Removal of FSA Mega Exo crank?

nojiri

Sep 17, 2003
Anyone know the best way to remove an FSA Mega Exo (SL-K) crank? I've already removed the non-drive side crank arm, and now it looks like I just need to gently hammer out the center spindle through the BB bearings. It's in there pretty tight. Gently hammer it out?

Thanks! - Nojiri

nojiri said:
Anyone know the best way to remove an FSA Mega Exo (SL-K) crank? I've already removed the non-drive side crank arm, and now it looks like I just need to gently hammer out the center spindle through the BB bearings. It's in there pretty tight. Gently hammer it out?

Thanks! - Nojiri
Hi Nojiri,
For your reference, here's the technical document for your BB:

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downloads/MegaExo%20BB%20Installation%20final%20040820.pdf

and, this is probably the tool you need to remove your crank:

http://www.parktool.com/tools/CWP_6.shtml

You would use the larger tip (for ISIS) supplied with this tool.

Sure, you might get away with a hammer, but then you could damage your crank and/or your bottom bracket. This tool will cost around $15 US.

fish156 said:
Hi Nojiri,
For your reference, here's the technical document for your BB:

http://www.fullspeedahead.com/downloads/MegaExo%20BB%20Installation%20final%20040820.pdf

and, this is probably the tool you need to remove your crank:

http://www.parktool.com/tools/CWP_6.shtml

You would use the larger tip (for ISIS) supplied with this tool.

Sure, you might get away with a hammer, but then you could damage your crank and/or your bottom bracket. This tool will cost around $15 US.

Hi fish156,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I had the FSA document, but unfortunately it only tells you how to install it, not remove it. Thanks also for the Park Tool link. With my SL-K however, it is not ISIS but Mega Exo, and the crank and center spindle are one-piece, so the Park Tool extractor doesn't work for it. I went ahead and "gently" tapped it out with hammer and a soft wood buffer between the hammer and spindle and it popped right out. Thanks again :D .

- Nojiri

nojiri said:
Hi fish156,

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I had the FSA document, but unfortunately it only tells you how to install it, not remove it. Thanks also for the Park Tool link. With my SL-K however, it is not ISIS but Mega Exo, and the crank and center spindle are one-piece, so the Park Tool extractor doesn't work for it. I went ahead and "gently" tapped it out with hammer and a soft wood buffer between the hammer and spindle and it popped right out. Thanks again :D .

- Nojiri
Isn't the misinformation you get truely amazing. Especially from the fools that don't even have a clue what you have.

boudreaux said:
Isn't the misinformation you get truely amazing. Especially from the fools that don't even have a clue what you have.
You know what? On second look at the doc I linked it's pretty obvious that once you have the non-drive side crank out that all you need to do is push the axle/crank assembly through. Yeh, I missed that. It's really a shame, Sydney, that you need to be such an ass to make your point. Besides making an ass out of yourself and showing what a bitter person you are, Sydney, just what, exactly, did you add to this thread? If the non-drive side crank was frozen, the tool I referenced would, in fact, be the the right one for his crankset.

Yes, you can use a hammer and get the two crank arms apart, but there is a more delicate way. FSA designed this crank with a self extracting allen drive on the left crank arm. There is the M27 QR nut that screws over the M17 fixing screw (refer to install doc page 2). If you leave the QR nut in place on the crank arm and then start to remove the fixing screw, it will apply all of the torque aginst the QR nut and force the left crank arm off. You can then easily push the crank through the BB. I hope this helps future users.

fish156 said:
You know what? On second look at the doc I linked it's pretty obvious that once you have the non-drive side crank out that all you need to do is push the axle/crank assembly through. Yeh, I missed that. It's really a shame, Sydney, that you need to be such an ass to make your point. Besides making an ass out of yourself and showing what a bitter person you are, Sydney, just what, exactly, did you add to this thread? If the non-drive side crank was frozen, the tool I referenced would, in fact, be the the right one for his crankset.

clemnick said:
... it will apply all of the torque aginst the QR nut and force the left crank arm off. You can then easily push the crank through the BB. I hope this helps future users.

Thanks clemnick. Yes, that is the correct way to get the left crank arm off. However, just because you get the left (non-drive side) crank arm off, that doesn't guarantee that you can then "easily push the crank through the BB." Sometimes that can be a little "sticky," needing some gentle persuasion with the tap of a hammer. BTW, after a quick question to FSA tech support, they recommended a gentle hammer tap as well.

Cheers! - nojiri

Thinking that this was a fresh thread, I got a real surprise seeing the post from boudreaux in his typical form!

i've got virtually the same cranks (k-force). usually after removing the off side arm you can't simply push the spindle through. i use a rubber mallet to give the spindle a tap or two which gets it going then you can pull the drive side assembly through.

--brett