Ritchey Wheelsets

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pete Rollason, May 11, 2003.

  1. I was looking to spend around £250 on some new wheels. I particularly like the deep section jobbies
    - and the campag scirroco appealed - but these seem a little on the heavy side, Krysuim Elites also
    appealed, but recently have seems some wheels from ritchey pro - and XAREO x lite

    anybody any experience with these ?

    Pete.

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Pete Rollason) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I was looking to spend around £250 on some new wheels. I particularly like the deep section
    > jobbies - and the campag scirroco appealed - but these seem a little on the heavy side, Krysuim
    > Elites also appealed, but recently have seems some wheels from ritchey pro - and XAREO x lite
    >
    > anybody any experience with these ?

    One thing that does seem to crop up in reviews of Campag wheels is that their rims are a tiny bit
    larger in diameter than most brands, which can make tyre fitting a bit of a chore - especially with
    ones that are a pig to fit in the first place, such as Axial Pros.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  3. Phil Bixby

    Phil Bixby Guest

    Hi Pete

    Not exactly the same as the ones you were looking at but...

    My (now much-altered) Specialized came with Ritchey Aero Road wheels; semi deep rims with offset
    rear spokes and Ritchey hubs. I've never weighed them but they've survived six months of very heavy
    use with no loose spokes and still nice'n'true.

    Having said that, I'm in the process of building myself a lighter-weight summer bike and after
    looking at Ksyrium Elites and taking advice I plumped for a pair of Bontrager Race Lites, which look
    veeeery well put together - haven't ridden on 'em yet as awaiting much of remainder of bike. They'd
    just about fit your budget tho - about £270.

    Phil Bixby York, UK

    "Pete Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I was looking to spend around £250 on some new wheels. I particularly like the deep section
    > jobbies - and the campag scirroco appealed - but these seem a little on the heavy side, Krysuim
    > Elites also appealed, but recently have seems some wheels from ritchey pro - and XAREO x lite
    >
    > anybody any experience with these ?
    >
    > Pete.

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Phil Bixby <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Pete
    >
    > Not exactly the same as the ones you were looking at but...
    >
    > My (now much-altered) Specialized came with Ritchey Aero Road wheels; semi deep rims with offset
    > rear spokes and Ritchey hubs. I've never weighed
    them
    > but they've survived six months of very heavy use with no loose spokes and still nice'n'true.
    >
    > Having said that, I'm in the process of building myself a lighter-weight summer bike and after
    > looking at Ksyrium Elites and taking advice I
    plumped
    > for a pair of Bontrager Race Lites, which look veeeery well put together - haven't ridden on 'em
    > yet as awaiting much of remainder of bike. They'd
    just
    > about fit your budget tho - about £270.
    >
    > Phil Bixby York, UK
    >
    > "Pete Rollason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I was looking to spend around £250 on some new wheels. I particularly like the deep section
    > > jobbies - and the campag scirroco appealed - but these seem a little on the heavy side, Krysuim
    > > Elites also appealed, but recently have seems some wheels from ritchey pro - and XAREO x lite
    > >
    > > anybody any experience with these ?
    > >
    > > Pete.

    FWIW you won't beat a custom built set. Look at Record hubs (or DA if that's ya thang!) with Mavic
    Open Pro's. Have them built with decent DB spokes and they will be as light as all the fancy stuff
    but stronger and more serviceable. Ribble have a blinding offer at the moment...£179pr. of
    Record/Open Pro's..including wheel bags!

    Of course, if it's just looks your after, then a set of boutique wheels may suit you better. Oh, and
    if your comparing weights (as I did), bear in mind that Campy hub weights include Record
    skewers..all the others don't! PS Check out reviews on the Xaero's, seem to be a bit of problem with
    the rear hub, but that 'may' be sorted now.

    If you want confirmation of my suggestions, post ya question over on rec.bicycles.tech.

    --
    Mark

  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    > One thing that does seem to crop up in reviews of Campag wheels is that their rims are a tiny bit
    > larger in diameter than most brands, which can make tyre fitting a bit of a chore - especially
    > with ones that are a pig to fit in the first place, such as Axial Pros.
    >
    > David E. Belcher

    I have read this too but have (since) never had a problem with either Michelin pro-lites or Veloflex
    Records on my Campagnolo Ventos.

    Regards, Jim.

  6. "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > FWIW you won't beat a custom built set. Look at Record hubs (or DA if that's ya thang!) with Mavic
    > Open Pro's. Have them built with decent DB spokes and they will be as light as all the fancy stuff
    > but stronger and more serviceable. Ribble have a blinding offer at the moment...£179pr. of
    > Record/Open Pro's..including wheel bags!

    Agreed - Oldham Cycle Centre often have ads in CW for custom wheels using Open Pros, Sapim stainless
    spokes and Daytona/Chorus/Record hubs, with their being lighter than Ksyriums the big selling point.

    If factory-built wheels are still your thing, Mavic Cosmos have always seemed decent value to me -
    they're not too pricey, look smart, and aren't too heavy. From a repair point of view, they appear
    to be more user-friendly than most.