Re: Tubeless Tire Conversion??

Bruce Edge

Guest
Bill Wheeler wrote:
> 1. Do tubeless tires really make a difference?

If you mean, does it help because you can run lower pressure? No, see below.

> 2. Is the "Stan's" system any good?

Front only, see below.

> 3. Has anybody used this system on WTB Speed Disc Rims?
> 4. How well do they really hold air.

OK if you like rock hard tires.

> 5. notubes.com recommends not using CO2....that sucks. (this is a
> comment and not a question)
>
> Although I've never flatted on my current tubed tires, I'm thinking
> about giving tubeless a try.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Every time I run tubeless on a non-DH rear tire, I end up burping the
sidewall when I land/hit something with any degree of lateral force.

You get this fart sound, the guy behind you get's covered in white
monkey spew, and you have to stop, hope to God the bead re-seats, or put
in a tube.

This has happened with half a dozen different non-DH rear tires, UST and
non-UST, 30-40 PSI.

So, no I run stans in front only, never had any issues there. Guess I
hit things harder with the rear.

-Bruce

> Every time I run tubeless on a non-DH rear tire, I end up burping the
> sidewall when I land/hit something with any degree of lateral force.
>
> You get this fart sound, the guy behind you get's covered in white
> monkey spew, and you have to stop, hope to God the bead re-seats, or put
> in a tube.
>
> This has happened with half a dozen different non-DH rear tires, UST and
> non-UST, 30-40 PSI.
>
> So, no I run stans in front only, never had any issues there. Guess I
> hit things harder with the rear.

Try the Ghetto BMX tube method. I've never burped using non-DH tires on the
rear. The tire seals again the BMX tube instead of the rim so the latex
literally glues the tire to the tube creating a tubular tire.

jack wrote:
>>Every time I run tubeless on a non-DH rear tire, I end up burping the
>>sidewall when I land/hit something with any degree of lateral force.
>>
>>You get this fart sound, the guy behind you get's covered in white
>>monkey spew, and you have to stop, hope to God the bead re-seats, or put
>>in a tube.
>>
>>This has happened with half a dozen different non-DH rear tires, UST and
>>non-UST, 30-40 PSI.
>>
>>So, no I run stans in front only, never had any issues there. Guess I
>>hit things harder with the rear.

> Try the Ghetto BMX tube method. I've never burped using non-DH tires on the
> rear. The tire seals again the BMX tube instead of the rim so the latex
> literally glues the tire to the tube creating a tubular tire.

OK, I'm interested, albeit a bit confused. What are you talking about
exactly?
Run stan's & a tube?

> > Try the Ghetto BMX tube method. I've never burped using non-DH tires on

the
> > rear. The tire seals again the BMX tube instead of the rim so the latex
> > literally glues the tire to the tube creating a tubular tire.
> >

> OK, I'm interested, albeit a bit confused. What are you talking about
> exactly?
> Run stan's & a tube?

See attached link. You use a BMX tube as your rim strip. You trim the
excess BMX tube after you mount the tire, put in sealant and pressurize so
that the BMX tube is between the rim and tire. The tire ends up adhering
to the bmx tube because the sealant acts like a glue. The tire nevers
touches the metal rim so less chances of burping.

http://www.nsmb.com/gear/tubeless_12_04.php

jack wrote:
>>>Try the Ghetto BMX tube method. I've never burped using non-DH tires on

> the
>
>>>rear. The tire seals again the BMX tube instead of the rim so the latex
>>>literally glues the tire to the tube creating a tubular tire.
>>>

>>OK, I'm interested, albeit a bit confused. What are you talking about
>>exactly?
>>Run stan's & a tube?

> See attached link. You use a BMX tube as your rim strip. You trim the
> excess BMX tube after you mount the tire, put in sealant and pressurize so
> that the BMX tube is between the rim and tire. The tire ends up adhering
> to the bmx tube because the sealant acts like a glue. The tire nevers
> touches the metal rim so less chances of burping.
>
> http://www.nsmb.com/gear/tubeless_12_04.php

Or just skip all of the hassle and drama with a
Stan's type setup and go with Yes Tubes (they're
cheaper than Stan's also)

http://www.yestubes.com

> > http://www.nsmb.com/gear/tubeless_12_04.php

> Or just skip all of the hassle and drama with a
> Stan's type setup and go with Yes Tubes (they're
> cheaper than Stan's also)
>
> http://www.yestubes.com

I agree for most people yestubes is better because it cheaper and less
drama.

For those who flat a yestube on every ride because of thorns the drama and
cost is worth it.

For those who run thru-axle systems the drama of changing tubes far exceeds
the drama of setting up a ghetto notube. Especially a rear thru-axle
system.

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 04:38:36 GMT, p e t e f a g e r l i n
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> the

>>>OK, I'm interested, albeit a bit confused. What are you talking about
>>>exactly?
>>>Run stan's & a tube?

>> See attached link. You use a BMX tube as your rim strip. You trim the
>> excess BMX tube after you mount the tire, put in sealant and pressurize so
>> that the BMX tube is between the rim and tire. The tire ends up adhering
>> to the bmx tube because the sealant acts like a glue. The tire nevers
>> touches the metal rim so less chances of burping.
>>
>> http://www.nsmb.com/gear/tubeless_12_04.php

>Or just skip all of the hassle and drama with a
>Stan's type setup and go with Yes Tubes (they're
>cheaper than Stan's also)
>
>http://www.yestubes.com

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D'oh!,
Bill

The First law, Inertia: Unless acted upon by an outside force,
a body at rest tends to stay at rest,
and a body in motion tends to stay in motion.
Sir Isaac Newton

jack wrote:
>>>Try the Ghetto BMX tube method. I've never burped using non-DH tires on

> the
>
>>>rear. The tire seals again the BMX tube instead of the rim so the latex
>>>literally glues the tire to the tube creating a tubular tire.
>>>

>>OK, I'm interested, albeit a bit confused. What are you talking about
>>exactly?
>>Run stan's & a tube?

> See attached link. You use a BMX tube as your rim strip. You trim the
> excess BMX tube after you mount the tire, put in sealant and pressurize so
> that the BMX tube is between the rim and tire. The tire ends up adhering
> to the bmx tube because the sealant acts like a glue. The tire nevers
> touches the metal rim so less chances of burping.
>
> http://www.nsmb.com/gear/tubeless_12_04.php

Ahh, Now I see. Looks cool, but tubeless rim, goo, and a tube ?? That's
a bit much.

Hmmm, maybe worth a shot though. It is nice having the extra squish of
low PSI.
BTW, how come I have so many dents in my rim :)

-Bruce

Sam O'Nella wrote:
>>Or just skip all of the hassle and drama with a
>>Stan's type setup and go with Yes Tubes (they're
>>cheaper than Stan's also)
>>
>>http://www.yestubes.com

> I hear they're pretty shitty.
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/images/9.16/tube1.jpg
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/images/9.16/tube2.jpg
>
> http://home.pacbell.net/psf0/images/9.16/tube3.jpg

Au contraire, that was a tire bead failure and the
tube (albeit a cheap Taiwanese imitation of a
yestube) remained intact.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>> the

>>>OK, I'm interested, albeit a bit confused. What are you talking about
>>>exactly?
>>>Run stan's & a tube?

>> See attached link. You use a BMX tube as your rim strip. You trim the
>> excess BMX tube after you mount the tire, put in sealant and pressurize so
>> that the BMX tube is between the rim and tire. The tire ends up adhering
>> to the bmx tube because the sealant acts like a glue. The tire nevers
>> touches the metal rim so less chances of burping.
>>
>> http://www.nsmb.com/gear/tubeless_12_04.php

>Or just skip all of the hassle and drama with a
>Stan's type setup and go with Yes Tubes (they're
>cheaper than Stan's also)
>
>http://www.yestubes.com

Great link. Thanks, I already have a set and they work great for me.

Ron