rec.bicycles.tech - FAQ?

On Mar 5, 4:21 pm, [email protected] wrote:

<snipped>

- on Wikipedia -

> They did not hesitate to attack and belittle
> with condescending comments ("Jobst, if you only understood...).
> They are true believers and don't want to have other ideas presented.

OY! Someone *please* send Mr. Brandt some Self-Awareness pills!!!

Ozark Bicycle writes:

> <snipped>

> - on Wikipedia -

>> This is bashing because they use every trick in the rule book to
>> intimidate writers. Rules that don't apply and rules they break
>> themselves often.

> Apparently, there are no mirrors to be found at Chez Brandt! ;-)

Would you please bring out your mirror and show what it is that you
think is not apparent from this point? I wasn't aware that you had
been injured in a technical exchange.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] wrote:
> I think you exaggerate with "so many" there are two in the Ducati
> defense and one in the brake fade.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_cycle_engine_valves#Why_use_desmodromic_drive
> Both of these articles put forth unsourced claims, desmodromic, that
> valves can be opened and closed faster, which is untrue, and loss of
> brakes is caused by gas bearing from out-gassing hot brake shoes.
> These are both central topics of belief that don't allow questioning.
> The purveyors of these themes do not have valid sources for their
> articles.

Which is why so many people don't bother to click to it even though
they've finagled "top listing" in search results.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> Apparently, there are no mirrors to be found at Chez Brandt! ;-)

I read the Wiki exchange and didn't draw that conclusion.

While both parties spoke past each other, Wiki's generally less accurate
and Brandt generally more accurate. Too bad that could not have been
resolved. It could have been to Wiki's benefit.

As it stands, Wiki once again has a less than accurate entry.
--

On Mar 5, 7:04 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > Apparently, there are no mirrors to be found at Chez Brandt! ;-)

> I read the Wiki exchange and didn't draw that conclusion.
>
> While both parties spoke past each other, Wiki's generally less accurate
> and Brandt generally more accurate. Too bad that could not have been
> resolved. It could have been to Wiki's benefit.

Most people didn't draw that conclusion as well. Maybe that's why
Ozark gives himself 2 excellent feedbacks per every one of his posts'
with 2 of his other id's to look mainstream.

Reading a mechanical engineer's, Brandt, work is always more than here-
say, and offers interesting perspective even if you don't agree with
him. Sheldon doesn't just allow random writers on his site.

On 5 Mar 2007 16:25:18 -0800, "ddog" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mar 5, 7:04 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>> > Apparently, there are no mirrors to be found at Chez Brandt! ;-)

>> I read the Wiki exchange and didn't draw that conclusion.
>>
>> While both parties spoke past each other, Wiki's generally less accurate
>> and Brandt generally more accurate. Too bad that could not have been
>> resolved. It could have been to Wiki's benefit.

>Most people didn't draw that conclusion as well. Maybe that's why
>Ozark gives himself 2 excellent feedbacks per every one of his posts'
>with 2 of his other id's to look mainstream.

[snip]

Dear D,

I'm intrigued.

I know that Google Groups has a star-rating feature, but how do you
get it to show which user gave a post what rating?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Mar 5, 8:18 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Dear D,
>
> I'm intrigued.
>
> I know that Google Groups has a star-rating feature, but how do you
> get it to show which user gave a post what rating?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

With statistics, you can tell the past, present, and future.

On 5 Mar 2007 17:29:50 -0800, "ddog" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mar 5, 8:18 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> Dear D,
>>
>> I'm intrigued.
>>
>> I know that Google Groups has a star-rating feature, but how do you
>> get it to show which user gave a post what rating?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel

>With statistics, you can tell the past, present, and future.

Dear D,

Hmmm . . .

I take it that you don't actually have any way to tell who assigns
what star ratings to a particular Google post.

So I'm safe to keep secretly rating my own posts as long as I veer
wildly from one to five stars and only do it occasionally:

http://groups.google.com/groups/pro...AAlJSplIBlJGj2ISiKndyyx_IeqdT84RXyMhuizDAk-CQ

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

On Mar 5, 6:04 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mar 5, 2:56 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> > <snipped>
> > - on Wikipedia -
> >> This is bashing because they use every trick in the rule book to
> >> intimidate writers. Rules that don't apply and rules they break
> >> themselves often.

> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
> > Apparently, there are no mirrors to be found at Chez Brandt! ;-)

> I read the Wiki exchange and didn't draw that conclusion.

I wasn't addressing the "Wiki exchange" specifically, Andrew. I was
commenting on the utter irony (popular usage here) of Jobst Brandt
whining about "bashing" and intimidation. Those are, after all, two of
his favorite tactics.

> While both parties spoke past each other, Wiki's generally less accurate
> and Brandt generally more accurate. Too bad that could not have been
> resolved. It could have been to Wiki's benefit.
>
> As it stands, Wiki once again has a less than accurate entry.
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

In article
<[email protected]>,
"Cychlo-path" <[email protected]> wrote:
> What's your beef Brandt? You elect officials to run all aspects of your
> country in supposedly free elections when in actual fact they're, largely,
> still born in to the position, do you suppose these numpties actually know
> anything about the areas in which they work? What about managers generally?
> They manage people not the work. I'm happy to help or step aside, it was
> just an idea, i don't own it.
>
> You clearly have a low opinion of everyone else and a massively inflated
> opinion of yourself. Stick it all your ****.

So far your project to enlist help enlarging the FAQ is going quite well.

--
Michael Press

In article
<[email protected]>,
Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > On Mar 4, 1:07 pm, Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > In article <[email protected]>,

> > [snip]
> >
> > > The main benefit is that cheaper bikes are better than they used to
> > > be, until you get to the bottom end stuff that you can buy at
> > > Target and Wal*Mart.

> > [snip]
> >
> > Dear Tim,
> >
> > On a dare in 2004, I bought a Fury Roadmaster from WalMart for under
> > $60 and rode it for 1200 miles:
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/ccc0c851499eebed

> I recall the adventure.
>
> > The only failure was a flat rear tire, which wasn't bad for a bicycle
> > sold for teenagers to ride around instead of 195-lb test riders
> > trying to do 20 mph over eight speed humps in the park.
> >
> > Three years later, the bike sells for just under $50:
> >
> > http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1977659
> >
> > Here's an inflation calculator:
> >
> > http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl
> >
> > Today's $50 was worth $9.58 in 1970.

> There's an interesting perspective from a number of perspectives and not
> just the absurdly low prices of cheap bikes.
>
> In 1970, $50 to $100 was pretty much the per-person pay scale for bands
> playing in bars. In 2007, the per-person pay scale is about $50 to
> $100... or compared to the $1.50 per hour I was paid at my first job in
> 1973, which is $6.84 per hour now. Minimum wage was $1.60 in 1973, so I
> guess my Dad was breaking the law in paying me $0.10 less- but still it
> was effectively more than the minimum wage now!
>
> Some right wingers **** and moan about the minimum wage, not recognizing
> the screaming deal they are getting. The current minimum wage is a bit
> above half of what it was in 1968, when corrected for inflation!

You cannot get rich by spending money.

--
Michael Press

In article
<1%[email protected]
t>,
"Callistus Valerius" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > funnier still! jobst hasn't modified his mistakes on fatigue,
> > anodizing, brinelling, deformation, strength of materials, lubrication,
> > bearing seals, [continue long list here], but you make that kind of
> > statement? i don't know which is more ridiculous - his dogma or your
> > defense.

> ----------
> Let me turn this around, is there anything that jobst has been correct
> about?

Daisy, Daisy, give me yoouuurrrrrrrrrrrr ....

--
Michael Press

A Muzi wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 2:56 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> <snipped>
>> - on Wikipedia -
>>> This is bashing because they use every trick in the rule book to
>>> intimidate writers. Rules that don't apply and rules they break
>>> themselves often.

> Ozark Bicycle wrote:
>> Apparently, there are no mirrors to be found at Chez Brandt! ;-)

> I read the Wiki exchange and didn't draw that conclusion.
>
> While both parties spoke past each other, Wiki's generally less accurate
> and Brandt generally more accurate.

that's not true. what brandt /really/ does is write in an authoritative
style that apparently is convincing to those that know no better. he
throws in little commonly known nuggets of fact to convince the
uninitated, but once that orifice is greased, he's in like flynn with
the technical ********, albeit spelled correctly and avoiding any nasty
long words.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Tim McNamara wrote: <snip ****>
>>> You're easily confused today, jim. You might want to check into
>>> why that is. You're extolling the responsibility and accuracy of
>>> Sheldon, and yet here he is, voluntarily hosting and lending his
>>> imprimatur to Jobst's FAQ- who you covertly accuse of being a fraud
>>> practically every time you touch a keyboard to post to r.b.t. The
>>> cognitive dissonance is striking.

>> while i'm sure he can speak for himself on this issue, sheldon is not
>> claiming authorship, he's simply hosting.

> Hence my use of the word "hosting," jim.
>
>> "why" may be the point to question, but he's prepared to accept
>> things on face value from what i can see.
>>
>> /my/ point is that sheldon updates, jobst doesn't. sheldon doesn't
>> tell us more than he knows, jobst does. but you won't discuss that
>> distinction because it's not part of the fight, is it.

> Sheldon is fairly circumspect in his posts, I agree. Jobst is- like
> you- willing to go out on a limb and extrapolate from his base of
> knowledge and experience. The striking thing is that you regularly do
> everything you accuse Jobst of, yet you are so convinced of your
> rightness that you can't see it.

i don't say stuff i don't know - that's jobst's department. but you'd
know that if you knew enough to know.

> I have seen Jobst back down a number
> of times when someone proves one of his contentions wrong with good math
> or empirical data.

so why won't he correct his position on anodizing, fatigue, deformation,
brinelling, etc.?

> You, not so much. You insist they don't understand
> you rather than coming to your own understanding that your arguments
> often fail to prove or compel. Instead of improving the quality of your
> argument, your logic and writing deteriorates as you get manifestly
> frustrated and angry.

i get frustrated with fools. and that's my own damn-fool fault. but
/you/, who repeatedly can't or won't understand basic engineering math
and principles, absolutely cannot claim that i "fail to prove or compel"
since you clearly don't have sufficient knowledge. but if fail to
convince pigs to sing, that doesn't mean /i/ don't know the notes and
/you/ sure as hell can't claim the contrary.

> I guess the difference comes down to Jobst seeming to be mostly
> dedicated to advancing the common understanding of bikes, and you
> seeming to be mostly dedicated to bringing down Jobst a peg or two. The
> former is helpful to me, the latter is not. It's too bad, really. If
> you are, as you claim, trained in materials science then you could bring
> a lot to the discussion.

i can't bring anything to a discussion with you if it's over your head.
see above for the stupidity of arguing with fools.

> I've appreciated some of the rational posts
> you've made on the subject.

i wonder why that sounds so insincere? perhaps because you don't know
enough to differentiate?

> But you'd have to pack away the obvious
> animus you feel towards Jobst to make it so.

believe it or not, i really don't give a rat's ass about jobst
personally - i'll call out "extrapolation" whoever perpetrates it. ask
krygowski. what i care about is the deliberate corruption of common
learning for the sake of personal ego. why do people, as you put it,
"extrapolate" on facts so easily independently checked? it's beyond
bizarre.

jim beam wrote:
> Tim McNamara wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Tim McNamara wrote: <snip ****>
>>> while i'm sure he can speak for himself on this issue, sheldon is not
>>> claiming authorship, he's simply hosting.

>> Hence my use of the word "hosting," jim.
>>
>>> "why" may be the point to question, but he's prepared to accept
>>> things on face value from what i can see.
>>>
>>> /my/ point is that sheldon updates, jobst doesn't. sheldon doesn't
>>> tell us more than he knows, jobst does. but you won't discuss that
>>> distinction because it's not part of the fight, is it.

>> Sheldon is fairly circumspect in his posts, I agree. Jobst is- like
>> you- willing to go out on a limb and extrapolate from his base of
>> knowledge and experience. The striking thing is that you regularly do
>> everything you accuse Jobst of, yet you are so convinced of your
>> rightness that you can't see it.

> i don't say stuff i don't know - that's jobst's department. but you'd
> know that if you knew enough to know.

So can we mount disc brake calipers on the front of the fork or not?

Greg

Callistus Valerius wrote:
>> funnier still! jobst hasn't modified his mistakes on fatigue,
>> anodizing, brinelling, deformation, strength of materials, lubrication,
>> bearing seals, [continue long list here], but you make that kind of
>> statement? i don't know which is more ridiculous - his dogma or your
>> defense.

> ----------
> Let me turn this around, is there anything that jobst has been correct
> about?

scary question! he got the spoke length math correct in his book, but i
think that formula predated him. he describes how to lace a wheel
correctly, but that predates him too. i'll have to think about that one
further.

G.T. wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> Tim McNamara wrote:

>>> Hence my use of the word "hosting," jim.

>>> Sheldon is fairly circumspect in his posts, I agree. Jobst is- like
>>> you- willing to go out on a limb and extrapolate from his base of
>>> knowledge and experience. The striking thing is that you regularly
>>> do everything you accuse Jobst of, yet you are so convinced of your
>>> rightness that you can't see it.

>> i don't say stuff i don't know - that's jobst's department. but you'd
>> know that if you knew enough to know.
>>

> So can we mount disc brake calipers on the front of the fork or not?
>
> Greg

if you want to to design to the material, not.

On Mar 6, 1:08 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
> >
> > So can we mount disc brake calipers on the front of the fork or not?

> > Greg

> if you want to to design to the material, not.

jim, it looks like Greg wasn't asking about your personal, nebulous,
artificial design standards! He was asking if it can be done.

Let's make it more general: Can cast aluminum parts be designed to
withstand tensile fatigue? You know - the way they routinely
are? ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
> On Mar 6, 1:08 am, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> G.T. wrote:
>>> So can we mount disc brake calipers on the front of the fork or not?
>>> Greg

>> if you want to to design to the material, not.

> jim, it looks like Greg wasn't asking about your personal, nebulous,
> artificial design standards! He was asking if it can be done.
>
> Let's make it more general: Can cast aluminum parts be designed to
> withstand tensile fatigue? You know - the way they routinely
> are? ;-)
>
> - Frank Krygowski

you can have a bike made of corn muffins if you really want to, but i
wouldn't ride it. i don't like riding tension fatigued castings either.
idiot.

[email protected] wrote in news:45eadcba$0$14085
[email protected]:

> Don't fool yourself, technology in bicycling does not move but with
> glacial speed. You haven't missed a thing.

Well, I thought index shifting was a big improvement over crappy friction
shifting. How about clipless pedals? The mountain bike? Mountain bike
suspension? Bicycle computers? Lighting systems? I guess by your
definition, you can say the same thing about automobiles.

--
Mike DeMicco <[email protected]>