Ride partner(s) from Hope to Lake Louise

T.C.

Jul 9, 2003
Anyone interested in doing the trip outlined here?
Day Description Total distance

1 Hope – Manning park 68k (big climb) 68

2 Manning park – Hedley 105k
(lots of downhill) 173

3 Hedley – Osoyoos 71k (rolling) 244

4 Osoyoos – Midway 82k
(lonnngggg climb out of Osoyoos 326

5 Midway – Christina Lake v
via U.S. 80k (first part very
scenic & quiet) 406

6 Christina Lake – Nelson 115k
(big climb out of Christina Lake !!) 521

7 Nelson – Creston via Balfour
ferry & Kootenay Lake117k (rolling) 638

8 Creston – Fort Steele 120k
(relatively flat) 758

9 Fort Steele – Radium Hot Springs
125k (even flatter !) 883
10 Radium Hot Springs – Lake Louise
130k (BIG climb out of Radium, then easy, then long run down
to Bow valley parkway & then 26
easy k to Lake Louise & Success !! 1013
(A few pints of trad with Goulash & spaetzle at the outpost !!!)

I plan to leave Hope around Aug. 1-3
If you are a male or a couple or more and want to do this scenic and challenging tour, get in touch

Tom

:cool: :cool:

I am female and will be going north, so I'm no help for your quest to find a partner. However, you seem very knowledgable about the area in which you're planning your trip.
I'm planning to go from Seattle, to Hope, then straight up HW 1 towards the Yukon. You're comments about your own route indicate that you know the area....tell me, do you know how hilly highway one to Prince George is? Have you biked this area? I'm thrilled about it, as my book (the Milepost) indicates that it is stunning! with lots of great swimming spots! Just wondering if you know how it is for the biker.
Thanks.
Rachel

[....tell me, do you know how hilly highway one to Prince George is? Have you biked this area? I'm thrilled about it, as my book (the Milepost) indicates that it is stunning! with lots of great swimming spots! Just wondering if you know how it is for the biker.
Thanks.
Rachel

Rachel,
Hiway One only goes to Cache Creek. Then it splits into hiway 97 which continues North to Prince George and hiway one continues east to Kamloops.
I don,t know the route from cycling it, but I have driven the road a number of times, and can tell you that the Fraser Canyon has some long, steep hills and several long tunnels with very little shoulder and sometimes heavy traffic with big transport trucks. It can be very hot in the summer, (often Lytton sets the Canadian record for temperatures). Once past Cache Creek, there are some long but not so steep hills, and the scenery opens up. From Prince George north, you get into some really remote country and then into the mountains hesding to the Peace River country which is the western edge of the prairies. It is mostly flat to rolling from Chetwynd to Fort St. John (there are steep descents followed by long climbs at several river valleys. North of Fort St. John I can't help you out. Hope this helps.
Have a great and safe trip,
Tom:)