Repairing Continental Olympic Tubular Tires

MJG

New Member
Jun 28, 2004
I managed to flat two of the most expensive tires known to mankind (hand-me-downs from a pro): 19mm Continental Olympics. Thorns did me in. Does anyone know if they can be repaired? The holes in the inner tubing are microscopic, but enough that they don't hold air. I saw in VN that tirealert.com does sewup repair, but it seems a bit dramatic...ripping apart the whole seam and replacing the base tape? Is there a patch method? Will any of these methods work with these stupid-light tires?

MJ

MJG asks anonymously:

> I managed to flat two of the most expensive tires known to
> mankind (hand-me-downs from a pro): 19mm Continental
> Olympics. Thorns did me in. Does anyone know if they can
> be repaired? The holes in the inner tubing are
> microscopic, but enough that they don't hold air. I saw in
> VN that tirealert.com does sewup repair, but it seems a
> bit dramatic...ripping apart the whole seam and replacing
> the base tape? Is there a patch method? Will any of these
> methods work with these stupid-light tires?

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.19.html
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8b.28.html

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

MJG <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I managed to flat two of the most expensive tires known
> to mankind
(hand-me-downs from a pro): 19mm Continental Olympics.
Thorns did me
in. Does anyone know if they can be repaired? The holes in
the inner tubing are microscopic, but enough that they
don't hold air. I saw in VN that tirealert.com does
sewup repair, but it seems a bit dramatic...ripping
apart the whole seam and replacing the base tape? Is
there a patch method? Will any of these methods work
with these stupid-light tires?

Before I went tearing into those tires I would try Tufo
sealant. It has worked for me to repair a couple of good
tires. If the holes are as small as you say, I would expect
that it will do the job for you. Mere coincidence or not,
those tires have not flatted since then, either.

JP

MJG-<< Thorns did me in. Does anyone know if they can be
repaired? The holes in the inner tubing are microscopic, but
enough that they don't hold air. I saw in VN that
tirealert.com does sewup repair, but it seems a bit
dramatic...ripping apart >><BR><BR>

Find the hole in water, pull the base tape off there, cut
the stitches, pull a little of the tube out, patch, stuff
back in and sew up, reglue the base tape with Fastac. I use
waxed dental floss and a chain or 'baseball' stitch.

Boulder, CO, 80302
costruite eccezionalmente bene"

Normally I would say that if you can't repair sew ups, you
shouldn't be riding them. But I won't.
#1....Don't put any goop into a tire that good.
#2....Excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Olympic a
# track tire.
#3....TireAlert.com does a fine job. About a month ago, I
# had a CX
that had failed at the valve. I normally fix them myself,
but this one needed a new tube. They did an excellent job,
including the base tape. A few years ago, they did a crappy
job of base tape glueing. Big improvement. They use a butyl
tube in all cases, and the tube doesn't have a removeable
valve core.

[email protected] (Bill K.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Normally I would say that if you can't repair sew ups, you
> shouldn't be riding them. But I won't.
> #1....Don't put any goop into a tire that good.

Why? Have you ever tried it? I have repaired a lot of
tubulars in my day, and I can tell you that in general
Tufo is a less intrusive way to do it. In this particular
case, with a small puncture it is almost certain to work
and may even provide protection against future flats. It
leaves the structure of the tire completely intact, and I
have yet to discover any downside to it. With a tubular it
is easily possible to develop a slow leak where you can
tear out half the stitching trying to find the leak,
because the air is escaping around the valve stem instead
of the point of the puncture.

The only thing worse than putting goop in a tire that good
is not putting goop in a tire that good.

JP

I've used the TUFO goop on a TUFO tire, and wasn't
completly satisfied. The tire was not balanced after I did
it, and still lost air slowly. The TUFO goop is a last
resort for a tire that you can't repair any other way. If
you're not able to repair a tubie, you'd be better off
sending it in to tire alert.

[email protected] (Bill K.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've used the TUFO goop on a TUFO tire, and wasn't
> completly satisfied. The tire was not balanced after I did
> it, and still lost air slowly.

The latex-tubed tires I repaired with Tufo actually lost air
*less* slowly with the Tufo than they did before the flat,
although they still need a daily topping up. And since
bicycle wheel/tube/tire systems are not balanced before you
add Tufo, I would not expect them to be balanced afterwards.
However, if you somehow noticed the difference you probably
used too much. I typically use 2 hypodermics (without the
needle) worth, which I believe equates to about 10cc.

> The TUFO goop is a last resort for a tire that you can't
> repair any other way.

No, it's a first resort- minimally invasive surgery.

> If you're not able to repair a tubie, you'd be better off
> sending it in to tire alert.

(Obviously not addressed to me personally since I have
already stated that I have repaired many tubular tires over
the years using the traditional approach.)If you don't mind
a butyl tube with a non-extractable valve core. That kind of
repair will permanently resolve the question of whether you
will ever use Tufo in the future on that tire or not, since
you have to remove the valve core to use Tufo (since ripping
open the tire to inject it through a hole in the tube kinda
defeats the purpose). And since I get fewer flats with latex
tubes I wouldn't recommend replacing them with butyl. (I
admit that this may be the result of the fact that better
tires tend to have latex tubes; however, lacking definitive
evidence one way or the other I will stick with and
recommend latex.)

JP

"I admit
> that this may be the result of the fact that better tires
> tend to have latex tubes; however, lacking definitive
> evidence one way or the other I will stick with and
> recommend latex.)"

I'm really not sure why Conti puts a butyl tube in their
Comps. You would think that they would try to save 30 grams
and use a latex tube in their top of the line road tire. As
I can only speak for myself, I would only use the Tufo goop
on a Tufo tire, since that the only way to repair them.
Normally on tubies, I'll just rip open two inches of
stiching to repair them. I recomend tirealert for when the
tube is ruined, or if you are afraid to open a tubie up. A
Conti Olympic is not a good tire to learn tubie repair. I
learned on Vittoria Criterium's and Conti Giro's. Cheap
tires that you don't cry over,if you screw them up.
Ps. Nowadays, I only race on tubies, so I don't get
many flats.