Replacing Hub in Rolf Vector Comp

Larry Gray

Guest
Hello,
Is it possible to change the hub in a Rolf Vector Comp yourself? I've
read somewhere that Rolf used a special machine to properly tension the
spokes by flexing the rim. Has anyone replaced a Rolf hub? If so, do you
need any special tools, other than the truing stand? Do you need a
tensiometer?

Thanks in Advance,
Larry

Larry Gray wrote:
> Hello,
> Is it possible to change the hub in a Rolf Vector Comp yourself? I've
> read somewhere that Rolf used a special machine to properly tension the
> spokes by flexing the rim. Has anyone replaced a Rolf hub? If so, do you
> need any special tools, other than the truing stand? Do you need a
> tensiometer?
>
> Thanks in Advance,
> Larry

Yes, it's possible to replace the hub yourself. The "special machine"
is Rolf's "Stressor Box", many Trek dealers have one. It's not for
tensioning the spokes, but for stress relief after the wheel's built.

The truing stand makes it easy, but it's not really needed. You can use
your bike frame instead.

A tension meter is nice to have (I aim for 100 kgf on the right side
spokes and even tension on the left), but also not necessary if you
already have a good wheel. I used my digital camera to make a 30 second
"movie", with sound, of me plucking the spokes, so I wouldn't have to
remember the tone. ;-) Then I tensioned the rebuilt wheel to the same
tone.

The stressor box is great to give the spokes longer life. Some say you
can squeeze to stress relieve, but with so few and bladed spokes it's
not as easy, and the stressor box is calibrated which should avoid
over-stressing while achieving the greatest margin in spoke life.

If I were you I'd go for it! :)

Just curious, why would you want to replace the hub? Were you able to
get just a new hub alone?