Regarding Battle Mountain

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.nasingles.com/nv/battle-mountain-singles.htm
>
> Not excactly about bikes but try the 25 mile search and then the 100 mile search. ;-)
>
> Maybe I'm just too picky.
>
> Mikael

And your point is?

The only any of us go to Battle Mountain (the self-professed "Armpit of America") is because the
road outside of town is billiard table flat and laser straight. We don't go for the social life (if
there is any). We go to go fast or watch bikes go fast.

<Chas> Whose bad back kept him away from BM this year, but who vows "I'll be back" next year.

"Jerry Rhodes" skrev...
> I think Steve Lafayette is one of our regulars around here on ARBR.
>
> I think he rides a ReBike.

Yes and? I was referring to the fact that neither search coughed up any women. Thats all I would be
interested in.

M.

You could always come for the beer <wink>.
"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Jerry Rhodes" skrev...
> > I think Steve Lafayette is one of our regulars around here on ARBR.
> >
> > I think he rides a ReBike.
>
> Yes and? I was referring to the fact that neither search coughed up any women. Thats all I would
> be interested in.
>
> M.

<Chas> wrote:

> The only any of us go to Battle Mountain (the self-professed "Armpit of America") is because the
> road outside of town is billiard table flat and laser straight. We don't go for the social life
> (if there is any). We go to go fast or watch bikes go fast.

Jonathan and I /did/ go to one of the bars this year. Anything to escape from a local madman called
Dave who wanted to chin everyone at the Basque dinner...

--

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

Mikael,

There is much to recommend the wide open spaces in the American desert southwest including Nevada.
But, a hot pickup spot it aint. Having said that, I should note that I met my wife at Fort Irwin in
middle of the Mohave Desert. So, it does work out for some of us.

If you come to visit America, I would recommend the desert southwest, as it is the most unlike
Europe of any place in America.

Gary McCarty, Salt Lake City

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
berlin.de>...
>
> Yes and? I was referring to the fact that neither search coughed up any women. Thats all I would
> be interested in.

"Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Jonathan and I /did/ go to one of the bars this year. Anything to escape from a local madman
> called Dave who wanted to chin everyone at the Basque dinner...
So, was it teeming with pickupable women? Or was it smoky and filled with loser cowboys crying in
their beers?

I need to know if I should go bar-hopping in Battle Mountain next year? <VBG>

Seriously though, the locals that I met in Battle Mountain last year were among the nicest people
I've ever encountered. Just because there isn't an available woman for miles (except at the local
brothel) isn't any different from Silicon Valley. If you're a single guy in SV, you have to drive to
SF to even SEE a woman in a bar!

<Chas> Happily married for almost 25 years, and glad I'm _not_ looking!

> There is much to recommend the wide open spaces in the American desert southwest including Nevada.
> But, a hot pickup spot it aint. Having said that, I should note that I met my wife at Fort Irwin
> in middle of the Mohave Desert. So, it does work out for some of us.

Just to clarify. I was searching on "Battle Mountain" to find some info about the speedruns and
stumbled on this link. Just amused me that the site gushed about how tons of women & men were
waiting for you in Battle Mountain and when you actually searched first the 25 mile and then the 100
mile radius it gave no results at all. ;-)

Mikael

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >> Just to clarify. I was searching on "Battle Mountain" to find some info
> about the speedruns and stumbled on this link. Just amused me that the site gushed about how tons
> of women & men were waiting for you in Battle Mountain and when you actually searched first the 25
> mile and then the 100 mile radius it gave no results at all. ;-)
>

Mikael, I was not making any assumptions about your interests or your love life.

Battle Mountain and all of Nevada is a different kind of place. When I first came west, I had
trouble believing the desert and its openess, which some folks would think of as emptiness. There
are probably more rattlesnakes or coyotes than women within 25 or 100 miles of Battle Mountain. The
nearest city of any great size is Reno on the California border, about 200 road miles away.

I came from a state, Michigan, that is not so much different than Jutland: a flat, green peninsula.
Coming out to a place like Nevada was a shock. But, it grows on you.

What you found in the search on the site is probably true. Most folks probably hook up in high
school or move to a city to find a mate. Nevada is about 8 times as large as the land mass of
Denmark and has a population of only 1.8 million folks, roughly equal to that of Copenhagen. And,
much of that population lives in two cities Reno and Las Vegas. Most of it is pretty empty of
people, men or women.

Gary

"<Chas>" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<QOtEb.587446$HS4.4344567@attbi_s01>...
> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > Jonathan and I /did/ go to one of the bars this year. Anything to escape from a local madman
> > called Dave who wanted to chin everyone at the Basque dinner...
> So, was it teeming with pickupable women? Or was it smoky and filled with loser cowboys crying in
> their beers?
>
> I need to know if I should go bar-hopping in Battle Mountain next year? <VBG>
>
> Seriously though, the locals that I met in Battle Mountain last year were among the nicest people
> I've ever encountered. Just because there isn't an available woman for miles (except at the local
> brothel) isn't any different from Silicon Valley. If you're a single guy in SV, you have to drive
> to SF to even SEE a woman in a bar!
>
> <Chas> Happily married for almost 25 years, and glad I'm _not_ looking!

Drive from SV to SF? How about sparing the air and riding your bike or taking the train to SF. As
you probably know there is massive traffic congestion in SF and difficulty parking. A good place to
see some interesting looking women in SF is from the seat of your recumbent on one of the Critical
Mass rides the last Friday of each month. I only go on these rides about once a year, usually the
Halloween one which has the most interesting people watching. I went on the Halloween ride this year
(riding my Trice Mini) and saw Steve Delaire riding his titanium Tiger. I got a few cute comments
about the small wheeled trike (like walking a small dog) but one of these days I'll have to take my
Bacchetta Aero on a CM ride to see if what Warren Berger said about women prefering men with big
wheels is true.

Zach Kaplan

Zack wrote
> Drive from SV to SF? How about sparing the air and riding your bike or taking the train to SF. As
> you probably know there is massive traffic congestion in SF and difficulty parking. A good place
> to see some interesting looking women in SF is from the seat of your recumbent on one of the
> Critical Mass rides the last Friday of each month. I only go on these rides about once a year,
> usually the Halloween one which has the most interesting people watching. I went on the Halloween
> ride this year (riding my Trice Mini) and saw Steve Delaire riding his titanium Tiger. I got a few
> cute comments about the small wheeled trike (like walking a small dog) but one of these days I'll
> have to take my Bacchetta Aero on a CM ride to see if what Warren Berger said about women
> prefering men with big wheels is true.
>
> Zach Kaplan

If _I_ rode from San Jose, where I work, to SF, I wouldn't have enough energy to do anything about
it even if I met a woman ;)

You are right about the congestion and parking problems. It's too bad that the trains don't run on
weekends right now, and that the replacement busses don't carry bikes! The alternative is to ride to
Fremont (15-25 miles) and take BART to the city. Getting home after a night on the town might be an
issue, but you wouldn't get cited for DUI.

The last CM I rode was about 5 or 6 years ago when it was much less crowded, and much more
friendly. Of course, I was on a DF at the time. Maybe I should take the 'Zak some time, it has one
big wheel <BG>

<Chas

Zach Kaplan Cycles wrote:
> ...I got a few cute comments about the small wheeled trike (like walking a small dog) but one of
> these days I'll have to take my Bacchetta Aero on a CM ride to see if what Warren Berger said
> about women prefering men with big wheels is true.

Zach,

Women roadies might show appreciation for the Aero (titanium alloy frame and high-end components)
but if my experience is any indication, your Sunset would get more favorable attention. At least
mine gets a lot of "That is soooooo Cute!" comments from women. Of course my Sunset [1] is red,
which does not hurt.

[1] < http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/sunset/Sunset001.jpg >

Tom Sherman - 41 N, 90 W