replacement rear shock question - Cane Creek AD8

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ellis, Aug 6, 2003.

  1. Ellis

    Ellis Guest

    Hi guys -

    I have a '96 Jamis Dakar Team (15") that came with a Cane Creek AD-8 rear shock, which has a blown
    seal (must be, air keeps leaking out). AD-8 is no longer in production. What will it involve for me
    to switch out that shock for something newer? I mean, will a new AD-12 fit the frame, or will a new
    Fox Float R, and if so, what size (6.0 x 1.25, 6.5 x 1.5, 7.875 x 2.)? Can I just measure the Eye to
    Eye length and go from there?

    I am an old fashioned hardtail rider, so all this rear shock stuff is pretty new to me. Thanks for
    any advice in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Super Slinky

    Super Slinky Guest

    ellis said...

    > Hi guys -
    >
    > I have a '96 Jamis Dakar Team (15") that came with a Cane Creek AD-8 rear shock, which has a blown
    > seal (must be, air keeps leaking out). AD-8 is no longer in production. What will it involve for
    > me to switch out that shock for something newer? I mean, will a new AD-12 fit the frame, or will a
    > new Fox Float R, and if so, what size (6.0 x 1.25, 6.5 x 1.5, 7.875 x 2.)? Can I just measure the
    > Eye to Eye length and go from there?
    >
    > I am an old fashioned hardtail rider, so all this rear shock stuff is pretty new to me. Thanks for
    > any advice in advance.

    Cane Creek has an extensive compatibility list on their web site. Most likely your Jamis is on
    there. If not, then there is a worksheet you can fill out describing your shock in minute detail
    (eye to eye length, orientation, etc) which will determine if they make something that will work.

  3. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    "ellis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi guys -
    >
    > I have a '96 Jamis Dakar Team (15") that came with a Cane Creek AD-8 rear shock, which has a blown
    > seal (must be, air keeps leaking out). AD-8 is
    no
    > longer in production. What will it involve for me to switch out that
    shock
    > for something newer? I mean, will a new AD-12 fit the frame, or will a
    new
    > Fox Float R, and if so, what size (6.0 x 1.25, 6.5 x 1.5, 7.875 x 2.)?
    Can
    > I just measure the Eye to Eye length and go from there?
    >
    > I am an old fashioned hardtail rider, so all this rear shock stuff is
    pretty
    > new to me. Thanks for any advice in advance.

    Upgrade your shock to a Fox model, just make sure it's the right size, Jamis has a spec chart on
    it's website.

    Jamis Comp..

  4. Barn Barn

    Barn Barn Guest

    You got it ... eye centre to eye centre uncompressed and away you go. Ya fox kicks ass. Barn Barn