Recovery Ride?

rclouviere

Apr 10, 2011
Need some help. Can someone tell me, what is the benefit of a recovery ride? I do notice a psychological benefit in that I look forward to it, because I won't be exhausted...

And, when should I do the recovery ride? After a long ride, or after a interval workout, or both?

Finally, on a scale of 1 to 10, where should I be as far as effort?

thanks, rick

I usually do a recovery ride the day after I've done a long hard ride.

For instance, I usually do a 65 to 75 mile ride on Saturdays and on Sunday I'll do about a 20 mile recovery ride. On my recovery ride I just pedal easily keeping my normal cadence, but I accelerate slowly, avoid steep hills, and stay off the big chainring.

I just want to spin my legs so I'll stay loose and flush the acid out of my muscles. I'd say I try to avoid going much above a 5 or 50% effort....

Originally Posted by rclouviere .

Need some help. Can someone tell me, what is the benefit of a recovery ride? I do notice a psychological benefit in that I look forward to it, because I won't be exhausted...

And, when should I do the recovery ride? After a long ride, or after a interval workout, or both?

Finally, on a scale of 1 to 10, where should I be as far as effort?

thanks, rick

A recovery ride helps flush some of the lactate out of your legs, and helps stretch & loosen the muscles & tendons. It also enhances "muscle memory", effectively training your body to ride at all times. In simple terms, it makes you feel better, sooner than you would have without it.

Do your recovery ride after an extended, hard effort. This could have been a hard ride due to duration of ride, pace, or terrain. It could also come at the end of a long series of rides where you now need a break. (In this case, you may need a "recovery week" and not just one ride.) Basically, when your body is sore or tired.

On a 1-10 scale, I try to keep them below 3's. Easier is better. Low gear, no hills, high cadence, one hour or less. The effort required the day before in the hard ride dictates how easy the recovery ride will be.

Great reply mkadam68. I'm so competitive with myself, it's really hard to go that slow, but I know it's better for me.

Should a recovery ride be part of my weekly training, or only after a tough ride?

Originally Posted by rclouviere .

Great reply mkadam68. I'm so competitive with myself, it's really hard to go that slow, but I know it's better for me.

Should a recovery ride be part of my weekly training, or only after a tough ride?

I would think that you should be doing a tough ride at least once a week anyway /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif Unless you're in a recovery week or in base-building.