Ride

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Blum, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Went for a ride on the Van Fleet trail Sunday morning.

    The weekend weather was marvelous, here in West Central Florida. It is officially spring The
    snakes are out. I must have seen 10 on my ride. A yellow rat snake some kind of fat dark snake
    and the rest black snakes. You only see then in spring and fall, when the warm asphalt is
    attractive.

    I just revised my Speed Machine Clone yet again.

    1. seat is finally comfortable.I padded it with 1 inch foam topped by 1/2 inch closed cell camp mat.
    Also added a head rest.
    2.the store bought fork (from Poweron Cycling) greatly improved handling.

    3. The new front wheel from RegisHampton (Sun 13mm aero rim-Shimano Deore LX hub 32 spoke radial)
    seems to roll well.

    The 4 or 5 lb weight reduction is quite welcome. It now weighs 35 lbs.

    I was able to cruise along at 19 mph on the way up. Watching the Spanish moss angle to estimate
    wind speed, I talked myself into believing there was no effective tail wind.

    Because things were going so well, I decided to ride an extra 20 miles. When I turned around at
    the 20 mile marker, the truth was forced upon me, the wind was SE quartering the trail. I could
    only go 15 to 16. Ended up averaging 16.xx. New high for me.

    Today,on the trail, there were quite a few recumbents. I saw about six or seven. Most were Tour
    Easy, with a Rans and one Lightning M5 low racer.

    I talked to the M5 owner. He said his weighed 28 lbs. I guess at 35 lbs, I'm not doing too bad for a
    muffler pipe home built. Looking at his bike, I believe I could make a 30 lb low racer that weighed
    30 lbs or less.

    Also met two guys on DF's who were interested in building recumbents. Gave them url's to BROL and
    HPVA and a few others. It never hurts to recruit.

    The big moonlight ride, starring Laurie "Wo" Smith, from Easy Racers is next Saturday night. Over 50
    people have signed up so far. Eating will be a "chinese fire drill" but the moonlight ride should be
    great. Ya'all come.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

    Tags:

  2. Tom As stupid as this may sound, what do you do when you see snakes? Do you speed up and avoid them?
    Have you ever riden over one? Have they ever tried to strike at you? I don't like snakes. I always
    question the sanity of people who have them crawling around them.

  3. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Jussibjoerling asks: " As stupid as this may sound, what do you do when you see snakes? Do you speed
    up and avoid them? Have you ever riden over one? Have they ever tried to strike at you? "

    Most of the snakes I have seen leave the area as soon as they feel my approach. I have never had a
    snake strike at me.

    One time, my riding partner and I were deep in conversation and didn't see a snake (a fat 4 footer).
    She rode right over the middle of it. It was writhing in agony as we rode off. We felt bad for it,
    but what can you do.

    Yesterday, I saw one snake way in advance and whistled and yelled. It headed for the brush
    tout suite.

    On the same note, we have a mini invasion of water moccasins in my neighbors yard. Since this
    variety is poisonous, I kill them. The non poisonous variety just get shooed away. (watch Beth be a
    closet snake lover and try to emasculate me for killing the nice poisonous snake!!!!LOL)

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  4. Shwackman

    Shwackman Guest

    The big moonlight ride, starring Laurie "Wo" Smith, from Easy Racers is next Saturday night. Over 50
    people have signed up so far. Eating will be a "chinese fire drill" but the moonlight ride should be
    great. Ya'all come.

    >>OK Tom, I'm on my way, how about some "ball-park" directions coming in from
    from Gainesville??..T.I.A....Mark C-Ti-Rush #33

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > The big moonlight ride, starring Laurie "Wo" Smith, from Easy Racers is next Saturday night. Over
    > 50 people have signed up so far. Eating will be a "chinese fire drill" but the moonlight ride
    > should be great. Ya'all come.

    Tom:

    Tell Wo that she's missing all the fun weather. I got hailed on yesterday at the start of the
    Estacada time trial- it only slowed me down a little.

    Jeff Wills

  6. M..Leuck

    M..Leuck Guest

    I've always ridden over them, never been bitten in 30 years

    news:[email protected]...