Recumbents in the TDF?

kdelong

Dec 14, 2006
I was riding the local bike trail with my lady friend over the weekend and we kept seeing (and getting passed by) a lot of recumbents. My lady friend brought up a good question, "When will they allow recumbents in the Tour de France?" This got me thinking and I would like to pose a question to all who are interested. Imagine that you are a member of the governing board of the TDF and a discussion is coming up about possibly including recumbents in the race. Would you be for it or against it, and why?

kdelong said:
I was riding the local bike trail with my lady friend over the weekend and we kept seeing (and getting passed by) a lot of recumbents. My lady friend brought up a good question, "When will they allow recumbents in the Tour de France?" This got me thinking and I would like to pose a question to all who are interested. Imagine that you are a member of the governing board of the TDF and a discussion is coming up about possibly including recumbents in the race. Would you be for it or against it, and why?
How do recumbents compare to regular bike when it comes to speed? Naively, I expect recumbents to be left to bite the dust in the top pro-event. Moreover, there are probably numerous safety issues to consider, since the chance of accidents are increased a lot if you include a recumbant along with the regular bikes (think of how closely packed the peloton rides)...

kdelong said:
Recumbents are quicker AFAIK on flat terrain. They struggle on the hills... which means they wouldn't compete at the TdF probably, unless they could gain lots of minutes on the flat.

They were banned like in the 30's after some guy came out and smashed the bike speed record... or the one hour race record... or something similar. I'm not sure if it was just a reaction of the cycling aristocracy ("This is not a bicycle!") or whether it was thought that the geometry and riding position were unsafe in a peloton under race conditions.

Why aren't NASCAR race cars allowed in Formula 1?

Why can't you swim freestyle in a backstroke event?

Why can't you use checkers' rules when you play chess?

Why? Because that's the way the rules of the games are written. Since there's a massive number of games and sports that have similar restrictions, why not just pick a game/sport that fits your needs?

Why not? Because the interest in allowing recumbents approaches zero compared to those who don't want recumbents; because the TdF was never about recumbents; because the two different vehicles are entirely different, save for pedals, two wheels, and human power.

Recumbents would add zero of interest to the competition....unless of course you like brainless entertainment like American reality shows.

Well, to put it slightly more diplomatically than Alienator, it is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. There is no reason or interest to allow recumbents to race the TdF with road bikes. To the best of my knowledge, there is no professional recumbent racing league, and the UCI rules re: what constitutes a racing bicycle are actually quite stringent (and set up to purposefully slow/stop equipment development - no fairings, etc). Grazie e arrivederci.

You can see the sponsors logos as well in a bent.
The real reason! ;)

Also, the riders would not look so good with beards (which are compulsory for riding bents). :)

scirocco said:
Also, the riders would not look so good with beards (which are compulsory for riding bents). :)

Yep. And wearing Birkenstocks would ******** the riders' shoe sponsors.

alienator said:
Yep. And wearing Birkenstocks would ******** the riders' shoe sponsors.
LOL, I am certain Sidi could come out with a carbon soled Birkenstock model... :D

I somewhat have the same problem with motorcycle speed records. They try to call those rocket ships with two wheels motorcycles. For crying out loud, they don't even have motorcycle engines.

scirocco said:
And baggy pants with no underwear is also a bad look.

Here we have a fine example of high style for a recumbent rider. Note the sweat band, beard, short shorts, sandals, and John Wayne physique. The bike also has the requisite extra cargo capacity.

Varney.jpg

Bro Deal said:
Here we have a fine example of high style for a recumbent rider. Note the sweat band, beard, short shorts, sandals, and John Wayne physique. The bike also has the requisite extra cargo capacity.
That high stylin' dude also probably just completed a 40 mile ride in under an hour, in time to get to his 75th birthday celebration. We should all be so stylin' when we're that age.

Bob Ross said:
That high stylin' dude also probably just completed a 40 mile ride in under an hour, in time to get to his 75th birthday celebration. We should all be so stylin' when we're that age.
That may be so, and hats off to the gentleman in the pic. Going a bit slower, my 76 y.o. dad regularly rides 30~50 km on very hilly routes on a regular racing bike... and looks a heck of a lot better doing it. :cool:

So, my longer term life plans involve getting the kids through college and continuing to ride as long as I can... mainly on a regular racing bike. Thankyouverymuch! :D

I'm for it but theres to many uptight upright riders that moan and cry ...to many dollars are being spent on uprights

I was riding the local bike trail with my lady friend over the weekend and we kept seeing (and getting passed by) a lot of recumbents. My lady friend brought up a good question, "When will they allow recumbents in the Tour de France?" This got me thinking and I would like to pose a question to all who are interested. Imagine that you are a member of the governing board of the TDF and a discussion is coming up about possibly including recumbents in the race. Would you be for upright bikes require drafting to achieve any speed or distance....when was the last time the upright rider in the front of a paceline stayed in the front for the whole race they don't cause its to hard to fight there pathetic aerodynamics.... recumbent are far superior in aerodynamics ...its easier to use other riders as a crutch to achieve what they could never do alone.... dishonest sport

Why aren't NASCAR race cars allowed in Formula 1?

Why can't you swim freestyle in a backstroke event?

Why can't you use checkers' rules when you play chess?

Why? Because that's the way the rules of the games are written. Since there's a massive number of games and sports that have similar restrictions, why not just pick a game/sport that fits your needs?

Why not? Because the interest in allowing recumbents approaches zero compared to those who don't want recumbents; because the TdF was never about recumbents; because the two different vehicles are entirely different, save for pedals, two wheels, and human power.

Recumbents would add zero of interest to the competition....unless of course you like brainless entertainment like American reality shows.