road suspension seat posts for light rider

Nigel Cliffe

Guest
I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs (6st6,
41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc. Tyres are
1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so far
I've only found two which seem to have the option of springs/elastomer for a
light person; the USE Alien road model and the smaller Thudbuster model.
Both are quite expensive (around 80 pounds for the USE and around 110 for
the Thudbuster once the elastomers are added).

Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to pass on ?

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs (6st6,
> 41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc. Tyres are
> 1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.
>
> Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so far
> I've only found two which seem to have the option of springs/elastomer for a
> light person; the USE Alien road model and the smaller Thudbuster model.
> Both are quite expensive (around 80 pounds for the USE and around 110 for
> the Thudbuster once the elastomers are added).
>

> Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to pass on ?
>

> - Nigel

Nigel,

We use a USE one on the back of the tandem, fitted with softer
elastomers (bought for when the children were younger)

--
"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs (6st6,
> 41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc. Tyres are
> 1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.
>
> Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so far
> I've only found two which seem to have the option of springs/elastomer for a
> light person; the USE Alien road model and the smaller Thudbuster model.
> Both are quite expensive (around 80 pounds for the USE and around 110 for
> the Thudbuster once the elastomers are added).
>

> Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to pass on ?
>

> - Nigel

Nigel,

We use a USE one on the back of the tandem, fitted with softer
elastomers (bought for when the children were younger)

--
"You can't see paradise if you don't pedal" (Fowler, Chicken Run)

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 19:33:02 -0000, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs (6st6,
>41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc. Tyres are
>1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.
>
>Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so far
>I've only found two which seem to have the option of springs/elastomer for a
>light person; the USE Alien road model and the smaller Thudbuster model.
>Both are quite expensive (around 80 pounds for the USE and around 110 for
>the Thudbuster once the elastomers are added).
>

>Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to pass on ?

What about a sprung Brooks? Some of their ATB/Trekking saddles look to
have as much travel as a suspension post, with the benefit of there
being no mechanism, per se, to wear and get sloppy.

Tim Binns wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 19:33:02 -0000, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about
>> 90lbs (6st6, 41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat
>> bars, etc. Tyres are
>> 1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.
>>
>> Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so
>> far I've only found two which seem to have the option of
>> springs/elastomer for a light person; the USE Alien road model and
>> the smaller Thudbuster model. Both are quite expensive (around 80
>> pounds for the USE and around 110 for the Thudbuster once the
>> elastomers are added).
>>

>> Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to
>> pass on ?
>>

> What about a sprung Brooks? Some of their ATB/Trekking saddles look to
> have as much travel as a suspension post, with the benefit of there
> being no mechanism, per se, to wear and get sloppy.

Even worse for a light rider than suspension seat posts as there is no
option of selecting the spring rates.
The springs on any saddle are designed for average or above average weights
(otherwise they'd collapse).

- Nigel

--

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs (6st6,
> 41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc. Tyres are
> 1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.
>
> Most posts are designed with springs for much heavier people, and so far
> I've only found two which seem to have the option of springs/elastomer for a
> light person; the USE Alien road model and the smaller Thudbuster model.
> Both are quite expensive (around 80 pounds for the USE and around 110 for
> the Thudbuster once the elastomers are added).
>

> Is there any experience of these for road use which you'd like to pass on ?
>

> - Nigel

The seat post on my wife's Dawes has a collar that you turn to match the
weight of the rider. No markings, but I just wound it up until the
saddle just stayed up when she sat on it.

I doubt that Dawes would fit a £80 post to a £450 bike.

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs
> (6st6, 41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc.
> Tyres are 1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

Consider wider tyres first as they will improve the natural suspension a
lot (when inflated properly, ie. not too hard).

If you do go for a sus post, make sure it allows sufficient set back (aka
layback) if the saddle is currently slid back somewhat. Most suspension
posts have inline saddle clamps.

Warning: Post Modern Bracer Road has little effect with my 11ish stone on
it on-road, even at the softest setting.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Nigel Cliffe wrote:
>> I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs
>> (6st6, 41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc.
>> Tyres are 1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

> Consider wider tyres first as they will improve the natural
> suspension a lot (when inflated properly, ie. not too hard).

Considering that, though many come at considerable weight penalty.

If there are recommendations for 1.5in+ road tyres to fit MTB rims, they
would be welcome.

We run the 1.3's at moderate pressures; nearer 50-60lbs rather than the
80-100 which average weight riders might select.

> If you do go for a sus post, make sure it allows sufficient set back
> (aka layback) if the saddle is currently slid back somewhat. Most
> suspension posts have inline saddle clamps.

Yes, aware of that.

> Warning: Post Modern Bracer Road has little effect with my 11ish
> stone on it on-road, even at the softest setting.

Thanks. Another "long shot" crossed off the list.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

in message <[email protected]>, Nigel Cliffe
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Pete Biggs wrote:
>> Nigel Cliffe wrote:
>>> I think a suspension post might benefit my partner. She's about 90lbs
>>> (6st6, 41kg). She rides a fairly upright road bike - flat bars, etc.
>>> Tyres are 1.3inch slicks on 26in wheels.

>> Consider wider tyres first as they will improve the natural
>> suspension a lot (when inflated properly, ie. not too hard).

> Considering that, though many come at considerable weight penalty.
>
> If there are recommendations for 1.5in+ road tyres to fit MTB rims,
> they would be welcome.

Nokian AWS. Ride well and have a seriously cool tread pattern :)

I'm currently using a Specialized Fat Boy slick on the turbo trainer, and
it seems OK at least for that use. Don't know what it would be like on
the road.

;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:01:20 +0000, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> If there are recommendations for 1.5in+ road tyres to fit MTB rims,
>> they would be welcome.

>I'm currently using a Specialized Fat Boy slick on the turbo trainer, and
>it seems OK at least for that use. Don't know what it would be like on
>the road.

I've used fatboys on road and i'll be returning to them after a mixed
experience with conti contact sports. I like the fatboys very much,
although they are thinner tyres (1.25) than the 1.5 the OP asked
about. They seem relatively light and at 100psi feel quick and grip
well. They get a thumbs up from me anyway.

"Bob"

Call me Bob wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 14:01:20 +0000, Simon Brooke
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>> If there are recommendations for 1.5in+ road tyres to fit MTB rims,
>>> they would be welcome.

>> I'm currently using a Specialized Fat Boy slick on the turbo
>> trainer, and it seems OK at least for that use. Don't know what it
>> would be like on the road.

> I've used fatboys on road and i'll be returning to them after a mixed
> experience with conti contact sports. I like the fatboys very much,
> although they are thinner tyres (1.25) than the 1.5 the OP asked
> about. They seem relatively light and at 100psi feel quick and grip
> well. They get a thumbs up from me anyway.

Currently using Fatboys. Ours are labelled 1.3in, and have a yellow wall,
whereas current ones appear to be black, but I doubt the difference makes
much odds.

As the comment was to fit fatter tyres, I asked for suggestions.

- Nigel

--

('[email protected]') wrote:

> Call me Bob wrote:
>>
>> I've used fatboys on road and i'll be returning to them after a mixed
>> experience with conti contact sports. I like the fatboys very much,
>> although they are thinner tyres (1.25) than the 1.5 the OP asked
>> about. They seem relatively light and at 100psi feel quick and grip
>> well. They get a thumbs up from me anyway.

> Currently using Fatboys. Ours are labelled 1.3in, and have a yellow
> wall, whereas current ones appear to be black, but I doubt the
> difference makes much odds.
>
> As the comment was to fit fatter tyres, I asked for suggestions.

Nokian AWS! Available in 1.5 or 2.1 inch, semi-slick, roll well (at much
less than 100psi), look cool.

.::;===r==\
/ /___||___\____
//==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
//____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
\__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Nigel Cliffe
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Call me Bob wrote:
> >>
> >> I've used fatboys on road and i'll be returning to them after a mixed
> >> experience with conti contact sports. I like the fatboys very much,
> >> although they are thinner tyres (1.25) than the 1.5 the OP asked
> >> about. They seem relatively light and at 100psi feel quick and grip
> >> well. They get a thumbs up from me anyway.

> > Currently using Fatboys. Ours are labelled 1.3in, and have a yellow
> > wall, whereas current ones appear to be black, but I doubt the
> > difference makes much odds.
> >
> > As the comment was to fit fatter tyres, I asked for suggestions.

> Nokian AWS! Available in 1.5 or 2.1 inch, semi-slick, roll well (at much
> less than 100psi), look cool.

seconded. Top kit. Those and city jets are my slicks of choice.
Little[1] brother rides on fatboy 2.1s and likes them.

...d

[1] strictly only younger.

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
> Call me Bob wrote:

Scwalbe 'Big Apple' every time, very well regarded by recumbent trikers
who really appreciate the suspension effect and generally regarded as
quite a fast tyre. Will have a much better suspension efect than a
seatpost. Availiable in 2" and 2.5"

Alex

Nigel Cliffe wrote:

> If there are recommendations for 1.5in+ road tyres to fit MTB rims,
> they would be welcome.

Schwalbe City Jet 1.5 -- not super light but still quite quick, IME. Not
as heavy as some though, thanks to skin sidewalls.

Pananracer Pasela 1.75 -- I've no experience of it in this size but I know
the model is good from the 700C ones I have used. 500 grams according to
SJSC (also available at Wiggle).

~PB