M. Chandler said:Paul Kopit said:M. Chandler said:I use WL on my Speedplay Frog cleats. I came across a nearly-new
bottle of WL that was hiding in the back of the garage. It's the
consistency of Elmer's Glue, which makes it a little too thick for my
cleats. I poked around Google, and there was mention of using
naphtha (lighter fluid) or toluene to revive WL. I'm wondering if
(A) anyone's successfully done this, and/or (B) if I'll spend more on
the aforementioned solvents than on a fresh bottle of WL.
C) Send it back to the manufacturer for an exchange.
It's at least five years old (probably six or seven). I kind of doubt
they'd replace it.
From the WL folks:
"That bottle is probably about 3 or even 4 years old. The product only
has a shelf life of about 2.5 years, at best."
It's the Generation 4 formula, and if memory serves, that was a
problematic batch/formula. Interestingly enough, the ancient Pedro's
Syn Lube that I found in the same box worked just fine.
I'm not opposed to buying another bottle of WL, but since I use it only
on my cleats, I doubt I'll use it up before it "expires."
--
Mark Chandler
Superior, CO
http://www.MileHighSkates.com