Req: Soft dinner rolls

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 10:08:32a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?

> Arri London wrote:
>> TY! They sound good. Much more sugar than the recipes we've already
>> tried.
>>

> Surprisingly, the rolls don't taste sweet.
>
> Jill

For that type of roll and the amount of flour, I don't consider that a *lot*
of sugar. I'm anxious to try the recipe.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

On 22 Jan 2006 18:48:00 +0100, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sun 22 Jan 2006 10:08:32a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it jmcquown?
>
> > Arri London wrote:
> >> TY! They sound good. Much more sugar than the recipes we've already
> >> tried.
> >>

> > Surprisingly, the rolls don't taste sweet.
> >
> > Jill

> For that type of roll and the amount of flour, I don't consider that a *lot*
> of sugar. I'm anxious to try the recipe.

I use a lot (don't measure but it's approx the same amount) of honey
in mine and they aren't *sweet* either. They are a popular request
when I ask what I should bring.

Dee Randall wrote:

> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> My grandmother made bread once a week. (They grew and ground their own
> wheat.) One pan made that day and eaten that day was soft rolls, sky high
> over the square pan. You broke them apart, still warm, and they were
> probably as soft as a Wonderbread; however just about as tasty as you can
> get. She never let me get near her in the kitchen, so I have no idea how
> they were made, but the bread and rolls every week came from the same
> recipe -- in her head. I would venture to say that there was milk (from the
> cows) and butter (churned from the milk). She used cake yeast.
> I believe it is possible to make a roll of this kind today. I've seen a
> recipe similar in a WV Hillbilly or White Trash Cooking type of cookbook;
> but if you look around, I'll bet you can find a soft bread receipe that you
> can make into soft rolls.
> Dee Dee

TY! I too make a lot of bread. It should be possible to make soft rolls
too LOL. None of my usual bread types are meant to be soft so still
looking at recipes.

jmcquown wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> > TY! They sound good. Much more sugar than the recipes we've already
> > tried.
> >

> Surprisingly, the rolls don't taste sweet.
>
> Jill

LOL that's always relative of course. But will try the recipe anyway :D

Curly Sue wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:12:18 -0700, Arri London <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
> >Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
> >rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
> >
> >My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
> >poss LOL.
> >
> >TIA

> Look for recipes with egg, and/or shortening. I haven't tried Crisco
> but I heard it works well for soft and fluffy. Milk helps too. Brush
> the tops with butter before baking. Put the rolls fairly close
> together so they merge while baking.
>
> Sue(tm)

Will try to avoid Crisco unless absolutely necessary. Did brush the tops
of the last batch with butter and had the rolls touching too. Still too
bready.

Arri London wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Arri London wrote:
>>> TY! They sound good. Much more sugar than the recipes we've already
>>> tried.
>>>

>> Surprisingly, the rolls don't taste sweet.
>>
>> Jill

> LOL that's always relative of course. But will try the recipe anyway
> :D

Considering I don't like sweet-tasting stuff, you can pretty much guarantee
they aren't sweet.

Jill

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:50:25 -0700, Arri London <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:

>> Look for recipes with egg, and/or shortening. I haven't tried Crisco
>> but I heard it works well for soft and fluffy. Milk helps too. Brush
>> the tops with butter before baking. Put the rolls fairly close
>> together so they merge while baking.
>>
>> Sue(tm)

>Will try to avoid Crisco unless absolutely necessary. Did brush the tops
>of the last batch with butter and had the rolls touching too. Still too
>bready.

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it looks good to me. I found it
at the Saveur site, via the KQED foodblog. The person in the foodblog
made them, and she says she reduced the sugar to about 1/2 cup and it
seemed to work for her.

http://www.saveur.com/article.jsp?ID=5446&typeID=120

Christine

Arri London wrote:
> Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
> Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
> rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
>
> My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
> poss LOL.
>
> TIA

My Better Homes & Gardens Brioche recipe turns out light and fluffy (3
risings). For 12 regular-sized dinner rolls, there would be 3 eggs
plus 1 yolk, 1/3 C. sugar, and 1/2 C. butter. It's pretty rich. I
don't have the exact recipe with me, sorry. Maybe you can Google it.

N.

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:50:25 -0700, Arri London <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> >Curly Sue wrote:

> >> Look for recipes with egg, and/or shortening. I haven't tried Crisco
> >> but I heard it works well for soft and fluffy. Milk helps too. Brush
> >> the tops with butter before baking. Put the rolls fairly close
> >> together so they merge while baking.
> >>
> >> Sue(tm)

> >Will try to avoid Crisco unless absolutely necessary. Did brush the tops
> >of the last batch with butter and had the rolls touching too. Still too
> >bready.

> I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it looks good to me. I found it
> at the Saveur site, via the KQED foodblog. The person in the foodblog
> made them, and she says she reduced the sugar to about 1/2 cup and it
> seemed to work for her.
>
> http://www.saveur.com/article.jsp?ID=5446&typeID=120
>
> Christine

TY. I always cut down the amount of sugar in most bread-related recipes.

Nancy1 wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> > Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
> > Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
> > rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
> >
> > My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
> > poss LOL.
> >
> > TIA

> My Better Homes & Gardens Brioche recipe turns out light and fluffy (3
> risings). For 12 regular-sized dinner rolls, there would be 3 eggs
> plus 1 yolk, 1/3 C. sugar, and 1/2 C. butter. It's pretty rich. I
> don't have the exact recipe with me, sorry. Maybe you can Google it.
>
> N.

TY. Have several French brioche recipes. They are good but not the
fluffy air-headed rolls I'm trying to make.

Arri London wrote:
> Nancy1 wrote:
> >
> > Arri London wrote:
> > > Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
> > > Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
> > > rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
> > >
> > > My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
> > > poss LOL.
> > >
> > > TIA

> > My Better Homes & Gardens Brioche recipe turns out light and fluffy (3
> > risings). For 12 regular-sized dinner rolls, there would be 3 eggs
> > plus 1 yolk, 1/3 C. sugar, and 1/2 C. butter. It's pretty rich. I
> > don't have the exact recipe with me, sorry. Maybe you can Google it.
> >
> > N.

> TY. Have several French brioche recipes. They are good but not the
> fluffy air-headed rolls I'm trying to make.

I don't know about your recipes, but what I said was, my BH & G recipe
turned out very fluffy rolls.

My grandmother used to make a dinner roll with a Fleischman yeast
recipe - they were always wonderful. Maybe you could find that recipe.
Really, it's not rocket science. There are probably millions of
dinner roll recipes on the web. I love my BH & G bread book (c. 1963)
- sweet roll dough or not, Parker House, Butterflake - it's got them
all.

N.

Nancy1 wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> > Nancy1 wrote:

> > > My Better Homes & Gardens Brioche recipe turns out light and fluffy (3
> > > risings). For 12 regular-sized dinner rolls, there would be 3 eggs
> > > plus 1 yolk, 1/3 C. sugar, and 1/2 C. butter. It's pretty rich. I
> > > don't have the exact recipe with me, sorry. Maybe you can Google it.
> > >
> > > N.

> > TY. Have several French brioche recipes. They are good but not the
> > fluffy air-headed rolls I'm trying to make.

> I don't know about your recipes, but what I said was, my BH & G recipe
> turned out very fluffy rolls.
>
> My grandmother used to make a dinner roll with a Fleischman yeast
> recipe - they were always wonderful. Maybe you could find that recipe.
> Really, it's not rocket science. There are probably millions of
> dinner roll recipes on the web. I love my BH & G bread book (c. 1963)
> - sweet roll dough or not, Parker House, Butterflake - it's got them
> all.
>
> N.

Have tried many dinner roll recipes. They really are too bready. Need
the soft flossy sort LOL.

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
> Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
> rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
>
> My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
> poss LOL.
>
> TIA

============

Yes!

7 1/2 oz warm water
3 1/2 - 4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
3 1/2 TBSP sugar
2 TBSP powdered coffee creamer
3 TBSP butter
2 tsp dry instant yeast

I do this in my bread machine on the "dough" setting. Remove and
refrigerate overnite. Remove and shape as desired, let rise until doubled,
brush with melted butter just before and immediately after baking.

--
Syssi

Syssi wrote:

> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
> > Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
> > rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
> >
> > My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
> > poss LOL.
> >
> > TIA

> ============
>
> Yes!
>
> 7 1/2 oz warm water
> 3 1/2 - 4 cups all purpose flour
> 3/4 tsp. salt
> 3 1/2 TBSP sugar
> 2 TBSP powdered coffee creamer
> 3 TBSP butter
> 2 tsp dry instant yeast
>
> I do this in my bread machine on the "dough" setting. Remove and
> refrigerate overnite. Remove and shape as desired, let rise until doubled,
> brush with melted butter just before and immediately after baking.
>
> --
> Syssi

TY! What is the powdered coffee creamer for? It's not something we'd
ever have in the house.

"Arri London" <& Syssi wrote:

>> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Anyone have a tried and true recipe for those very soft dinner rolls?
>> > Have tried a few recipes from the cookbooks we have inherited but the
>> > rolls are just too 'bready' instead of soft and fluffy.
>> >
>> > My mother likes them and I'm trying to get as many calories into her as
>> > poss LOL.
>> >
>> > TIA

>> ============
>>
>> Yes!
>>
>> 7 1/2 oz warm water
>> 3 1/2 - 4 cups all purpose flour
>> 3/4 tsp. salt
>> 3 1/2 TBSP sugar
>> 2 TBSP powdered coffee creamer
>> 3 TBSP butter
>> 2 tsp dry instant yeast
>>
>> I do this in my bread machine on the "dough" setting. Remove and
>> refrigerate overnite. Remove and shape as desired, let rise until
>> doubled,
>> brush with melted butter just before and immediately after baking.
>>
>> --
>> Syssi

> TY! What is the powdered coffee creamer for? It's not something we'd
> ever have in the house.

============

The original recipe called for instant milk powder... well, I was out of it
one day but had recently purchased some coffee creamer to put in my homemade
recipe for Chai tea... I decided to try it and haven't stopped using it
since. I suppose you could even use milk instead of water and skip the
creamer/milk powder altogether but... well... I'm a creature of habit and
LOVE this recipe as is.

I'm sure the bread would still come out very lovely without the creamer.

--
Syssi

Syssi wrote:

> "Arri London" <& Syssi wrote:
> >>
> >> "Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> ============
> >>
> >> Yes!
> >>
> >> 7 1/2 oz warm water
> >> 3 1/2 - 4 cups all purpose flour
> >> 3/4 tsp. salt
> >> 3 1/2 TBSP sugar
> >> 2 TBSP powdered coffee creamer
> >> 3 TBSP butter
> >> 2 tsp dry instant yeast
> >>
> >> I do this in my bread machine on the "dough" setting. Remove and
> >> refrigerate overnite. Remove and shape as desired, let rise until
> >> doubled,
> >> brush with melted butter just before and immediately after baking.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Syssi

> > TY! What is the powdered coffee creamer for? It's not something we'd
> > ever have in the house.

> ============
>
> The original recipe called for instant milk powder... well, I was out of it
> one day but had recently purchased some coffee creamer to put in my homemade
> recipe for Chai tea... I decided to try it and haven't stopped using it
> since. I suppose you could even use milk instead of water and skip the
> creamer/milk powder altogether but... well... I'm a creature of habit and
> LOVE this recipe as is.
>
> I'm sure the bread would still come out very lovely without the creamer.
>
> --
> Syssi

OK ty. We do make bread machine bread with milk but it doesn't have the
texture of the soft dinner rolls.

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Syssi wrote:

>> > TY! What is the powdered coffee creamer for? It's not something we'd
>> > ever have in the house.

>> ============
>>
>> The original recipe called for instant milk powder... well, I was out of
>> it
>> one day but had recently purchased some coffee creamer to put in my
>> homemade
>> recipe for Chai tea... I decided to try it and haven't stopped using it
>> since. I suppose you could even use milk instead of water and skip the
>> creamer/milk powder altogether but... well... I'm a creature of habit and
>> LOVE this recipe as is.
>>
>> I'm sure the bread would still come out very lovely without the creamer.
>>
>> --
>> Syssi

> OK ty. We do make bread machine bread with milk but it doesn't have the
> texture of the soft dinner rolls.

Hmmm... Well, these are soft and I think part of the reason is that they
are refrigerated overnight. <shrug>

--
Syssi