Rim/Hub or Wheelset Recommendations

Hoya1500

Jul 17, 2005
I'm looking to build a new wheelset for my new frame. The basic jist will be to build it up with relatively high end components (I work at a bike shop, so that really helps with the cost) while still staying clear of carbon. I'll be using these to both race and train. Current ideas that i've been tossing around:

Hubs:
DT Swiss 240's
Chris King Classics

Rims:
DT Swiss RR 1.2
DT Swiss RR 1.1

Wheelset:
American Classic 420s (would be solely a race wheel)
Mavic Ksyrium SSL's (kind of my safety option, as i've heard of recent spokes pulling through the rim)
Easton Tempest II (haven't heard many reviews, and the head mechanic at my frowns upon the spokes and rim quality)
Zipp CSC Team Issue

Honestly, I'm on the fence about everything. I'd love to build my own wheels which is a pretty strong motivating factor. But i'm definitely open to any pre-fab wheel ideas. Thanks for your help.

Hoya1500 said:
I'm looking to build a new wheelset for my new frame. The basic jist will be to build it up with relatively high end components (I work at a bike shop, so that really helps with the cost) while still staying clear of carbon. I'll be using these to both race and train. Current ideas that i've been tossing around:

Hubs:
DT Swiss 240's
Chris King Classics

Rims:
DT Swiss RR 1.2
DT Swiss RR 1.1

Wheelset:
American Classic 420s (would be solely a race wheel)
Mavic Ksyrium SSL's (kind of my safety option, as i've heard of recent spokes pulling through the rim)
Easton Tempest II (haven't heard many reviews, and the head mechanic at my frowns upon the spokes and rim quality)
Zipp CSC Team Issue

Honestly, I'm on the fence about everything. I'd love to build my own wheels which is a pretty strong motivating factor. But i'm definitely open to any pre-fab wheel ideas. Thanks for your help.
Shimano Dura Ace if you are going with Dura Ace components or Campagnolo Record hubs if you are going with Campy components.
Sapim CX-Ray spokes with Sapim Polyax nipples. Get the Sapim Spoke tool to keep them from winding up during tensioning.
Velocity Aerohead rims with OC Rear.
Strong, relatively light, very serviceable and durable.

daveornee said:
Shimano Dura Ace if you are going with Dura Ace components or Campagnolo Record hubs if you are going with Campy components.
Sapim CX-Ray spokes with Sapim Polyax nipples. Get the Sapim Spoke tool to keep them from winding up during tensioning.
Velocity Aerohead rims with OC Rear.
Strong, relatively light, very serviceable and durable.
David: Interesting recommendation for a high-end wheelset. Can you estimate what these would weigh, and the approximate cost?

Also, how much do the CX-Ray spokes add to cost vs standard DT spokes? Did you specify them for mainly for weight reduction?

dhk2 said:
David: Interesting recommendation for a high-end wheelset. Can you estimate what these would weigh, and the approximate cost?

Also, how much do the CX-Ray spokes add to cost vs standard DT spokes? Did you specify them for mainly for weight reduction?
Estimated weight is 1,500 grams for 32 Spoke 3X rear and 28 spoke 2X front.
You can do better than my estimate with a little time on WeightWeenies and a calcuator.
Approximate cost is $485 plus shipping. Depends on who is building and their pricing structures. Prices do seem to be going up ~10% around InterBike time.
I picked CX-Ray spokes becuase of their durability and ability to use standard hubs and nipples with standard tools.
I also picked the Campy or Shimano hubs for the same reasons.
Estimate $60 additional for the CX-Ray spokes (included in the $485 above)over DT Competition spokes.
Sapim Laser 14/17 DB in front and left rear with Sapim Race 14/15 DB right rear shaves about $50 and adds only ~20 grams.