Ready to ride a 29er

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by cathwood, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    Tags:

  2. mucRider

    mucRider Guest

    cathwood wrote:
    > *How good do you think I would have to be to be able to ride/controll
    > a 29er?
    > Cathy *

    How good are you? :rolleyes:

    If you can ride a 20 or 24 comfortably, you should be able to ride a
    29". I can ride my 29" but not comfortably (yet).

    --
    mucRider - From the Over 50 Group

    It is wise to invest in your happiness. - Harper
    mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119

  3. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    I guess I can ride comfortably for about 3 miles with just a couple of
    UPDs.
    I can ride down 9cm curbs but so far I've wimped out in jumping up the
    curbs. Could probably do it though. Can hop and idle a little bit. Since
    I have to get off when I'm riding to deal with going down higher curbs
    and going up curbs, I don't really feel that I can ride that well.
    Cathy

    --
    cathwood - Lunicyclist

    A thought is just a thought.

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  4. keg

    keg Guest

  5. Klaas Bil

    Klaas Bil Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:28:49 -0500, "cathwood" wrote:

    >How good do you think I would have to be to be able to ride/controll a
    >29er?

    Cathy you're good enough. If you are (afraid of) having not enough
    control, start out with 150 mm cranks - they make for a really easy
    transition.

    Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
    --
    "As with all great social movements, the origins of mountain unicycling are unclear. - Hannah Nordhaus (Los Angeles Times)"

  6. Hi Cathy,

    I own a 20 and 24". I had my first, brief go an a 29er at BUC (thanks
    s7evo!). It was a bit scary to begin especially as I was going down hill
    with short cranks, but I stayed on. I couldn't mount it though - it was
    a find a wall/lamp post job - you'll have to learn one of those rolling
    start mount thingys (I've no idea what its called but it look very
    impressive when 36" riders do it).

    Steven

    --
    stevenbrandist - Just trying to get better
    stevenbrandist's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9476

  7. weeble

    weeble Guest

    I had a little trouble with my 28" when I first got it. It had a skinny
    tire that seemed to pull to one side all the time, I was very shaky on
    mounting, and it was a difficult ride. Things improved after I put a
    fatter tire on it (making it a 29") and swapped the cranks with those
    from my 24" (the smaller uni actually had longer cranks on it). I have
    since sold off most of my other unis and have been riding the 29" almost
    exclusively for the last year or so. It's my favorite size now; I can
    mount, turn, idle and generally control it just the same as any other
    size wheel. My feeling is that if you are a solid rider on a 24" wheel,
    then after a bit of practice and adjustment you should be able to handle
    the 29". Of course that's only what my experience was; yours may vary.

    The move from a 24" to a 29" is a smaller jump in difficulty than going
    from a 29" to a 36" is, in my opinion. The 36" is a different sort of
    experience.

    --
    weeble - .

    ======================
    To avoid danger of suffocation
    keep away from babies
    and small children
    ======================

    weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

  8. s7ev0

    s7ev0 Guest

    Most everyone's right, I think, Cathy!

    Steven is right, the first goes on a 29" are a little scary - but wasn't
    it the same when learning to ride in the first place?

    I can nail the step-up/rolling mount that Steven mentions about 1 in 3
    times now, and can turn in the road pretty confidently, but I'm still
    slightly uncomfortable controlling its speed on a downhill section
    (uphill is not a great problem).

    The bottom line is - you know you'll get one, and you know you'll master
    it eventually!

    --
    s7ev0 - Here comes the summer!

    We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
    were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
    to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
    s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

  9. Klaas Bil wrote:
    > *
    > Cathy you're good enough. If you are (afraid of) having not enough
    > control, start out with 150 mm cranks - they make for a really easy
    > transition.
    > *

    strongly backing this advice!
    not being a very good rider, I could not get along with 125 mm cranks, I
    feel comfortable only with 150. (same for Coker: 170 only).
    If I want to progress which is the magic trick to learn to ride with
    shorter cranks?

    --
    wobbling bear - GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

    One Wheel : bear necessity
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  10. markf

    markf Guest

    the magic trick is to practice! but seriously, it is. once you're
    confident with longer cranks, buy some shorter ones and get used to
    those. they'll be differnet. less control but more speed and in some
    cases easier on the knees.

    --
    markf - movie nerd

    stuck in iowa and unemployed.
    markf's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8102

  11. joemarshall

    joemarshall Guest

    cathwood wrote:
    > *I guess I can ride comfortably for about 3 miles with just a couple
    > of UPDs.
    > I can ride down 9cm curbs but so far I've wimped out in jumping up the
    > curbs. Could probably do it though. Can hop and idle a little bit.
    > Since I have to get off when I'm riding to deal with going down higher
    > curbs and going up curbs, I don't really feel that I can ride that
    > well.
    > Cathy *

    If you're measuring your rides in miles rather than feet, you're ready
    to ride a bigger wheel. It'll be harder to start with, but you'll get
    used to it and soon you'll find riding miles on a small wheel is a
    pain.

    Joe

    --
    joemarshall - dumb blonde

    my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album483

  12. markf wrote:
    > *the magic trick is to practice! but seriously, it is. once you're
    > confident with longer cranks, buy some shorter ones and get used to
    > those. they'll be differnet. less control but more speed and in some
    > cases easier on the knees. *

    problems I have:

    - start the wheel: longer cranks give more torque and every time I use
    shorter cranks I have problems to start rolling (even on a light
    29er!)

    - forward UPDs: when gathering momentum and going at a fast pace I may
    suddenly fall forward very quickly with shorter cranks. The crashes are
    so abrupt that I have no time to roll aikido-like.

    - bumpy trails: those I can't manage with shorter cranks (and it's my
    usual playground)

    so my training program : use shorter cranks on gentle smooth cycle paths
    and try to get used to those at a not-so-brisk pace.

    --
    wobbling bear - GranPa goes-a-wobblin'

    One Wheel : bear necessity
    wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

  13. cathwood

    cathwood Guest

    thanks everyone.
    I'm really excited now, wanted to go out and buy one straight away. But
    hubby's complaining that I'm cluttering up the house with uni's so I'm
    going to have to sell my Nimbus II 24" first.
    Actually i had already decided to go for the longer cranks, also I want
    as fat a tire as possible first.
    > The bottom line is - you know you'll get one, and you know you'll
    > master it eventually!

    Thanks s7ev0.
    Cathy
    :cool:

    --
    cathwood - Lunicyclist

    A thought is just a thought.

    http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

  14. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    a 28/29 is an easy size to ride. Less frantic than a 20, less
    intimidating than a Coker.

    I bought my 28 with 110 mm cranks and had no problem idling it the first
    time I mounted (on a perfectly smooth gym floor).

    A 28/29 with 125 mm cranks is an easy ride.

    Due to other commitments I'm hardly riding at all at the moment. I've
    even been thinking of rationalizing the fleet. The 28 and 20 would be
    the last to go.

    The trick to learning to use short cranks: practise, but leave a margin
    for error. Things happen more quickly, so do things more slowly.

    --
    Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

    Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

  15. "Things happen more quickly, so do things more slowly." --Mikefule

    Well said, Mike! Well said! --Carl (North Dakota)

  16. al_lieffring

    al_lieffring Guest

    Is a 28" rim the same as a 700mm??
    or do these use different tires?
    I have a 29"yuni frame with a m700 rim and I didn't like the feel when
    I rode it off road, so I swithced to a narrow street tire and went from
    170 to 110 cranks. Now it's is great for 3-5 mile rides set up this way.
    and not as akward as a coker. The rotating mass of this rim and tire is
    so light it will idle easily even with cracks this short.

    --
    al_lieffring - World famous mediocre unicyclist

    sola rota Ya'll
    Al Lieffring :O)
    'Al's Unicycling Club'

    al_lieffring's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2053

  17. al_lieffring wrote:
    > *Is a 28" rim the same as a 700mm??
    > or do these use different tires?
    > I have a 29"yuni frame with a m700 rim and I didn't like the feel
    > when I rode it off road, so I swithced to a narrow street tire and
    > went from 170 to 110 cranks. *

    Yes, the 28 and 29 use 700c rims. The main difference is the size of the
    tire. I just switched cranks on my 700c uni from 150's to 125's and I
    like the feel of the shorter cranks alot better. I only got to ride it
    around the block, so more saddle time will be needed.
    If that short ride was any indication, I may sell my Coker soon:)

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  18. podzol

    podzol Guest

    Hi Cathy,

    I was a level 2 when I went from a 20" to a coker, with little
    problems. Free mounting took a good day of practice, but I regularly
    ride 10 miles and free mount with little difficulty with both feet. I've
    had it for about 2 months now. the biggest challenge for me was the
    greater inertia of a big wheel, which I imagine you will feel in a 29"
    as well. Insofar as wheel width, not so certain that will matter to you
    if you're up and riding confidently as you seem to be! A wider tire
    means more inertia and also harder to make the tiny corrections upon
    start up. I could be wrong. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am.

    I'd say have confidence in yourself and get what you finally envision
    youself riding. There are a lot of pros about having the smaller wheels
    like the 29 as mentioned above inthe thread.

    Keep up the great work! Surely you could handle a 29.

    Oh, what is a UPD? sorry for ignorance...

    Blake

    --
    podzol - AKA Dr. BoBo
    podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

  19. podzol wrote:
    > *
    > Oh, what is a UPD? sorry for ignorance...
    > Blake *

    UPD = UnPlanned Dismount :)

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

  20. podzol

    podzol Guest

    oooh.... thanks!

    I did an UPD yesterday and have a splint the size of a loaf of bread on
    my forearm and wrist. :( Nothing broken.

    I was so excited to try my new uni ( Nimbus 2 20") I forgot my wrist
    guards...

    Lesson learned!
    Blake