    can easily vary by 1-2 pounds per day.)

    Quoted message said:

    This morning, for an experiment, I first weighed myself twice, getting
    the
    same reading both times. I then drank a large glass of water
    (approximately
    12 oz). When I stepped back on, my weight had gone up by 0.8 lbs.

    Here's a Tanita model with body fat functions that is similar to the one
    I
    use:

    http://tinyurl.com/49swe

    The Soehnle brand scales look pretty cool too. Supposedly they're
    accurate
    to 0.1 lbs, and I really like their high tech look (though they are
    somewhat
    more expensive).

    http://tinyurl.com/3t6kt

    --
    Bob in CT

  6. GaryG said:

    and if I step off and step back on, I get the exact same reading
    nearly every time.

    Note that many digital scales do that on purpose - they don't actually
    re-weigh you, they just report the old numbers. They look really
    reliable that way. Marketing :-P

    Try holding a 4oz cup of water when you get on the second time, and
    see if it shows you've gained 1/4 lb.

  7. GaryG said:

    and if I step off and step back on, I get the exact same reading
    nearly every time.

    Note that many digital scales do that on purpose - they don't actually
    re-weigh you, they just report the old numbers. They look really
    reliable that way. Marketing :-P

    Try holding a 4oz cup of water when you get on the second time, and
    see if it shows you've gained 1/4 lb.

  8. "Ignoramus19234" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    DJ Delorie said:


    GaryG said:

    and if I step off and step back on, I get the exact same reading
    nearly every time.

    Note that many digital scales do that on purpose - they don't actually
    re-weigh you, they just report the old numbers. They look really
    reliable that way. Marketing :-P

    that's what mine does. I have to change my weight by about 1.5 lbs, or
    more,to make my scale forget the old number.

    Time for a new scale, Ig. My 4 year old Tanita definitely does *not*
    exhibit that behavior.

    GG

    Quoted message said:


    i

    Quoted message said:

    Try holding a 4oz cup of water when you get on the second time, and
    see if it shows you've gained 1/4 lb.

    --
    223/174.1/180

  9. "Ignoramus19234" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    DJ Delorie said:


    GaryG said:

    and if I step off and step back on, I get the exact same reading
    nearly every time.

    Note that many digital scales do that on purpose - they don't actually
    re-weigh you, they just report the old numbers. They look really
    reliable that way. Marketing :-P

    that's what mine does. I have to change my weight by about 1.5 lbs, or
    more,to make my scale forget the old number.

    Time for a new scale, Ig. My 4 year old Tanita definitely does *not*
    exhibit that behavior.

    GG

    Quoted message said:


    i

    Quoted message said:

    Try holding a 4oz cup of water when you get on the second time, and
    see if it shows you've gained 1/4 lb.

    --
    223/174.1/180

  10. "Ignoramus19234" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    DJ Delorie said:


    GaryG said:

    and if I step off and step back on, I get the exact same reading
    nearly every time.

    Note that many digital scales do that on purpose - they don't actually
    re-weigh you, they just report the old numbers. They look really
    reliable that way. Marketing :-P

    that's what mine does. I have to change my weight by about 1.5 lbs, or
    more,to make my scale forget the old number.

    BTW - does your scale exhibit that same behavior when you "re-boot" it (my
    Tanita has a button for each user, and I click that button with my toe to
    let it know I want to weigh mysefl).

    GG

    Quoted message said:


    i

    Quoted message said:

    Try holding a 4oz cup of water when you get on the second time, and
    see if it shows you've gained 1/4 lb.

    --
    223/174.1/180

  11. "Ignoramus19234" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    DJ Delorie said:


    GaryG said:

    and if I step off and step back on, I get the exact same reading
    nearly every time.

    Note that many digital scales do that on purpose - they don't actually
    re-weigh you, they just report the old numbers. They look really
    reliable that way. Marketing :-P

    that's what mine does. I have to change my weight by about 1.5 lbs, or
    more,to make my scale forget the old number.

    BTW - does your scale exhibit that same behavior when you "re-boot" it (my
    Tanita has a button for each user, and I click that button with my toe to
    let it know I want to weigh mysefl).

    GG

    Quoted message said:


    i

    Quoted message said:

    Try holding a 4oz cup of water when you get on the second time, and
    see if it shows you've gained 1/4 lb.

    --
    223/174.1/180

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.