Recent notable bike sightings.

Hiya:
Recent notable bike sightings include:

1. Bike boom era lugged steel KHS converted to single speed. Only
spotted this because of the downturned ("upside down") Northroad type
handlebars. Wheels probably original (Al rims, rusty spokes, tires
yellowed gumwalls). Most individuual feature, aside from the
handlebars: The careful way the owner/operator had scraped away a
chainstay sticker that had probably originally said "12 Speed" to say
"1 Speed."

2. Veteran cycle award, Court of Honor: Ralieigh step-through 3 speed
"Ranger." Nice English tourer being used for around the neighborhood
transportation.

3. Veteran cycle award, Gold Medal: A very clean-looking orange Schwinn
World Voyager road bike, chromed lugs on head tube, with the fattest
27x1 1/4 tires I've seen. Did Vittoria make a randonneur/cyclocross
tire in that size? If so, these were they.

4. Veteran cycle award, Refurbished: Schwinn Varsity with downtube
shifters, Al cotterless crank, clipless pedals. On the other hand, I
didn't check it out closely enough to tell if it was actually one of
the fillet-brazed Superbe frames done up with Varsity decals as
someone's "Q Bike."

5. Retro Roadster: Kronan roadster, in grey.

6. "Out of the Corner of My Eye" -- whilest commuting to work (by bus)
saw a long-limbed rider in long-sleeved lycra on a tall Surly frame,
skinny tires, silvery fenders, odd (neither drop nor flat) handlebar
moving the other direction at a high cadence. Triathlete on his steel
training-ride cycle? Commuter with the luxury of a locker room/shower
at work? The guy who always skips the exercycles at the nearby 24-hour
Fitness gym? George Lucas' film crew doing the hidden camera
"background shot" thing for "Riders of the Lost Brevet?"

Robert Leone [email protected]

[email protected] wrote:
> Hiya:
> Recent notable bike sightings include:

<snip>

Some of you may remember a month or two ago when I saw the Mongoose
with a toilet plunger handle for a seat post. Last week, just about a
block from the same place, I caught a glimpse of another strange bike.
This one was going the opposite direction, on the sidewalk, so I didn't
get much of a look at it. But here is what I saw: recumbent bike,
home-welded angle iron in part of the frame. And as it headed off away
from me, I turned around for a moment and saw the back of its seat.
It was wood. What's with wooden bikes in that neighborhood?

Bill, who thinks overquoting is almost as bad as top-posting.

__o | I used to think that I was cool, running around on fossil fuel
_`\(,_ | Until I saw what I was doing was driving down the road to ruin.
(_)/ (_) | - James Taylor

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:42:44 +0000 (UTC), [email protected]
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> Hiya:
>> Recent notable bike sightings include:

> <snip>
>
> Some of you may remember a month or two ago when I saw the Mongoose
>with a toilet plunger handle for a seat post. Last week, just about a
>block from the same place, I caught a glimpse of another strange bike.
>This one was going the opposite direction, on the sidewalk, so I didn't
>get much of a look at it. But here is what I saw: recumbent bike,
>home-welded angle iron in part of the frame. And as it headed off away
>from me, I turned around for a moment and saw the back of its seat.
> It was wood. What's with wooden bikes in that neighborhood?
>

>Bill, who thinks overquoting is almost as bad as top-posting.

Someone just posted this URL over in ARBR for a 'two by four'
recumbent':

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~talizmar/xntrick/2x4.htm

Indiana Mike