Red cleats vs black ones?

Doncantador

Mar 11, 2012
We all know the 2 options of the Look compatible cleats the one with the movements 6 degrees the red one vs the black one which are 0 degrees movement. I have never tried the black ones but now they on my cycling shoes and I'm about to try it first time when I'll get time from work. Before I'm going out anyone can share some experience using them vs the red one? Anything I need to know if I'm going to use them which will make the experience better without learning the hard way..?

Doncantador said:
We all know the 2 options of the Look compatible cleats the one with the movements 6 degrees the red one vs the black one which are 0 degrees movement. I have never tried the black ones but now they on my cycling shoes and I'm about to try it first time when I'll get time from work. Before I'm going out anyone can share some experience using them vs the red one? Anything I need to know if I'm going to use them which will make the experience better without learning the hard way..?
Cleat alignment on the bottom of your shoes is much more critical when using the black cleats since there's no float to make up for any misalignment. As a result you'll likely have a longer period of fettling to get the alignment just right than you would with the red or even the grey cleats.

So here is the verdict I went first time with the black cleats on my Mavic shoes. I did the same course I do sometimes which is 23km more like time trial ride. It is the first time I actually passed the 20mph average speed for the entire length of the course. I approved 1kph average speed from the best one I ever did on this length. I can't tell, be sure or direct it to the black cleats but that is the only thing that was different as setup since I'm doing this course. I also felt comfortable with the fact it fixed and not floating, maybe it is beginners luck, maybe I had more wind today, I don't know but I'll check it few more times and then really decide. So far the knees are fine!