Road Cycling apparel designer seeking tips

cycle chic

May 26, 2011
Hello cycling pros,

I am a outdoor apparel designer and recently got a project designing a line of road cycling apparel includes jersey, jacket, shorts, bibs.
I read that the biggest thing for shorts and bibs are rash and chafing. I have some basic ideas as I ride road bike myself and have warn shorts. But I don't ride long distance. And I never got rash or chafing. So I don't know what I don't know. Would love to hear from you if you have complains of the shorts/bib (or other clothes) you are having, so I'll try to avoid that in the new designs.

Many thanks!!

over the years i have noticed that the pad or chamois ( where you should actually be seated) tends to go upfront, sometimes to the rear or sometimes to the left or right, no idea the reason why. Yesterday i got it a bit to the front and quite a bit to the left, on some nice Scott's bibs with panel construction and everything.

Bike shorts eventually fail (rip) along the seam where the chamois is sewn in. This happens even with high end shorts. I wish shorts had a reinforcing strip along that seam.

In my experience none of the above happens, but they do go thin in places. I've had to throw some out because they became see through at the back.