Replacing Headset on Specialized Allez

leegregory

Aug 12, 2004
Hi all.

Just need some advice before i go out and buy a new Headset. I currently have a Selcoff Aheadset that needs replacing, i just need some advice on good brands to consider and also is it worth doing my self rather than the LBS (they Quoted me £10 and 2 days). It doesn't look over complicated but are there any special tools i would need to remove the old and install the new?

Thanks in advance.

leegregory said:
Hi all.

Just need some advice before i go out and buy a new Headset. I currently have a Selcoff Aheadset that needs replacing, i just need some advice on good brands to consider and also is it worth doing my self rather than the LBS (they Quoted me £10 and 2 days). It doesn't look over complicated but are there any special tools i would need to remove the old and install the new?

Thanks in advance.
If you have to ask, you are better off to have the LBS do it. The complete drill is in the repair section at www.parktool.com

leegregory said:
Hi all.

Thanks in advance.

Replacing a headset is not difficult if you know what you're doing. It's really just a matter or removing and installing the bearing races. I'd check-out that link that boudreaux provided.

If you want to get a headset that you can install and not have to worry about, I'd recommend a Chris King. They're a bit spendy and there are other good headsets on the market but they're really nice.