Resting heart rate and donating blood

li rider

Oct 11, 2004
To qualify to donate blood, the screening rule requires that your heart rate be above 50 bpm. Since it is not unusual for trained cyclists to have a resting heart rate in the 40s, I was curious if any of you have been turned down when you went to donate blood because your heart rate was too low.

li rider said:
To qualify to donate blood, the screening rule requires that your heart rate be above 50 bpm. Since it is not unusual for trained cyclists to have a resting heart rate in the 40s, I was curious if any of you have been turned down when you went to donate blood because your heart rate was too low.
Interesting. I had not heard that. I plan on donating blood soon, to coincide with a lull in training and racing. But maybe that won't happen now. Just sitting relaxed, I can get my resting heart rate to 42 bpm.

I guess I'll find out next week.

li rider said:
It's true, but I've always been allowed to do a few jumping jacks or jog around the block and get re-tested. BTW, I always do apheresis donations - platelets and plasma - which takes longer but doesn't have any impact on my training.

My husband donates blood during the off season and he has an extremely low resting rate - can get into the 30's - even the upper 20's when he is truely resting. They've questioned his hr, but they've never stopped him from donating.

li rider said:
The American Red Cross has an exception to this rule for people who exercise 5 times a week or more. If they give you a hard time about it tell them to look for that exception. I've had to point out that exception to the same lady a couple of times. It just isn't common for them to find people with low heart rates who are willing to part with their blood. She had to look it up in their computer because it isn't in the packet they give you when you first walk in.

If you also have low blood pressure, though, you're out of luck.

You are up and about when you walk in to donate so your resting heart really isn't resting at that point. I was 58 BPM yesterday when I donated. They always ask me if I work out. And I always say sort of.:rolleyes:

Dan

I am a part time cyclist, and I had this problem this morning. In fact, I came across this site looking for this info.

I have recently lost almost 40 pounds in the last three months. I donate blood every eight weeks, but I was turned away because my heart rate was between 44 bpm and 47 bpm after three checks. The blood bank said the minimum heart rate was 50 bpm. I left a bit disappointed but also a bit proud of my progress healthwise.