Rims rubbing brakes while cornering

In article <[email protected]>,
Bill Westphal <[email protected]> wrote:

> Most people I think spend very little time in the drops, primarily on
> descents, through difficult turns, going really fast to decrease wind
> resistance or into the wind, or when about to be dropped from a pack,
> or otherwise on the verge of heart failure. This amounts to about 1%
> of your riding. The more important part to consider is the shaping on
> the top, around the hoods, the (horizontal) distance from from top bar
> to the forwardmost part of the hook, and the (vertical) distance from
> the top bar to the lowest point of the hook. If those distances are
> relatively short, you spend more time in the drops, such as with the
> 3T bio-morphe. If you have bigger hands, they may not fit, or your
> wrist may hit the top while in the drop. The shapes in the drops is
> secondary, but not unimportant.

People with shifters in the brake lever assembly spend
less time in the drops. Then they need to lower their
bars to give them lower position on the bicycle to
decrease wind force. People who ride with bar end
shifters or down tube shifters spend relatively more
time in the drops.

I am quite happy down there. The straight section of my
drops are tilted quite a bit more than typical to make
that hand position even more comfortable. The hooks
are also a good place to pedal hard from a seated
position.

--
Michael Press

On Jan 31, 7:35 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/

-snip-

> http://mly.smugmug.com/gallery/1852840/129/88829941/Large

-snip-

> Jobst Brandt

Josbt

Can you refer me to an address for your techniques for travel &
touring? By that I mean how do you pack your bike for air travel, &
belongings, & what do you carry in your Carradice? Somewhere I've read
what you pack in your Carradice, but I can't find it now. What camera
have you found to work best for your travels?

BTW, I noticed you worked @ SLAC. When? I worked there in 1966.

Thank you, John

On 10 Feb 2007 17:43:00 -0800, "john" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Can you [Jobst] refer me to an address for your techniques for travel &
>touring? By that I mean how do you pack your bike for air travel, &
>belongings, & what do you carry in your Carradice? Somewhere I've read
>what you pack in your Carradice, but I can't find it now. What camera
>have you found to work best for your travels?
>
>BTW, I noticed you worked @ SLAC. When? I worked there in 1966.
>
>Thank you, John

Dear John,

For a packing list, google the archives for jobst and "packing list":

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....roup=rec.bicycles.tech&q=jobst+"packing+list"

The text for first of the four hits includes:

" . . . to view Jobst's packing list: "
<http://www.trentobike.org/General/Packing_List.html>

Cheers,

Carl Fogel