Recovering from a long ride

pauly999

Jun 18, 2004
A couple of days ago I did the "Around the Bay in a Day" ride around Port Phillip Bay in Victoria, Australia. Its a 215km ride, but in total on the day I rode 238km including to and from my house. I have noticed that often after I do a ride of this length, I get "cold/flu" symptoms for a couple of days after the ride. This may include headaches, sniffly nose, scratchy throat, hot/cold feelings and weary body. Nothing really bad, its not like I get really sick, but I often feel like I am on the edge of coming down with something. Its almost like my body has trouble regulating its temperature after riding, and its weird, because I feel great when I am actually riding, and I always make sure I am warm/cool enough during the ride. I am wondering if there's anything I may be doing wrong, or if theres any way of avoiding these symptoms.
:confused:

G'day Paul,

Couple of questions...

Do you do a ride of this length regularly?
Did you build your training up to 240km?

Seems like your body isn't used to this type of a ride and cannot handle it very well. Things that I would see as having happened would include possible vitamin and mineral deficiencies, tightened and overused muscles causing lack of blood flow - and in turn your body's immune system and system in general haven't been able to cope, causing you to feel the way you do.

Must say though, this year was an absolute ripper compared to the last one!!

G'day Jhikers,

Thanks for yer reply. To answer yer questions, I ride an average of 130 km a week these days, and probably do a 100km+ ride about every month or so on average. More lately in preparation for the Bay Ride, so yeah, I did build myself up to it. I did four 100+ rides in the 6 weeks leading up to the event, including one 150km ride. I do get these symptoms after some of these rides too (maybe to a lesser extent).

You may be right at the vitamin deficiency thing, maybe it is a diet thing. Also I am carrying around 3-4 extra kilos that I could lose. (They just dont seem to go away.) Dunno if that has anything to do with it.

Either way, nothing will stop me riding my 2 wheeled treasure. Can't beat it.
Oh yeah, and it WAS a GREAT day compared to last year!!

pauly999 said:
You may be right at the vitamin deficiency thing, maybe it is a diet thing.

Could be a diet thing, but also sometimes vitamin deficiencies occur because of physical activity and can be helped through supplements. A blood test from a Naturopath may be able to help.

pauly999 said:

I reckon!

pauly999 said:
G'day Jhikers,

Thanks for yer reply. To answer yer questions, I ride an average of 130 km a week these days, and probably do a 100km+ ride about every month or so on average. More lately in preparation for the Bay Ride, so yeah, I did build myself up to it. I did four 100+ rides in the 6 weeks leading up to the event, including one 150km ride. I do get these symptoms after some of these rides too (maybe to a lesser extent).

You may be right at the vitamin deficiency thing, maybe it is a diet thing. Also I am carrying around 3-4 extra kilos that I could lose. (They just dont seem to go away.) Dunno if that has anything to do with it.

Oh yeah, and it WAS a GREAT day compared to last year!!
I find intensity matters a lot, not just mileage. On a ride where I go hard, say over 85-90% max HR for an hour or more, I'll feel it for a few days afterward, and may come down with the symptoms you mentioned. The same miles done at an aerobic pace (70-80%) don't seem to bother me nearly as much.

At age 57, in general I find it just takes more time to recover now from hard efforts....up to a week of recovery rides for me to feel well and ready to train again.