Reckless, Aggressive Drivers: Homegrown Terrorists

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 01:35:57 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> donquijote1954 <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I've vowed to fight terrorism... ROAD TERRORISM.

>That's a laudable quest, but how exactly
>are you going to go about it? What means
>and methods have you toward that end?
>What is your strategy?

His primary MO is posting annoying garbage to USENET.
--
Please don't give financial rewards to trolls -
DO NOT CLICK on any URLs containing "calrog.com"

On Feb 21, 9:40 am, Scott in SoCal <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 01:35:57 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Keats)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <[email protected]>,
> >    donquijote1954 <[email protected]> writes:

> >> I've vowed to fight terrorism... ROAD TERRORISM.

> >That's a laudable quest, but how exactly
> >are you going to go about it?  What means
> >and methods have you toward that end?
> >What is your strategy?

> His primary MO is posting annoying garbage to USENET.
> --

Sure, road safety is garbage only if you drive a supersized SUV. Why
don't you try riding a bike in traffic and then report back?

(This is dedicated to those who, like the present administration, are
working so hard to make a glorious and safe future possible)

Someone with a lot of faith says...

> You are assuming that speed is the main cause of road deaths which is
> extremely unlikely. So you don't have any approach to reduce road deaths.
>
> What is being developed and will be on the market in five or so years is car
> to car digital communications. The communications between cars will be
> used to prevent accidents and deaths.
>
> Like commercial aircraft, the drivers will be warned to take evasive action
> an what action should be taken. In extreme cases the electronics in the
> cars will automatically take actions to control the cars to prevent the
> accidents.
>
> Instead of "Its like they don't care..." we have exactly the opposite where
> people care a lot and are putting a lot of money into developing solutions
> industry wide to make driving potentially very safe.
>
> In your ignorance of present activities, you have done nothing while the
> world has many people actually solving the problems.

Well, you ain't seen nothing yet. In the future people will travel
through the telephone lines!!! Imagine all the space left open on our
congested roads. And, of course, then bicycles and scooters will not
only be safe, they'll also be redundant.

Did you see "The Matrix," how the lady disappears right on time to
escape the bad guys through the telephone lines? And all that
technology is being developed at this very minute by a Republican
Administration that knows the future is up in the air. ;)

On Feb 21, 7:37 am, Bolwerk <[email protected]> wrote:
> Martin Edwards wrote:
> > Tom Sherman wrote:

> >> All that is needed is adding microphones and cameras to the
> >> transponders - then the government can achieve the long awaited goal
> >> of regulating behavior of people in their homes behind closed doors.

> > Scheiss, imagine Jack's tv shouting out, "Mr May, stop that or you will
> > go blind!"

> That would only happen during a GM commercial. WTF is this thread doing
> in a transit group anyway? Jack's a troll.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, but we are trying to develop alternatives (bikes, public
transportation) for the moment when 70% of drivers are banned from the
road...

Driving tests and real-life driving

(...)

Politically, it is unpopular to suggest somebody who is physically
impaired, who is emotionally unbalanced, or who is just plain stupid
should not drive. But the fact is; bad driving causes lethal accidents
and huge traffic jams every day, all across America. Bad driving
wastes millions of gallons of fuel and adds tons of pollutants to our
air.

America's urban freeways are no place for the incompetent, and it is
thousands of times less expensive and more effective to get lousy
drivers off the road than it is to build ever-wider freeways and more
elaborate junctions. A more difficult driving test will accomplish
this. Driving tests can also reinforce common sense, patience, and
respect for others... things which are increasingly rare on American
roads.

Current driving tests measure rudimentary knowledge of the rules of
the road. At some point in a driver's life-usually very early- you
must prove your ability to operate a vehicle under minimally difficult
circumstances. Once licensed, many Americans are not road tested again
for dozens of years. Adding cellular phones, babies, fast food,
gigantic Sport Utility Vehicles, and other distractions on top of a
general increase in traffic and average speeds-only brews more
gridlock and carnage.

(...)

America must not shrink from hard decisions about where, when and who
is fit to drive. We must get the incompetent, the angry, the
thoughtless and the decrepit off the road. At the same time, we must
provide the opportunity to learn driving skills for people who need to
drive and are able to do it well, regardless of income level.

Giving people options
Increased transportation options for people who cannot drive must
coincide with efforts to weed out lousy drivers. Forcing people out of
their cars, with no way to get to work, breeds outlaws and
joblessness. Some ways include:

electric scooter and bicycle programs
bike-trains
high-speed rail

By eliminating the small percentage of drivers who, for whatever
reason, simply cannot cope with modern driving, we can reduce the
estimated 6.6 billion gallons of gasoline wasted by Americans who were
waiting in traffic in 1997, reduce the air pollution associated with
that colossal waste, and reduce the amount of frustration on our roads
in general.

more...
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote44

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How well does the motorcycle work in the snow, ice and cold? I have not
> seen anyone on a motorcycle around here for over three months.

Look more closely. Cold is no reason not to ride; I ride 12
months out of the year, here in northern Colorado. If the roads
are covered with snow or ice, that's another story, but simple
cold weather won't stop a LOT of riders. Even snow and ice
can be dealt with, but most riders don't need to. (We have
alternate forms of transportation, and it's just too much trouble
to either prep the bike for those conditions or to keep one
dedicated for that sort of riding; even if we did, there's a
much greater risk in riding on public roads under those
conditions, due to the typical poor ability of OTHERS on
the road then.)

Bob M.

> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful

OK, as part of our presidential campaign (it's not for me:
htttp://webspawner.com/users/elections2008) we are launching a
campaign to get unncessary drivers (particularly the bad ones) off the
road, not by 6% in 15 years, but by 60%...

Oh yes, perfectly doable if there's the political will... and
transportation OPTIONS. We are waiting for Ralph Nader for our
challenge to take up the issue, but if not you know the party...
Banana Revolution.

Funny, Nader made cars so much safer, but never worked on preventing
accidents. I hope he's reading... ;)

A drive toward fewer cars
There are other ways to get from A to B

By JANE HADLEY
P-I REPORTER

Steep gas prices.

Flabby bodies cruising for diabetes and heart trouble.

Global warming.

Air pollution.

If the pitfalls of automobiles aren't already enough to make you think
about chucking your car for other ways of getting around, consider the
growth that is in store for Seattle.

In the next 19 years, the city expects 22,000 new housing units and
50,000 new jobs.

Assuming the same percentage of people continued driving alone to
work, the city estimates it would have to build 20 city blocks of 10-
story parking garages downtown.

"Nobody wants to do that," says Patrice Gillespie-Smith, chief of
staff of the city's Department of Transportation. "We are very
motivated to offer incentives to get people out of their cars."

In 2000, 61 percent of all Seattle work trips were by someone driving
alone. By 2020, the city's transportation strategic plan wants to
knock that down to 55 percent. People tend to become more interested
in shifting out of their cars if gas or parking prices escalate, and
if alternatives to the car are reliable, affordable and convenient,
experts say.

But it often takes something unusual to inspire or shake people into
the awareness of those alternatives, said David Allen, senior
transportation planner for the city.

A city program called "One Less Car Challenge" aims to do just that,
Allen said. The program encourages people to give up use of one car
for one month, offering commuters tips on getting around by bus, bike
or foot and also providing the free use of a Flexcar when needed.

Of the 86 people who signed up initially in the fall of 2003, 20
percent decided to give up a car and the rest have vowed to drive
less, Allen said. "It proved people could do it," he said.

And the city is hoping to encourage people to use cars less by making
it more difficult to find places to park.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/transportation/258737_nocar08.html

On Feb 21, 7:59 am, donquijote1954 <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Feb 20, 6:30 pm, DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:

zle.com/ride_shirt-235520928427805825

> And about the frugal scooters? They only got a little motor...
>
> http://www.zazzle.com/scooter_shirt-235994025243531447

yes, a little motor can only suck a little. Scooters suck <WAY/> less
than cars, in fact they're almost as cool as bikes... if they were
electric motors they would probably suck even less.

In article
<368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b61977fb@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 7:59 am, donquijote1954 <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > On Feb 20, 6:30 pm, DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:

> zle.com/ride_shirt-235520928427805825
> >
> > And about the frugal scooters? They only got a little motor...
> >
> > http://www.zazzle.com/scooter_shirt-235994025243531447

> yes, a little motor can only suck a little. Scooters suck <WAY/> less
> than cars, in fact they're almost as cool as bikes... if they were
> electric motors they would probably suck even less.

Riiiiight....

....good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

On Feb 21, 9:09 am, donquijote1954 <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Feb 21, 7:37 am, Bolwerk <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> Giving people options
> Increased transportation options for people who cannot drive must
> coincide with efforts to weed out lousy drivers. Forcing people out of
> their cars, with no way to get to work, breeds outlaws and
> joblessness. Some ways include:
>
> electric scooter and bicycle programs
> bike-trains
> high-speed rail
>
> By eliminating the small percentage of drivers who, for whatever
> reason, simply cannot cope with modern driving, we can reduce the
> estimated 6.6 billion gallons of gasoline wasted by Americans who were
> waiting in traffic in 1997, reduce the air pollution associated with
> that colossal waste, and reduce the amount of frustration on our roads
> in general.
>
> more...http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote44

Geeze lousie, you're so close you could almost touch it... But then
you fall off and end up right back in the middle of the "get >them<
the hell outta my way" camp. The problem isn't a small percentage of
motorists, it's motorists. Now it is far beyond the point where any
governmental regulation can solve the problem, we must kill and eat
them, all of them.

Give up the petrol or die pig!

On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b6197...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>
> DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Feb 21, 7:59 am, donquijote1954 <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> > > On Feb 20, 6:30 pm, DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:

> > zle.com/ride_shirt-235520928427805825
> >
> > ... Scooters suck <WAY/> less
> > than cars, in fact they're almost as cool as bikes... if they were
> > electric motors they would probably suck even less.

> Riiiiight....
>
> ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.

If your kids can't get themselves to their own hockey game, there's
something seriously wrong.

- Frank Krygowski

On Feb 21, 2:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b6197...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

> > DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > zle.com/ride_shirt-235520928427805825

> > > ... Scooters suck <WAY/> less
> > > than cars, in fact they're almost as cool as bikes... if they were
> > > electric motors they would probably suck even less.

> > Riiiiight....

> > ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.

> If your kids can't get themselves to their own hockey game, there's
> something seriously wrong.
>
> - Frank Krygowski- Hide quoted text -

One of my coworkers lives in a small town. They borrow a neighboring
towns police force, and fire is volunteer. Nice town. His 12-year-
old son plays hockey. Some games are at 6AM, in Boston. Even if the
kid could get to the nearest train station, 10 miles away, with all of
his gear, there are no trains running that early. Other games are in
Plaistow, NH - there's no way to get there by train. Others are out
west, and if he makes the playoffs he'll be traveling out of state.
He's too young to work, and too young to drive. How do you suggest he
gets himself and all his equipment to his games?

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:27:17 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:

>On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article
>> <368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b6197...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > zle.com/ride_shirt-235520928427805825
>> >
>> > ... Scooters suck <WAY/> less
>> > than cars, in fact they're almost as cool as bikes... if they were
>> > electric motors they would probably suck even less.

>> Riiiiight....
>>
>> ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.

>If your kids can't get themselves to their own hockey game, there's
>something seriously wrong.
>
>- Frank Krygowski

You're an idiot, Frank.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

'With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.'
HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/

On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b6197...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Feb 21, 7:59 am, donquijote1954 <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> > > On Feb 20, 6:30 pm, DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:

> > zle.com/ride_shirt-235520928427805825

> > > And about the frugal scooters? They only got a little motor...

> > >http://www.zazzle.com/scooter_shirt-235994025243531447

> > yes, a little motor can only suck a little.  Scooters suck <WAY/> less
> > than cars, in fact they're almost as cool as bikes... if they were
> > electric motors they would probably suck even less.

> Riiiiight....
>
> ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.

Just don't have so many kids. Or have them all ride bikes to the
hockey game.

Hey, a van sometimes is necessary. Nobody is preaching kicking the
addiction altogether.

On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 21, 9:09 am, donquijote1954 <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 21, 7:37 am, Bolwerk <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Giving people options
> > Increased transportation options for people who cannot drive must
> > coincide with efforts to weed out lousy drivers. Forcing people out of
> > their cars, with no way to get to work, breeds outlaws and
> > joblessness. Some ways include:

> > electric scooter and bicycle programs
> > bike-trains
> > high-speed rail

> > By eliminating the small percentage of drivers who, for whatever
> > reason, simply cannot cope with modern driving, we can reduce the
> > estimated 6.6 billion gallons of gasoline wasted by Americans who were
> > waiting in traffic in 1997, reduce the air pollution associated with
> > that colossal waste, and reduce the amount of frustration on our roads
> > in general.

> > more...http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote44

> Geeze lousie, you're so close you could almost touch it... But then
> you fall off and end up right back in the middle of the "get >them<
> the hell outta my way" camp. The problem isn't a small percentage of
> motorists, it's motorists.  Now it is far beyond the point where any
> governmental regulation can solve the problem, we must kill and eat
> them, all of them.
>
> Give up the petrol or die pig!- Hide quoted text -

I'm for "live and let live." Then things naturally fall into place. A
good example is Key West. It's smart to ride a bike or scooter and
most people do so. A good way to do that is restrict parking. When you
are too ambitious nobody buys into it, and cannibalism is not the
way. ;)

On Feb 21, 2:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b6197...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

> >  DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > zle.com/ride_shirt-235520928427805825

> > > ... Scooters suck <WAY/> less
> > > than cars, in fact they're almost as cool as bikes... if they were
> > > electric motors they would probably suck even less.

> > Riiiiight....

> > ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.

> If your kids can't get themselves to their own hockey game, there's
> something seriously wrong.
>
> - Frank Krygowski- Hide quoted text -

Maybe they are driven there against their will. ;)

In article <200eb468-e0bf-408b-8be9-0a80a84856ce@e60g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,
<[email protected]> wrote:
>On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article
>> <368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b6197...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > zle.com/ride_shirt-235520928427805825
>> >
>> > ... Scooters suck <WAY/> less
>> > than cars, in fact they're almost as cool as bikes... if they were
>> > electric motors they would probably suck even less.

>> Riiiiight....
>>
>> ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.

>If your kids can't get themselves to their own hockey game, there's
>something seriously wrong.

They won't be doing it on a scooter. Or a bicycle.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

On Feb 21, 2:47 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > In article
> > > <368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b6197...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

> > > Riiiiight....

> > > ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.

> > If your kids can't get themselves to their own hockey game, there's
> > something seriously wrong.

> > - Frank Krygowski- Hide quoted text -

> One of my coworkers lives in a small town.  They borrow a neighboring
> towns police force, and fire is volunteer.  Nice town.  His 12-year-
> old son plays hockey.  Some games are at 6AM, in Boston.  Even if the
> kid could get to the nearest train station, 10 miles away, with all of
> his gear, there are no trains running that early.  Other games are in
> Plaistow, NH - there's no way to get there by train.  Others are out
> west, and if he makes the playoffs he'll be traveling out of state.
> He's too young to work, and too young to drive.  How do you suggest he
> gets himself and all his equipment to his games?- Hide quoted text -

We are talking about retiring drivers that don't have any need for
cars other that long trips. Most trips in America fall in the short
range category, easily covered by bikes, scooters and public
transportation.

Have you noticed how the lion has a set of priorities different from
the little animals --even when it means life or death to them?

"United States - The death toll on our highways makes driving the
number one cause of death and injury for young people ages 5 to 27.
Highway crashes cause 94 percent of all transportation fatalities and
99 percent of all transportation injuries, yet *traffic safety
programs receive only one percent of the funding of the U.S. DOT
budget*. The staggering loss of life and the incidence of life-
threatening injuries occurring each year is best described as a public
health crisis."

http://www.safecarguide.com/exp/statistics/statistics.htm

Here's the story of the lion... ;)

HOW THE LION BENEFITS FROM THE LITTLE ANIMALS' POVERTY

One day all the little animals went up to the King of the Jungle and
complained about their poverty, and in particular about the fact that
every time, during the dry season, they had to travel long distances
to drink the precious fluid, and demanded a WATER WELL be built for
them... They cited how the resources that they contributed to the
kingdom were wasted in WARS and EXTRAVAGANT PROJECTS to the tastes of
the King... He, however, replied with all kinds of excuses: the lack
of resources, that it wasn't a matter of him not wanting it, but that
it was a matter of "priorities" --which was one of his favorite
words...

Meanwhile, an Owl --who had very good eyes-- had been observing life
in the jungle, and thought this way: "Every time there's a dry season
the little animals must come to the little dirty waterhole where the
Lion waits for them... Had they been well fed and strong, he would
have had to run after them and even risk resistance. And, more
importantly, the little animals are forced to fight the Lion's wars as
the quick way out of poverty..."

And that's how the Owl landed an important --and well paid-- post in
the brand new Astronomy Department created by the King of the Jungle --
to the effect of exploring life in other planets...

[email protected] wrote:

> On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b6197...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > zle.com/ride_shirt-235520928427805825
> > >
> > > ... Scooters suck <WAY/> less
> > > than cars, in fact they're almost as cool as bikes... if they were
> > > electric motors they would probably suck even less.

> > Riiiiight....
> >
> > ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.

> If your kids can't get themselves to their own hockey game, there's
> something seriously wrong.
>
> - Frank Krygowski

They can just walk 15 miles on their own? At age 9?

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

In article
<[email protected]>,
donquijote1954 <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
> > In article
> > <368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b6197...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> >
> >  DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > zle.com/ride_shirt-235520928427805825

> > > yes, a little motor can only suck a little.  Scooters suck <WAY/> less
> > > than cars, in fact they're almost as cool as bikes... if they were
> > > electric motors they would probably suck even less.

> > Riiiiight....
> >
> > ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.
> >

> Just don't have so many kids. Or have them all ride bikes to the
> hockey game.
>
> Hey, a van sometimes is necessary. Nobody is preaching kicking the
> addiction altogether.

No.

Just making the subtle assumption that it *is* an addiction; something
bad and to be eliminated.

Personal vehicles are one of the greatest forces for personal liberty
and quality of life ever invented.