Renting a Bike and Riding in Chicago

Colin Campbell

Guest
I'll be visiting Chicago in mid-May. Does anyone know if there is a
good rental shop there? I'll be staying in the city center. Where can
I ride? Where can I find a Saturday club ride?

On Mar 16, 8:53 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'll be visiting Chicago in mid-May.  Does anyone know if there is a
> good rental shop there?  I'll be staying in the city center.  Where can
> I ride?  Where can I find a Saturday club ride?

http://www.teamjudson.com/route/route.htm
Judson ride is a big group ride; all the north shore riders hit it if
they aren't racing. Only about 35 minutes from downtown. You can ride
there no sweat.

http://www.ponyshop.com/
That shop doesn't rent bikes as far as I know, but call them and ask
if they know where you can rent a bike. The owner is a really good
guy.

As for where you can ride, you're minutes away from the lakefront
path, which is 18 miles from the north end to the south end near the
University of Chicago.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Mar 16, 8:53 pm, Colin Campbell <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'll be visiting Chicago in mid-May. Does anyone know if there is a
>> good rental shop there? I'll be staying in the city center. Where can
>> I ride? Where can I find a Saturday club ride?

> http://www.teamjudson.com/route/route.htm
> Judson ride is a big group ride; all the north shore riders hit it if
> they aren't racing. Only about 35 minutes from downtown. You can ride
> there no sweat.
>
> http://www.ponyshop.com/
> That shop doesn't rent bikes as far as I know, but call them and ask
> if they know where you can rent a bike. The owner is a really good
> guy.
>
> As for where you can ride, you're minutes away from the lakefront
> path, which is 18 miles from the north end to the south end near the
> University of Chicago.

Thanks for the info. I found a shop where I can rent a sub-$900 bike
(Lemond Etape or Trek 1000) for $60 / day. Not a bargain, but....

That shop referred me to Chicagoland Bicycle Foundation to locate clubs
/ rides. I e-mailed a couple of clubs concerning their Saturday rides.

And I'll keep the Judson ride in mind as well. I'd just be nervous
about getting dropped and knowing nothing about where I was. I suppose
I could just ride west until I hit Lake Michigan, then ride south to get
back to "civilization"....