replace or renew?

ProfTournesol

Aug 22, 2003
for the first time ever I jammed by bike wheel in a tramline. Not to do things by halves, I have stuffed the wheel - the rim is dented and I now have uneven braking. As it is (was) a Campagnolo Proton, I can replace the rim, but the cost of replacing and rebuilding is the same as the replacement cost (considerable). Is there any advantage to a 'hand-made' wheel over a factory wheel?

If there is, any recommendations for wheel builders in Melbourne?

ProfTournesol said:
for the first time ever I jammed by bike wheel in a tramline. Not to do things by halves, I have stuffed the wheel - the rim is dented and I now have uneven braking. As it is (was) a Campagnolo Proton, I can replace the rim, but the cost of replacing and rebuilding is the same as the replacement cost (considerable). Is there any advantage to a 'hand-made' wheel over a factory wheel?

If there is, any recommendations for wheel builders in Melbourne?
FAQ FAQ FAQ -

Yes. You just answered your own question.

Proton = Sunday/race wheel. Concealed nipples. Incredible spoke tension.

Me. I build good wheels. 32 spoke Record/Chorus / DT 240 / hubs, Ambrosio Excellence / Mavic Open Pro / CXP 33 / DT RR 1 / Velocity Razor rims (take your pick), DT New Aero/Competition DB spokes, 2.5 hours, you have a maintainable pair of wheels. Keep the Protons for Beach Rd/crits.

Re-rim = approx. $150 (if you hit a cow/goat/truck/tramline/echidna)

You must be in Melbourne. So am I. Let me know if you are interested.

M"human tensiometer"H

mfhor wrote:

<lots of good stuff>

He's right. Good quality hubs + good quality rims + 32 good quality spokes + some care and attention to detail in assembly = wheel that goes for ever and ever.

A little linseed oil on the spoke nipples doesn't hurt, either :p

Regards,

Suzy (retro-grouch)

suzyj said:
mfhor wrote:

<lots of good stuff>

He's right. Good quality hubs + good quality rims + 32 good quality spokes + some care and attention to detail in assembly = wheel that goes for ever and ever.

Regards,

Suzy (retro-grouch)
Ok, Ok, Ok - so I have a teflon lube fetish. I do put linseed oil on the furniture I make, 'tho (fortified with a bit of Tung and Almond - Grandpa H's secret recipe. Hmm. I wonder if they would work on stainless . . . NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Get thee behind me, Satan!). ;)

M" vorsprung durch technik" H

suzyj said:
mfhor wrote:

<lots of good stuff>

Regards,

Suzy (retro-grouch)

Hubs = Ultegra (check)
Rims = CXP33 (check)
Spokes = 32x 14/15/14 DT (check) + Brass nipples (check)
Care and attention (errrm... check)

Linseed oil? I made do with some general purpose household oil (it had a nice squeeze bottle)

I might become a retrogrouch yet! :)

Ritch.

PS. Nice frame btw.

mfhor said:
FAQ FAQ FAQ -

Yes. You just answered your own question.

Proton = Sunday/race wheel. Concealed nipples. Incredible spoke tension.

Me. I build good wheels. 32 spoke Record/Chorus / DT 240 / hubs, Ambrosio Excellence / Mavic Open Pro / CXP 33 / DT RR 1 / Velocity Razor rims (take your pick), DT New Aero/Competition DB spokes, 2.5 hours, you have a maintainable pair of wheels. Keep the Protons for Beach Rd/crits.

Re-rim = approx. $150 (if you hit a cow/goat/truck/tramline/echidna)

You must be in Melbourne. So am I. Let me know if you are interested.

M"human tensiometer"H

I can't afford both (now) so maybe I get the wheel rebuilt and then buy a 'daily wheel' later?

ritcho said:
Hubs = Ultegra (check)
Rims = CXP33 (check)
Spokes = 32x 14/15/14 DT (check) + Brass nipples (check)
Care and attention (errrm... check)

Linseed oil? I made do with some general purpose household oil (it had a nice squeeze bottle)

I might become a retrogrouch yet! :)

Ritch.

PS. Nice frame btw.
Don't start that agin . . . ;)

M "stubborn thread" H

ProfTournesol said:
I can't afford both (now) so maybe I get the wheel rebuilt and then buy a 'daily wheel' later?
Why not get a pair built now, and rebuild your gee-whiz wheel later? BTW, was it a front or back?

MH

mfhor said:
Why not get a pair built now, and rebuild your gee-whiz wheel later? BTW, was it a front or back?

MH

front. I'm doing the Kosi to StKilda ride next month and want to do it on my nice wheel:)

ProfTournesol said:
front. I'm doing the Kosi to StKilda ride next month and want to do it on my nice wheel:)

if your desparate i gotta campag Atlanta front (and back) wheel sitting in the shed your welcome to borrow for your ride

PS you done that ride before. sounds like fun...

flyingdutch said:
if your desparate i gotta campag Atlanta front (and back) wheel sitting in the shed your welcome to borrow for your ride

PS you done that ride before. sounds like fun...

thanks. If I goota spend it, I'll do it now and hopefully the plastic will recover in time for the ride. I haven't done it before, it will be good practice for the Pyrenees in 2006:)

What is a Campag Atlanta?

ProfTournesol said:
thanks. If I goota spend it, I'll do it now and hopefully the plastic will recover in time for the ride. I haven't done it before, it will be good practice for the Pyrenees in 2006:)

What is a Campag Atlanta?

Deep section wheels. basically a 32spoke version of the shamals

flyingdutch said:
Deep section wheels. basically a 32spoke version of the shamals
I know they'll look a bit dicky, but any front wheel will work OK for the time being - who quoted you the exorbitant price on repair?

I re-rimmed a Ksyrium Elite (the steel-spoked one) recently - spokes are OK, reused the nipple eyelets (they screw out on the Ksyriums) the rim cost approx. $180 retail, the rebuild took about 2 hrs, go to whoa. about $210 all up.

The Campag wholesalers will supply rims to reputable bike shops (in one of which I hope I can claim employment), and if you've twisted or dented, rather than buckled the rim, the spokes will probably be OK, being straight-pull and all. Bank on about the same price, or a little higher.

M "subatomic particles should be stronger than that" H