Re: "The prestige of winning"

Scott wrote:

> If my guess about the thread you're referencing is correct, I started
> it and I'll respond to your comments thusly: the Tour is bigger than
> the riders, and nothing short of the German occupation of France during
> the two world wars could prevent it from going on.

The reaction of the sponsors will determine the future. The Tour is
bigger than the riders, but even the Tour has its own dependencies and
weaknesses. Sully the reputation enough, and it completely loses its
sponsorship appeal to big brands.

Example: Sometimes a malicious 12 year old kid can shatter enough of
his neighbors' windows with a BB gun, to completely bankrupt his
parents.

Who knows. Perhaps Amgen can become the key sponsor.

[email protected] wrote:

> Who knows. Perhaps Amgen can become the key sponsor.

Yeah, we can joke about a tour sponsored by drug companies; but you
said it well at the start; this is big **** coming down...100% - local
news had no mention of the tour prior to this; now it's about the top 2
contenders being thrown out for doping...so what happened to the Mapei
team ? who are they sponsoring now ? NASCAR ?