Reckless, Aggressive Drivers: Homegrown Terrorists

On Feb 21, 7:51 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2:56 pm, .p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:
>

> > >- Frank Krygowski

> >         You're an idiot, Frank.

> Hmm.  A person lacking courage to identify himself, hurling a juvenile
> insult, while posting zero intelligent content.  Not very impressive!
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Well, at least you've got him beat in one respect (assuming you're
posting under your real name.)

On Feb 22, 9:53 am, Pat <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > Wow you really insist on showing the world how you are unable to comprehend
> > > anything about society and the real world.

> > Why don't you take a vacation in Europe? They are also part of the
> > real world. Actually, America is the only one that is different among
> > developed nations. I wonder why.- Hide quoted text -

> I guess I just don't understand the whole concept of debating whether
> cars are good or bad. They are what they are: good for some and
> useless for others. And while I don't try to impose my view on you
> (speaking broadly here), I don't understand what right you have to
> impose your view on me. I like Rocky Road ice cream. That doesn't
> mean that you should too. It's personal preference and affordability
> and need and a phethora of other things.

Pat, I'm sure I told you before that I don't question the fact you
drive a vehicle, not even the fact that you live in the boondocks
(remember the word?), just that I assert my right to travel on two
wheels in relative safety. And what I see out there is intimidating,
intimidating enough to make my girlfriend take the sidewalk, and me
give up the bicycle sport as an intolerable blood sport...

> The gov't can clearly set some type of emissions standards for cars
> and can enforce them, although it is tougher to impose them
> retroactively on older cars. The government can control useage
> through tax policy.

Exactly. You got enough money to waste on gas, then pay a hefty price
for SUVs. Call it "Global Warming tax" if you will.

> The government can also subsidize alternatives and promote research
> into alternatives.

Sure. That tax above would pay for the subsidies.

> But when all is said and done, it is the individual consumer who
> decides what to buy and where to drive and how to use their vehicles.
> Market forces are incredibly hard to overcome.

Market forces are business forces manipulated from above. Nothing
democratic about it. Other peoples drive smaller cars following
"market forces," or better said, following higher gas prices.

> Since I am on a rant, one more pet peeve. Whoever it is who keeps
> saying they ride a scooter and therefore such-and-such. It's a real
> problem to consider yourself as riding a scooter. You're riding a
> motorcycle. Get it, a motorcycle. It's legal no different than a
> Harley or crotch-rocket (at least in the state's I am familiar with).
> If it's got a motor and two (or three) wheels and a license plate then
> it's a motorcycle. If it doesn't have a plate, then it can't be on
> the road. If it's a motorcycle, then ride it like one. Get out in
> the lane. Maintain road speed. Use your lane to your advantage.
> Don't hug the shoulder. Otherwise, get off the road -- you're too
> dangerous. I have a fairly big bike but ride on expressways quite a
> lot and have to deal with tractor trailers and cars all the time.
> I've had very little trouble. In fact, I'd say that trucks are
> particularly careful around a bike. Thinks like overside loads with
> escort vehicles pay particular attention to bikes to make sure they
> don't hit the wind-blast wrong. But by the same token, when a truck
> doesn't have a covered load and has gravel coming off, I get on my CB
> and tell them. They normally apologize and don't realize what they
> are doing. Most promise they will rectify the problem and I believe
> them.

Truck drivers are real drivers. The best drivers in America. They have
special license and training.

> For all the worrying about inattentive SUV drivers, I wonder if you
> aren't part of the problem. I've never found that to be an issue.

I guess you don't know because you don't live in an urban environment.
They are threat to others, just by being oversized. But the solution
is NOT to ban them, but to have them get a truck license like above.
Aren't SUVs trucks?

(Quoted from 'It's No Accident." The items I disagree with, I put a
question mark. Consider it a rough draft for the revolution's traffic
safey policy, or simply an impossible dream for America)

As to what should constitute gross negligence on the part of
motorists, this is obviously the stikiest part of the equation. Some
of what I believe constitutes gross negligence is perfectly legal
right now. Other such behaviors net little more than a slap on the
wrist. However, if our society is ever to get truly serious about
elimination avoidable crashes on our roads, it is essential that we
begin to distinguish between crashes that result from honest mistakes
and those that result from INTENTIONAL DISREGARD FOR SAFETY. [my
emphasis]

Accordingly, any definition of gross negligence would, at minimum,
include crashes that involve the following:

- talking on a hand-held or hands-free phone, watching TV, reading a
newspaper, or operating a laptop computer while driving [!]

- driving more than 14mph over the speed limit

- driving more than 9mph over the speed limit AND engaging in anyone
of the following behaviors: taigating, attempting to pass another
vehicle that is already traveling at the speed limit [?]*, running a
solid red light, or running a stop sign

- hit and run, etc...

* I don't think anyone should play vigilante. Besides we can put speed
cameras that do the job better, with less road rage.

I'd add my own:

- zigzagging around cars

- driving too slow (15mph under the limit)

- installing equipment that imperil other people, such as macho
bumpers

Brian Huntley wrote:
> On Feb 22, 1:42 am, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Brian Huntley wrote:
>>> The somthing that's seriously wrong there is the hockey league, that
>>> expects kids and their parents to drive all over creation like that.
>>> If they must travel that far to find competition, why the heck
>>> doesn't the team meet at the local arena and have a team bus or
>>> something? Or better, why travel so darned far?

>> What business is it of yours?

> Well, if that were the case here, it would prevent my son from playing
> hockey because I don't have a car.

But it's not the case there (your there, not the other person's there, where
it is the case). HTH

> Meanwhile, I share the planet with your son's team and the 30-odd cars
> that drive around for every game they play.

I don't have a son, but otherwise great comment.

> That's what business it is of mine.

Drive Nanny.

OK, since the subject here is ROAD TERRORISM, it may be useful to know
what the color code on our roads is...

(quoted from 'It's No Accident')

Since the September 11th terrorist attacks, officials in the Bush
Administration have been issuing routine reminders about the threads
posed by terrorists and urging us to be on the lookout for suspicious
activity. In March 2002 the Department of Homeland Security introduced
a color-coded terror system to alert law enforcement officials and the
general public to increases in the level of "chatter" the goverment
intercepts from suspected terror cells. We are urged to take extra
precautions when the threat level is elevated.

(...)

Such efforts to alert the public to the potential for future attacks
and encourage us to be prepared may indeed save some lives. On a day-
to-day basis, however, the greatest threat to our individual safety is
the same as it was before September 11th: DANGEROUS DRIVERS. If a
color-coded system were adopted today to warn Americans of the risk of
impending death or injury while traveling the nation's roads, we would
have to be on CODE RED alert every single day.

In spite of this reality, the government makes little effort to inform
the public about the high crash rate on our roads, remind motorists of
the rules of the road, warn them of the risks inherent in all forms of
dangerous driving, encourage safe driving, or condemn dangerous
driving.

[Warning: These terrorists are on the loose]

On Feb 22, 11:30 am, donquijote1954 <[email protected]>
wrote:
> (Quoted from 'It's No Accident." The items I disagree with...

I tend to agree with you about drivers, Don.

However it N. America your posts on this subject amount to tilting at
windmills. I guess that explains the nym, eh? LOL!
d.

On Feb 22, 5:42 pm, denizen <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 11:30 am, donquijote1954 <[email protected]>
> wrote:> (Quoted from 'It's No Accident." The items I disagree with...
>
> I tend to agree with you about drivers, Don.
>
> However it N. America your posts on this subject amount to tilting at
> windmills. I guess that explains the nym, eh? LOL!
> d.

Sort of. ;)

In Europe they are redundant, and in America they fall on deaf ears.
Should I take the revolution to So. America or Africa? There's a
better chance of them listening...

Banana Revolution sounds tropical, doesn't it?

Dennis P. Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:11:49 -0600 in rec.bicycles.misc, Tom
> Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The convincing evidence for the responsible parties for that event has
>> never been presented to the public.
>>

> oh, please. what part of the video of bin laden laughing about
> it did you not understand?
>
> PLONK.

Some people are too easily fooled.

What part of the CIA or Mossad being able to fake a video did you not
understand?

Furthermore, it would hardly be a new phenomena for someone to claim
responsibility for a high visibility crime. For all we know, UBL could
be on the payroll of a government intelligence agency. If UBL did not
exist, he would have to be invented to scare people.

[email protected] aka Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article
>> <368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b6197...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> DennisTheBald <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> zle.com/ride_shirt-235520928427805825
>>>
>>> ... Scooters suck <WAY/> less
>>> than cars, in fact they're almost as cool as bikes... if they were
>>> electric motors they would probably suck even less.

>> Riiiiight....
>>
>> ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.

> If your kids can't get themselves to their own hockey game, there's
> something seriously wrong.

Indeed. When I was a child, we walked or rode our bicycles to get places.

It is a sick society that thinks a two ton steel cage is needed to haul
a child around.

David White wrote:
> [...]
>> We are talking about retiring drivers that don't have any >need for
>> cars other that long trips. Most trips in America fall in >the short
>> range category, easily covered by bikes, scooters and >public
>> transportation.

> Come to So. Calif. Public transportation is a joke. Our jobs are upwards of
> 50 miles from our homes. Please tell us what you consider a "Short Range"
> trip.

Working at a job 50 miles away from one's residence is the real joke.

[email protected] aka Frank Krygowski wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2:56 pm, .p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote:
>>> - Frank Krygowski

>> You're an idiot, Frank.

> Hmm. A person lacking courage to identify himself, hurling a juvenile
> insult, while posting zero intelligent content. Not very impressive!
>
> - Frank Krygowski

Usenet would be greatly improved if everyone had to use his/her real name.

Of course, some people still mistakenly put their email address in their
user-name field. Sheesh!

N8N aka NJ Nagel wrote:

>>> You're an idiot, Frank.

>> Hmm. A person lacking courage to identify himself, hurling a juvenile
>> insult, while posting zero intelligent content. Not very impressive!
>>
>> - Frank Krygowski

> Well, at least you've got him beat in one respect (assuming you're
> posting under your real name.)

All indications are that Frank Krygowski is a real person.

David White wrote:
> "Scott in SoCal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 00:36:51 GMT, Alan Baker <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In article
>>> <200eb468-e0bf-408b-8be9-0a80a84856ce@e60g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

>>> They can just walk 15 miles on their own? At age 9?

>> Maybe if you didn't buy that (larger) house out in the middle of what
>> used to be a corn field he wouldn't be 15 miles away from everything.

> If I didn't, my kids would be going to the worst schools on the planet, and
> getting shot at every other day. I choose to live where I do to keep my
> family safe.

That is what you think. However, your unsustainable lifestyle (combined
with that of others living the same way) will leave a world for your
children that is a living hell.

The population of the world WILL severely decrease within the next
century, and it will not be pleasant.

Alan Baker wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> donquijote1954 <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 21, 1:01 pm, Alan Baker <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> In article
>>> <368cf42f-4c77-4b27-8446-54a7b6197...@d21g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

>>> Riiiiight....
>>>
>>> ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.
>>>

>> Just don't have so many kids. Or have them all ride bikes to the
>> hockey game.
>>
>> Hey, a van sometimes is necessary. Nobody is preaching kicking the
>> addiction altogether.

> No.
>
> Just making the subtle assumption that it *is* an addiction; something
> bad and to be eliminated.
>
> Personal vehicles are one of the greatest forces for personal liberty
> and quality of life ever invented.

The personal vehicle should be a bicycle.

Scott in SoCal wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:01:33 GMT, Alan Baker <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Riiiiight....
>>
>> ...good luck getting your kids to their hockey game on a scooter.

> What's wrong with your kids going places on their own? When I was a
> kid, none of the kids got chauffeured around everywhere like they do
> today. Of course, when I was a kid, parents weren't buying McMansions
> on the Urban Fringe that were so far from everything that kids who
> can't drive need rides in order to do ANYTHING. The phrase "play date"
> wasn't even in the lexicon back then - when you wanted to play at your
> friend's house after school, you friggin' WALKED OVER THERE. When you
> were done, you WALKED HOME.
>
> My family had ONE car; my dad walked to the train station and rode the
> train to work, I walked to school, my mom walked to the corner grocery
> store, and the car sat idle most of the time. I wonder how much of our
> current demand for foreign oil comes from parents driving their kids
> around everywhere...

That was a better time in many ways - fewer people, less traffic and
better quality of life.

David White wrote:
> "donquijote1954" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Feb 20, 11:35 am, "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Which is why I think all people who can, should ride a M/Cycle to
>>> prove they can drive adequately....failing the test can mean a failure
>>> in
>>> close casket.....not much to add to that...
>>> Although some need a 4 wheeler for cargo space, 90% of them don't,
>>> and gobble up the city's parking spaces horrendously. In my City, the
>>> meter
>>> maids and insurance companies dump on the M/C guys big time, in a vain
>>> attempt to cause as much damage as possible to the environment and keep
>>> the
>>> accident flow coming their way.....

>> Just wait for gas to get even pricier than it is now, and
>> I think we'll start to see a lot more cagers looking
>> longingly at two-wheeled transportation. In the
>> cities, probably be a lot more scooters - even seen,
>> say, downtown Taipei during rush hour?
>>
>> Bob M.

>> Yeah, but prices are not nearly high enough to make >people move into
>> scooters. Maybe above $8.

> >Parking spaces could be another factor. Small compact >cities like Key
>> West (pop. 25,000) rely a lot on scooters and bikes.

>> And last but not least the factor that keeps most people >from trying
>> two wheels is... FEAR. In the land of the dinosaurs, the >little furry
>> animals must be very careful. :)

> But, there are those who have not the co-ordination to ride motorcycles.

There is always a vehicle like this for such people:
<http://www.twike.com/english_informations.html>. If mass produced the
price would drop dramatically.

Bob Myers wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> How well does the motorcycle work in the snow, ice and cold? I have not
>> seen anyone on a motorcycle around here for over three months.

> Look more closely. Cold is no reason not to ride; I ride 12
> months out of the year, here in northern Colorado. If the roads
> are covered with snow or ice, that's another story, but simple
> cold weather won't stop a LOT of riders. Even snow and ice
> can be dealt with, but most riders don't need to. (We have
> alternate forms of transportation, and it's just too much trouble
> to either prep the bike for those conditions or to keep one
> dedicated for that sort of riding; even if we did, there's a
> much greater risk in riding on public roads under those
> conditions, due to the typical poor ability of OTHERS on
> the road then.)

Yes, if we could keep the cagers off the road, it would be safe to ride
anywhere on a bicycle with studded tires.

On Feb 23, 12:04 am, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Alan Baker wrote:
> > In article
> > <[email protected]>,
> >  donquijote1954 <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Just don't have so many kids. Or have them all ride bikes to the
> >> hockey game.

> >> Hey, a van sometimes is necessary. Nobody is preaching kicking the
> >> addiction altogether.

> > No.

> > Just making the subtle assumption that it *is* an addiction; something
> > bad and to be eliminated.

> > Personal vehicles are one of the greatest forces for personal liberty
> > and quality of life ever invented.

> The personal vehicle should be a bicycle.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

It should, at least 75% of the time. Drivers who defend the status quo
(car monopoly) fail to understand that so many more bikes out there
means so many fewer cars. It's basic arithmetic that 3rd graders would
understand.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes, if we could keep the cagers off the road, it would be safe to ride
>anywhere on a bicycle with studded tires.

Yeah, and if your legs are the size of tree trunks, maybe you'll
actually cover 15 miles in a day riding through slush and ice on those
studded tires.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

On Feb 22, 9:15 am, Brian Huntley <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 22, 1:42 am, "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Brian Huntley wrote:
> > > The somthing that's seriously wrong there is the hockey league, that
> > > expects kids and their parents to drive all over creation like that.
> > > If they must travel that far to find competition, why the heck doesn't
> > > the team meet at the local arena and have a team bus or something? Or
> > > better, why travel so darned far?

> > What business is it of yours?

> Well, if that were the case here, it would prevent my son from playing
> hockey because I don't have a car.
>
> Meanwhile, I share the planet with your son's team and the 30-odd cars
> that drive around for every game they play.
>
> That's what business it is of mine.

this is so whack, all those SUVs are destroying the ice cap faster
than anything outside of China and the whole reason you claim to need
one is to enable yer kid to skate around playing some silly game...
get yer kid a lacrosse stick and let him do his checking on the turf.