Recomendations on Aero bars

SniperX

Jan 29, 2003
Anyone knows any good aero bars and how much they cost? currently riding a trek OCLV and a ITT race is coming up soon..

Mini Sub 8's are good for draft legal tri races
Bio Arms offer multiple hand positions
profile bars with tilting arms are handy if you need to ride on the top bar
Deda Clip ones are sleek, have limited hand positions, the new clip-one carbon is very sexy. Clip ones are also available to suit oversized bars

3T BIO ARMS $195
3T MINI SUB 8 $150
profile design air strike tilting arms $210
deda clip one aero bars $190

prices are from www.nemesis.cc

syntace

they come in 3 sizes (s, m, l) and aren't adjustable, but if they fit you, they're the best. some profile models are very adjustable, but that means lots of parts (screws, nuts, 2-piece bars, etc.) but usually much heavier than sysntace.

I've got 2 sets of syntace...

streamliner, which I use if I need them on my road bike, about $115

c2 ultralite, mounted on my tt bike, about $140

(prices US$)

a friend had the deda clip-one bars but tossed them because they didn't clamp well and rotated up and down while in use. I would think one clamp would find it difficult to hold the weight firmly.

how long is needed for the training? have only around a month left b4 the race

a month to go! no worries!
just keep training as per normal, but get yourself some aero bars and set them up so that you are essentially in the same position as you are when you are going for it in the drops. that way your body will not feel too much difference and your muscles are already used to being in a similar position. if you put your aero bars such that you are lower than when you are in your drops you may not be as powerfull, may not be able to sustain that position,etc,etc.
aero bars in an ITT will make an improvement of about 3kph!!
do a couple of practice time trials of the same length,etc. get out there and build some character, think about how much time you are putting into YOUR Nemesis!
let us know how it goes!

what if i were to do the ITT without the aero bar ? Will I be at a big disadvantage?

if the course is hilly, the weight savings might be usefull, but for flat ITT courses, aerobars make a big difference! I would definately use them.

apart from the aero advantages, you will also find you can get into a more comfortable position that you can sustain quite comfortably, and that translates into less energy wastage and ultimately more SPEED! if you are in australia, i can get you some good deals on aerobars. email me at [email protected]

3TTT Sub 8's are a bit notorious for sliding forwards off the clamps. You have to be a bit careful with setting them up, that's all.
I use Profile Century's at the mo, cheap at £30, comfy arm cups and not too heavy. Sure there are better bars out there in terms of styling, weight and adjusability but you pay accordingly.
Re. actually riding aero, a good few miles are required to get your legs accustomed to delivering the power in a slightly different position. I feel less 'strong' than when riding more upright on my hoods, but like most things this can be improved with practise.
Your position in the bars is critical too, if you are not achieving a flattish back and narrow arms this will compromise their usefulness. If you are doing tri (especially middle & long-distance) then you may require a less extreme position than an out-and-out TT'er as there is still the run to come!

Hope this helps,
Andy.

i just got the profile aerolite and guess what ... my timing became slower ~~ sucks man ... thought its suppose to make me go faster? any one knows what went wrong? my legs are more sore then usual also =|

You need to practice in your TT position. you need to get the muscles conditioned to being in the TT position for a sustained period of time. you may need to work on your flexibility (gluts, hamstring, back,etc). if your quads are sorer than usual it sounds like you may be too far forward. try to position yourself the same as when you are in the drops as your muscles are used to that position. dont put your bars out too long - just mimik the drop postion. we will be faster with practice.

Question....Profile Carbon Stryke vs. Syntace Streamliner. Which is the better choice for triathlons? Profile has better adjustability, Syntace has fewer parts. What is the best choice???

deda aero bars are the best out there (imho) in terms of value for money, functionality, aerodynamics, and even wow factor!
check out the deda clip black carbon bars, www.bikepro.com.au sells them for A$300 or A$150 for the clip one. the grip on the clip black is by far the best i have ever felt.

nemesis said:
deda aero bars are the best out there (imho) in terms of value for money, functionality, aerodynamics, and even wow factor!
check out the deda clip black carbon bars, www.bikepro.com.au sells them for A$300 or A$150 for the clip one. the grip on the clip black is by far the best i have ever felt.
Holy cow.... i know I am a bit late on this, I was wondering what you ended up getting, because I just purchased a new road bike and am now looking at getting some aero bars for my new bike..... I went through 3 sets of profile bars before I got a pair of syntace streamliners on my old bike and finally NOTHING FELL OFF.

I mainly do Tris but just love the normal riding position, but on my first tri last week in over 16 months, I had no Aero bars and I thought I was going to die and it was only a 10 km bike! after 2 kms I kept trying to get down in my aero position, alas to no avail.

so im seriously considering going back to another pair of Syntaces, unless there are other products around now, I saw the clip on ones, which would be great for getting on and off, but I worry about stability and rattle factor and all things I suffered with the Profile bars.

However, im looking to a carbon pair as I now have a carbon bike, what would be a recommendation for carbon add on aero bars ? I dont think syntace do any do they ?

i have the profile carbon x on my tri bike and love it, i also know someone who has the HED aero bars and loves them. Thesse of course have the bar end shifters, so if u r lookn for draft legal bars(ITU races) the i cant help uthere

tcrunner07 said:
i have the profile carbon x on my tri bike and love it, i also know someone who has the HED aero bars and loves them. Thesse of course have the bar end shifters, so if u r lookn for draft legal bars(ITU races) the i cant help uthere
I have seen the profile carbon x, I also like the look of the Profile Strike Carbon, they look very comfy, but the cost also matches those looks, but does anybody use these, any opinions on them ??

More adjustable the better and straighter bars are good too (personal preference) strong enough clamping to allow you to lever against them.
I've found Deda's GCBs are good.