Result of eating more beans

"Bob Pastorio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tim Tyler wrote:

have

'bowel

> >>Very interesting. Hard to believe. The music maker in beans is a family of compounds called
> >>"oligosaccharides" which we can't digest no matter how hard we try. We have no means to break
> >>them down to simpler sugars. No enzymes. The only way is to add them to our foods, as in using
> >>the product called "Beano."
> >>
> >>If you've found a way to do that, you're the first human in history to do so. Boiling beans with
> >>sugar is not a broadly-used way of cooking
them.

> > Cooking reduces the oligosaccharide content, though - e.g.:
> >
> > http://ift.confex.com/ift/2001/techprogram/paper_8808.htm
>
> It may well reduce the level somewhat, but it certainly doesn't bring it anywhere near enough to
> discount the effects. But every little bit helps, right?
>
> "Some" ain't necessarily "enough."
>
> Pastorio

Well, Bob your opponents have produced quotes so how about you? Will you provide a quote or
a citation?

A man with no bones or beans in the argument.............
........................................................William A. Noyes

William A. Noyes wrote:

> "Bob Pastorio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Tim Tyler wrote:

> > personal observation may be of interest...

> > have remained the same. Noticed I don't get that drowsy 'low blood sugar' effect an hour or 2
> > after I've eaten. More importantly, my weight has dropped 12% without 'dieting'. As I said this
> > is very anecdotal but may be of interest to some.

> > 'bowel distress' problem folks associate with beans.

> > them.
>
>>>Cooking reduces the oligosaccharide content, though - e.g.:
>>>
>>>http://ift.confex.com/ift/2001/techprogram/paper_8808.htm
>>
>>It may well reduce the level somewhat, but it certainly doesn't bring it anywhere near enough to
>>discount the effects. But every little bit helps, right?
>>
>>"Some" ain't necessarily "enough."
>>
>>Pastorio
>
> Well, Bob your opponents have produced quotes so how about you? Will you provide a quote or a
> citation?

I'm not sure what quotes you want. The fact that most people find beans gassy surely can't be in
dispute. There are songs and rhymes about it. The generally used culinary methods involve boiling
them. But people still comment on gassiness from beans.

The biochemical questions are well-understood and documented. Oligosaccharides are the compounds
that cause the gas because they're digested by our intestinal flora that produce gases as byproducts
of that metabolism.

I did provide references earlier in this thread, most notably Russ Parsons (food writer for the
LATimes who did a lot of culinary and scientific research on the subject and has written about it a
good bit).

Read "On Food and Cooking" by Harold McGee. He deals with the science of it all rather fully.
There's too much to quote in depth, but here are some bits:

"...the oligosaccharides leave the upper intestine unchanged ann enter the lower reaches in a
form that the body cannot absorb. Here the large intestinal population does the job we are unable
to do, in the process giving off various gases, primarily carbon dioxide, as waste products. It
is this sudden increase in bacterial metabolism, cause by by the arrival of a food supply
available to the bacteria alone and requiring some digestive action, that results in flatulence
after eating legumes."

"... both cooking in water and sprouting will decrease the absolute amount of oligosaccharides in
individual seeds."

He also says that cooking the beans in a lot of water and adding a lot of baking soda will reduce
the level of oligosaccharides, but at the expense of loss of carbs, protein and hemicellulose (cell
walls) which would result in a tasteless, mushy dish.

Pastorio

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Bob) wrote:

> "Ropingirl" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Mirek ~

Gzboli comments: "Beans, beans -- the musical fruit - The more I eat the more I toot. The more I
toot the better I feel; So I have beans for every meal!"

--
Find Dzogvi Gzboli in www.google.com

Hola,

I guess it depends on how frequent do you eat beans. As a Hispanic girl I grew up with rice and
beans. We ate beans aprox 2-4 days a week, so I guess that your body gets used to the fiber because
I did not have gas problems.

Now that I've been doing LC for three months it will be interesting to see the effects :)

Yazaira Member since Oct 03
265/247/154 http://plaza.ufl.edu/yazaira/dieta/

>Subject: Result of eating more beans From: " MetroPed" [email protected] Date: 12/3/2003
>6:38 AM Mountain Standard Time Message-id: <[email protected]>
>
>To whom it may concern, I realize this is very anecdotal but this personal observation may be of
>interest...
>
>For about the last year I've significantly increased the percentage of 'beans and lentils' in my
>diet. Overall calorie intake and exercise have remained the same. Noticed I don't get that drowsy
>'low blood sugar' effect an hour or 2 after I've eaten. More importantly, my weight has dropped 12%
>without 'dieting'. As I said this is very anecdotal but may be of interest to some.
>
>Note 1: I'm boiling dry beans with no sugar added. Note 2: Also noticed that after about 2 month I
>no longer had that 'bowel distress' problem folks associate with beans.
>
>Bob
>--
>_______________________________
>Robert Brubaker, Director Metroped Inc.
>P.O. Box 7244 Alexandria, VA. 22307 Phone: 1-267-295-1035 E-Mail: [email protected]
> Internet: www.metroped.org

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/12/031205053236.htm

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

"William A. Noyes" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

<snipped>

> Well, Bob your opponents have produced quotes so how about you? Will you provide a quote or a
> citation?

Just when I thought that soaking and rinsing might be the solution, after hearing Mis Vickie say
"Beans are protein, and pound for pound they are equal to a good cut of meat,"....., I have lost ALL
hope to break down *that* compound so that I can start eating beans and reduce meat intake.

I do not want to spend life time trying to get used to *it*. I need a solution....now.

Can anyone share please? No..not the story .. "I grew up eating beans and I have no gas problem". I
want to hear from people who didn't grow up eating beans and how they manage to remove that problem,
if they are able to remove that problem. In the mean time, I am eating beef (hate chicken except
cornish hen).

amanda wrote:
> Can anyone share please? No..not the story .. "I grew up eating beans and I have no gas problem".
> I want to hear from people who didn't grow up eating beans and how they manage to remove that
> problem, if they are able to remove that problem. In the mean time, I am eating beef (hate chicken
> except cornish hen).

I have heard that the problem lessens as your body "gets used to it."

Then there's this stuff called Bean-O

--
Wes Groleau Can we afford to be relevant? http://www.cetesol.org/stevick.html

"amanda" <[email protected]> wrote
> I do not want to spend life time trying to get used to *it*. I need a solution....now.
>
> Can anyone share please? No..not the story .. "I grew up eating beans and I have no gas problem".
> I want to hear from people who didn't grow up eating beans and how they manage to remove that
> problem, if they are able to remove that problem. In the mean time, I am eating beef (hate chicken
> except cornish hen).

Stick with the less 'beany' varieties: Split pea, lentil, mung, adzuki, field pea (the little
brown ones).

Soak 24 hours *and* sprout 1-3 days (rinse 2-3 times per day) before cooking. They will not require
much cooking time. Don't try to sprout split peas, though-- for sprouting dried peas, you will need
the whole ones, which are hard to find outside of ethnic grocery stores.

Try it with lentils first--they are easiest and quickest. You should have a cute little shoot the
day after soaking.

This should elminate the problem.

The one thing which my wife hates more than what happens to me, and our girls, is the ditty they
sing, and have taught to their children, which I originally received from my father more than 50
years ago. He received it from his father.

Beans beans are good for your heart, the more you eat the more you F##t. The more you F##t the
better you feel, so eat some beans with every meal.

Sorry folks, it brought back warm and fuzzy feelings.

amanda wrote:

> Just when I thought that soaking and rinsing might be the solution, after hearing Mis Vickie say
> "Beans are protein, and pound for pound they are equal to a good cut of meat,"....., I have lost
> ALL hope to break down *that* compound so that I can start eating beans and reduce meat intake.
>
> I do not want to spend life time trying to get used to *it*. I need a solution....now.
>
> Can anyone share please? No..not the story .. "I grew up eating beans and I have no gas problem".
> I want to hear from people who didn't grow up eating beans and how they manage to remove that
> problem, if they are able to remove that problem. In the mean time, I am eating beef (hate chicken
> except cornish hen).

Beano will get rid of the gas. But what it means is that you'll be metabolizing the
oligosaccharide carbs.

Sprouting the beans will help because the germination and early growth of the embryos will be
breaking down the indigestibles.

Cooking the beans in water helps and adding a bit of baking soda will help, but at the expense of
flavor and texture.

What's so important about eating gassy beans? There are many other sources of protein with none of
the difficulties.

Pastorio

"Alan M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The one thing which my wife hates more than what happens to me, and
our
> girls, is the ditty they sing, and have taught to their children,
which I
> originally received from my father more than 50 years ago. He
received it
> from his father.
>
> Beans beans are good for your heart, the more you eat the more
you
> F##t. The more you F##t the better you feel, so eat some beans with
every
> meal.
>
> Sorry folks, it brought back warm and fuzzy feelings.

And I remember this 'cleaned up' version from 30 years ago:

Beans beans the magical fruit The more you eat the more you toot The more you toot the better you
feel So have beans with every meal!

revek

"revek" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Alan M" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > The one thing which my wife hates more than what happens to me, and
> our
> > girls, is the ditty they sing, and have taught to their children,
> which I
> > originally received from my father more than 50 years ago. He
> received it
> > from his father.
> >
> > Beans beans are good for your heart, the more you eat the more
> you
> > F##t. The more you F##t the better you feel, so eat some beans with
> every
> > meal.
> >
> > Sorry folks, it brought back warm and fuzzy feelings.
>
> And I remember this 'cleaned up' version from 30 years ago:
>
> Beans beans the magical fruit The more you eat the more you toot The more you toot the better you
> feel So have beans with every meal!
>
> revek

I learned this version, but it was the musical fruit rather than the magical fruit. Steph

Bob Pastorio <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> amanda wrote:
>
> > Just when I thought that soaking and rinsing might be the solution, after hearing Mis Vickie say
> > "Beans are protein, and pound for pound they are equal to a good cut of meat,"....., I have lost
> > ALL hope to break down *that* compound so that I can start eating beans and reduce meat intake.
> >
> > I do not want to spend life time trying to get used to *it*. I need a solution....now.
> >
> > Can anyone share please? No..not the story .. "I grew up eating beans and I have no gas
> > problem". I want to hear from people who didn't grow up eating beans and how they manage to
> > remove that problem, if they are able to remove that problem. In the mean time, I am eating beef
> > (hate chicken except cornish hen).
>
> Beano will get rid of the gas. But what it means is that you'll be metabolizing the
> oligosaccharide carbs.
>
> Sprouting the beans will help because the germination and early growth of the embryos will be
> breaking down the indigestibles.
>
> Cooking the beans in water helps

How else to cook bean but with water?

>and adding a bit of baking soda will help, but at the expense of flavor and texture.
>
> What's so important about eating gassy beans?

Red kidney beans taste pretty good. I like Lima beans too but only without the skin, i.e. not the
canned ones. Lima bean's protein is as good as meat. Haven't had for a long time.

>There are many other sources of protein with none of the difficulties.

Such as? No tofu please. Also, how much effort and time to get complete protein? I need the easiet
way possible. Also, I do not want to spend the whole day thinkign what to eat at every so few hours.

I really want to reduce beef intake - all that hormone and anitbiotics. I got this bread which is
complete protein which I eat with egg.

But you know, I grew up with beef, chicken, and fish with beef being my favorite - they were all
organic where I grew up, as the main protien source. Kind of hard for the body to cope with unless I
get enough protein.

I don't like to eat much. I do eat 3 meals a day cus I need to. So it is easy with beef. One doesn't
have to eat so much food (or cook) and get good protein. Also, I need something tatsy to replace
beef (of US).

> Pastorio

Once upon a time, our fellow revek rambled on about "Re: Result of eating more beans." Our champion
De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

>Beans beans the magical fruit The more you eat the more you toot The more you toot the better you
>feel So have beans with every meal!

"... you have my sympathies" Science Officer Ash to Ripley, in the movie ALIEN.

>> > have remained the same. Noticed I don't get that drowsy 'low blood sugar' effect an hour or 2
>> > after I've eaten.

There is no "drowsy 'low blood sugar' effect" after you've eaten.

If you get drowsy after eating, it is because of high blood sugar, not low.

Alan [email protected] wrote:

> There is no "drowsy 'low blood sugar' effect" after you've eaten.
>
> If you get drowsy after eating, it is because of high blood sugar,
not
> low.

That's not what my meter used to say. I used to live on that blood sugar rollercoaster, and the
drowsy-hyperdeep yawning-shaking-hungry episodes an hour or so after eating were accompanied by
low meter readings.

Carmen Type II

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:08:53 -0600, Alan [email protected] wrote:

>There is no "drowsy 'low blood sugar' effect" after you've eaten.
>
>If you get drowsy after eating, it is because of high blood sugar, not low.

If you have reactive hypoglycemia it is indeed possible for your blood sugar to dip too low (giving
the drowsy effect) about 2 hours after eating. This is particularly noticed when the meal 2 hours
earlier is relatively high in carbohydrates. Many people with reactive hypoglycemia are in danger of
developing type 2 diabetes in the future.

Aramanth

Aramanth Dawe wrote:
> If you have reactive hypoglycemia it is indeed possible for your blood sugar to dip too low
> (giving the drowsy effect) about 2 hours after

When I had that (ancient history!) the lowest point was about _one_ hour after a high-carb input.

--
Wes Groleau "Lewis's case for the existence of God is fallacious." "You mean like circular
reasoning?" "He believes in God. Therefore, he's fallacious."

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 22:06:48 -0500, Wes Groleau
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Aramanth Dawe wrote:
>> If you have reactive hypoglycemia it is indeed possible for your blood sugar to dip too low
>> (giving the drowsy effect) about 2 hours after
>
>When I had that (ancient history!) the lowest point was about _one_ hour after a high-carb input.

Different people have different points. Mine and DH's were both at around 90 minutes to 2
hours later.

Not relevant now, though.

Aramanth

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 12:21:25 -0600, "Carmen" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>That's not what my meter used to say. I used to live on that blood sugar rollercoaster, and the drowsy-
>hyperdeep yawning-shaking-hungry episodes an hour or so after eating were accompanied by low meter
>readings.

Mostly because digestion hasn¨t come that far yet, First stomach linings and intestinal linings need
much higher blood flow in order to transport the nutrients. That removes blood from brain if you
have reduced blood content like low erythrocyteb counts. Then you get dizzy, Because brain lacks
blood. It can be terrible. I fell asleep any time because of too little erythrocyte count it turns
out. Will know more on monday :-( But I have had it for many years, around 35 years or so, so it
should not be some acute things. But they have never measured erythrocyte counts before it seems
like. Only measured Hb, which almost always has been low. Now I know why.