Replacing Hub in Rolf Vector Comp

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Larry Gray, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. Larry Gray

    Larry Gray Guest

    Hello,
    Is it possible to change the hub in a Rolf Vector Comp yourself? I've
    read somewhere that Rolf used a special machine to properly tension the
    spokes by flexing the rim. Has anyone replaced a Rolf hub? If so, do you
    need any special tools, other than the truing stand? Do you need a
    tensiometer?

    Thanks in Advance,
    Larry

    Tags:

  2. Larry Gray wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Is it possible to change the hub in a Rolf Vector Comp yourself? I've
    > read somewhere that Rolf used a special machine to properly tension the
    > spokes by flexing the rim. Has anyone replaced a Rolf hub? If so, do you
    > need any special tools, other than the truing stand? Do you need a
    > tensiometer?
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    > Larry

    Yes, it's possible to replace the hub yourself. The "special machine"
    is Rolf's "Stressor Box", many Trek dealers have one. It's not for
    tensioning the spokes, but for stress relief after the wheel's built.

    The truing stand makes it easy, but it's not really needed. You can use
    your bike frame instead.

    A tension meter is nice to have (I aim for 100 kgf on the right side
    spokes and even tension on the left), but also not necessary if you
    already have a good wheel. I used my digital camera to make a 30 second
    "movie", with sound, of me plucking the spokes, so I wouldn't have to
    remember the tone. ;-) Then I tensioned the rebuilt wheel to the same
    tone.

    The stressor box is great to give the spokes longer life. Some say you
    can squeeze to stress relieve, but with so few and bladed spokes it's
    not as easy, and the stressor box is calibrated which should avoid
    over-stressing while achieving the greatest margin in spoke life.

    If I were you I'd go for it! :)

    Just curious, why would you want to replace the hub? Were you able to
    get just a new hub alone?