Rivendell on bike fit?

On 2007-03-17, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> ??????????? ??? ??????????? ???: ?? kinesthesiology, ??????????
> ???????, ?????? ???????? ???????????, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_therapy
> ??? ?????? Google ?????, ????????? ?????; ? Gordon, Rivendale...

All I'm seeing is question marks. If you're writing in e.g. Greek you
need to set up your computer somehow differently. Google Groups is
putting the UTF8 header there but some other part of the system has
mapped your characters back to ?, as if it were accepting ASCII only.

If you use a normal newsreader it's possible to set this up, otherwise
stick to English or transliterate the Greek.

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:40:50 -0500, Tim McNamara
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> John Forrest Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 20:04:03 -0500, Tim McNamara
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Cool. I want deep drops and long reach like the old Cinellis. At
>> >6'4" with hands that match, I find that most modern bars feel like
>> >toys. The reach is too short and the "ergo" drop is not ergonomic.

>> Sadly for you the modern round bars are generally, I think, a lot
>> smaller depth and reach then what you're looking for.

>The closest are the Nitto 175 (out of production) and the Nitto B115
>(same bend, 25.4 mm center). But you're right, the reach and depth on
>almost all current bars are too small for me. That's what I get for
>being an outlier!

I've got some unused older Ritchy Logic deep bars -- not the current
ones that are 135 drop but older ones that are couple cm deeper, 44
wide -- if you're interested in them contact me off-list.

--
JT
****************************

gRant and company have their own riding style. Rivendell articles have
convinced me that their style is low cadence and mostly pushing. Given
that style, their fit makes sense.

I am a spinner, and it feels like a lot of my power comes from the
"scraping mud off the shoes" part of the stroke. You can't do that with
flat pedals and Hush Puppies and with the saddle all the way back.

Not everyone rides with my style, and perhaps lots of folks enjoy riding
gRant's style. Whatever, before investing $2300 and a couple years
waiting for a Rivendell frame, take some time to figure out what works
best for YOU.

On Mar 17, 7:22 am, richard <[email protected]> wrote:
> gRant and company have their own riding style. Rivendell articles have
> convinced me that their style is low cadence and mostly pushing. Given
> that style, their fit makes sense.
>
> I am a spinner, and it feels like a lot of my power comes from the
> "scraping mud off the shoes" part of the stroke. You can't do that with
> flat pedals and Hush Puppies and with the saddle all the way back.
>
> Not everyone rides with my style, and perhaps lots of folks enjoy riding
> gRant's style. Whatever, before investing $2300 and a couple years
> waiting for a Rivendell frame, take some time to figure out what works
> best for YOU.

Of course, one *could* order a Riv frame made to their, not The
Grant's, sizing specs. OTOH, for that kinda $, there are more than a
few options in hand crafted, custom steel frames.

(oooops, there went the Maypo!)

> > Once was humorous

off course, ura LBS owner.

Look, when tiger lily ti burst forth with the $700 custom ti frame
offer complete with the truly outstanding ferrari logo replica i went
of looking for DATA on frame sizing because: 1) i'm suspicious, 2)
with ample reason, and three) some poeple who appear normal are
defeinitaelt not especially ex-photographers, am I right or what?
i found one semi-relevant source dealing mainly with kayaking from uh
Dartmouth.
Off course, that was more than two years ago. Given the "literary"
aspirations of the medical community, more information could be
available but probabbbly not ( i'm aiting for lunch) given the basic
poverty of the $35k/ride bicycle economy.
NADA information from uh science on bicycle sizing.
ZEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Off course, altavista, whom I will hereupon throw over the side, once
again garbled the back to english. speaking of which did you read
about the "my litte sister" computer with 170,000 phrases? do they
have a lawyer?
the idea was: given those sources, physical therapy-an extensive
database-and off course fersure, orthpedics: are there cycle related
studies?
with all the ground based info-chondromalcia...would not there be an
orthopedists to shape the data into a package?
IF YOU GO...
how can you tell if the guy, for example (lunch is done) building the
birdcage carbon fiber frame, doesn't suffer from a "minor"
"misconception" on sizing that will seriously degrade your activity?
what? ya gonna go ask his customers? where? how? he sells frames at
$7k? that's no reference! those people buy goatcheese and mavic
rims...
i dunno

In article <[email protected]>,
richard <[email protected]> wrote:

> gRant and company have their own riding style. Rivendell articles
> have convinced me that their style is low cadence and mostly pushing.
> Given that style, their fit makes sense.
>
> I am a spinner, and it feels like a lot of my power comes from the
> "scraping mud off the shoes" part of the stroke. You can't do that
> with flat pedals and Hush Puppies and with the saddle all the way
> back.
>
> Not everyone rides with my style, and perhaps lots of folks enjoy
> riding gRant's style. Whatever, before investing $2300 and a couple
> years waiting for a Rivendell frame, take some time to figure out
> what works best for YOU.

The frame doesn't determine your riding style, you do. The vast
majority of Rivendell frames are much less expensive and available just
about immediately. The custom built frames are a small part of
Rivendell's frame sales. I've had the opportunity to examine quite a
few of the standard production frames and they are very well made
indeed. They are well thought out, with small details that make quite a
difference in versatility.

FWIW, Rivendell's custom frames are built by one of the best frame
builders in the US- Curt Goodrich (the workforce is soon to be expanded
to include Mark Nobilette, I understand). They are painted by Joe Bell,
the grand master of bicycle frame painting, which is a big chunk of the
frame cost right there ($500 according to the Riv Web site for the most
deluxe paint job).

Joe Bell has a Website, apparently, (www.joebell.biz) but it appears to
be hosted by www.campyonly.com and their server appears to be
unresponsive this morning.

On 16 Mar 2007 12:45:11 -0700, "Jay Beattie"
<[email protected]> wrote:
>GP's audience is filled with well-heeled retro-groutches and not the
>sometimes-riders. The sometimes-riders and non-athletic riders I know
>much prefer click-shifting comfort bikes in the $400 range and not
>expensive steel frames, wool paniers, lugged stems, friction-shifting
>and moustache bars, etc., etc. (fill in quirky component choice). --

No, no, no! It's wool JERSEYS, and WAXED COTTON panniers! Geez, get
it straight!

;)

Email address works as is.