Replacement for Selle San Marco Turbo?

Claus Assmann

Guest
What would be the "closest" new saddle (with respect to the shape)
to a Selle San Marco Turbo? Actually I'm not even 100% sure that
the old saddle is the "Turbo": it's the saddle that was on my Bianchi
when I bought it about 20 years ago (and I transferred it 10 years
ago to the next bike). The saddle only says "Bianchi" on the back
and it has been damaged in the last crash. I've been told Selle
Italia Flite would be very close, but so far that saddle (which I
have for a few weeks now) doesn't fit me so well.

Any other suggestions for a (light-weight) saddle that would come
close in shape/fit? I also tried Fizik Aliante and Arione, but both
are worse for me than the Flite(s).

On May 4, 8:00 pm, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> What would be the "closest" new saddle (with respect to the shape)
> to a Selle San Marco Turbo? Actually I'm not even 100% sure that
> the old saddle is the "Turbo": it's the saddle that was on my Bianchi
> when I bought it about 20 years ago (and I transferred it 10 years
> ago to the next bike). The saddle only says "Bianchi" on the back
> and it has been damaged in the last crash. I've been told Selle
> Italia Flite would be very close, but so far that saddle (which I
> have for a few weeks now) doesn't fit me so well.

Yeah, I rode a Flight for a few months last year, but it didn't work
out either. It *almost* fit, but on long rides it just wasn't the
right shape. A San Marco Rolls is a real classic and would be the
appropriate style for your bike's vintage. Super comfy too. No
nonsense shape. About $50 for steel rails and $75 for ti. It's very
firm in a good way, firmer than the Flite I rode for sure, but more
supportive if that makes sense. The nylon shell does most of the shock
absorption.

Check out the reviews at roadbikereview.com:
http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/controls/saddles/san-marco/PRD_291962_2509crx.aspx

Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> What would be the "closest" new saddle (with respect to the shape)
> to a Selle San Marco Turbo? Actually I'm not even 100% sure that
> the old saddle is the "Turbo": it's the saddle that was on my
> Bianchi when I bought it about 20 years ago (and I transferred it

Hm, looked at ebay? We might have a Bianchi in the local workshop,
but Bianchi probably did a lot of OEM...

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

landotter wrote:
> On May 4, 8:00 pm, Claus Assmann

> > What would be the "closest" new saddle (with respect to the shape)
> > to a Selle San Marco Turbo? Actually I'm not even 100% sure that

> right shape. A San Marco Rolls is a real classic and would be the
> appropriate style for your bike's vintage. Super comfy too. No

Sorry, I have to clarify a few things:
1. It's not a Selle San Marco, but a Selle Italia (at least
according to some WWW pages I finally found).
2. I have two of those Bianchi saddles (both in use) and one
"Turbo" (which seems to be broken and repaired, I got it used).
3. I'm looking for a new, light-weight saddle for my new bike
(another 10 years are over, so I bought a new racing bike,
which is really light, so I don't want to put a 310g saddle on it).

Any other suggestions? TIA!

Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> 3. I'm looking for a new, light-weight saddle for my new bike
> (another 10 years are over, so I bought a new racing bike, which
> is really light, so I don't want to put a 310g saddle on it).

Ah, ok, that does make a difference 8)

Sorry, I'm doing fine with Regal and Flite.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer

On May 6, 12:24 am, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > On May 4, 8:00 pm, Claus Assmann
> > > What would be the "closest" new saddle (with respect to the shape)
> > > to a Selle San Marco Turbo? Actually I'm not even 100% sure that

> > right shape. A San Marco Rolls is a real classic and would be the
> > appropriate style for your bike's vintage. Super comfy too. No

> Sorry, I have to clarify a few things:
> 1. It's not a Selle San Marco, but a Selle Italia (at least
> according to some WWW pages I finally found).
> 2. I have two of those Bianchi saddles (both in use) and one
> "Turbo" (which seems to be broken and repaired, I got it used).
> 3. I'm looking for a new, light-weight saddle for my new bike
> (another 10 years are over, so I bought a new racing bike,
> which is really light, so I don't want to put a 310g saddle on it).

Why not? 310g is very light for a saddle. Do you have some sort of
obsessive-compulsive disorder? It's apparently good enough for pros to
race in the TD, so what's you're problem? Now, go wash your hands
thirteen times and make sure to take the exact number of steps both to
and from the internet terminal you're using, or else.

Just for the archives in case someone else is trying to find a
replacement for a Selle Italia Turbo:

1. Selle San Marco Concor (closest match IMHO).
2. WTB Rocket V (suprisingly similar).

On May 6, 1:24 am, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> landotter wrote:
> > On May 4, 8:00 pm, Claus Assmann
> > > What would be the "closest" new saddle (with respect to the shape)
> > > to a Selle San Marco Turbo? Actually I'm not even 100% sure that

> > right shape. A San Marco Rolls is a real classic and would be the
> > appropriate style for your bike's vintage. Super comfy too. No

> Sorry, I have to clarify a few things:
> 1. It's not a Selle San Marco, but a Selle Italia (at least
> according to some WWW pages I finally found).
> 2. I have two of those Bianchi saddles (both in use) and one
> "Turbo" (which seems to be broken and repaired, I got it used).
> 3. I'm looking for a new, light-weight saddle for my new bike
> (another 10 years are over, so I bought a new racing bike,
> which is really light, so I don't want to put a 310g saddle on it).
>
> Any other suggestions? TIA!

The Selle Italia Turbo was replaced with the TurboMatic. I ride this
one. The saddle has the original shape, but is suspended on 3 firm
rubber mounts to absorb road shock. This saddle went through 4
iterations, from the original TurboMatic to the Turbomatic II, III,
and IV. Some models have gel pads and synthetic fabric covers, but all
were also manufactured with a smooth leather cover over regular foam
padding and a nylon shell. I believe this model is now discontinued,
but several top European pros still ride them. Try ebay.