rear axle size

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Vincent Chiao, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. hi, i just installed a 8/9 speed freehub on my rearwheel which had a 6/7 speed freehub on it before.
    i followed sheldon's advice on his page on shimano cassettes, but have 2 questions. with the new,
    longer freehub, i only have about 3mm of axle sticking out of each end for the frame to sit on. i
    know sheldon says this is no problem, but the guys at the workshop i was working were skeptical.
    anybody have any experience with this? (axle length = 137mm, frame width, inside to inside = 130mm,
    thus roughly 3.5 mm on either side to actually seat the frame.) secondly, i tried to dish the wheel
    to recenter it, but it seemed to need 5mm or more pull to the cassette side, and the spokes there
    are already tight and run almost straight from the hub to the rim. is it better to have the wheel
    completely centered and have a very lopsided looking wheel, or to have the tire a bit off and have a
    more even wheel? thanks for any advice--
    v.

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:11:09 +0200, "vincent chiao" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >secondly, i tried to dish the wheel to recenter it, but it seemed to need 5mm or more pull to the
    >cassette side, and the spokes there are already tight and run almost straight from the hub to the
    >rim. is it better to have the wheel completely centered and have a very lopsided looking wheel, or
    >to have the tire a bit off and have a more even wheel? thanks for any advice--

    If the right side is already as tight as it will go, start by backing off the left a bit. Check (by
    fliiping the wheel over left/right wise, without a cassette on) whether the wheel really needs that
    much redishing first, or maybe it's just your frame that's crooked. The rim needs to be directly
    between the axle locknuts, and then the bike needs to make sure that the rim ends up in the middle
    of the bike.

    Jasper

  3. On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:11:09 +0200, vincent chiao wrote:

    > hi, i just installed a 8/9 speed freehub on my rearwheel which had a 6/7 speed freehub on it
    > before. i followed sheldon's advice on his page on shimano cassettes, but have 2 questions. with
    > the new, longer freehub, i only have about 3mm of axle sticking out of each end for the frame to
    > sit on. i know sheldon says this is no problem, but the guys at the workshop i was working were
    > skeptical.

    That is fine the way it is.

    > secondly, i tried to dish the wheel to recenter it, but it seemed to need 5mm or more pull to the
    > cassette side,

    yep

    > and the spokes there are already tight and run almost straight from the hub to the rim. is it
    > better to have the wheel completely centered

    Yes, the wheel needs to be centered for the bike to handle well. All of us have wheels with that
    extreme a dish nowadays, and they do hold together -- if they are tight enough.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. _`\(,_ | That is easy. All
    you have to do is tell them they are being (_)/ (_) | attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for
    lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any <country. --
    Hermann Goering