Roberto Heras...contender? Plus other questions.

Krusty

Guest
Ok...I really enjoy cycling, but I never really pay any attention to
anything but the Giro, Tour, & Vuelta. I also realize that it is
still early in the season to be making predictions, but:

That said, I've always been impressed by Heras' ability in the
mountains. What do you think his chances of winning the tour this
year are?

Also:

How is Beloki looking this year?

Does the time trial at Alpe D'Huez significantly increase a true
climber's ability to win?

Is it true that Ullrich is out of shape?

Who else, besides Lance, is looking strong for the tour this year?

Does anyone else think that Lance might have too many distactions
(publicity, Sheryl Crowe, etc...) to train properly?

Any input would be appreciated.

On Fri, 28 May 2004 18:16:29 GMT, Krusty
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Any input would be appreciated.

No. Yes. Poor. Maybe. Not necessarily in that order.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

"Krusty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Ok...I really enjoy cycling, but I never really pay any attention to
> anything but the Giro, Tour, & Vuelta. I also realize that it is
> still early in the season to be making predictions, but:
>
> That said, I've always been impressed by Heras' ability in the
> mountains. What do you think his chances of winning the tour this
> year are?
>
> Also:
>
> How is Beloki looking this year?
>
> Does the time trial at Alpe D'Huez significantly increase a true
> climber's ability to win?
>
> Is it true that Ullrich is out of shape?
>
> Who else, besides Lance, is looking strong for the tour this year?
>
> Does anyone else think that Lance might have too many distactions
> (publicity, Sheryl Crowe, etc...) to train properly?
>
> Any input would be appreciated.

Lance will be strong. He seems to handle all his distractions in stride.
He's performing well in the races he's doing and he's training more
diligently this spring than last.

Lots off folks are writing Jan off. I wouldn't. I expect he'll arrive
ready to ride ... and he'll still finish second or worse to somebody.

Heras ... close, but no cigar. Can't TT well enough.

Beloki ... his body may be over the crash but his head isn't.

Mayo ... this is the guy I'd be afraid of if I were Lance. Everyone knew he
could climb. This spring he's improved his time trialing and, with the new
limit on what can be lost in the team time trial, he won't have that
handicap.

Tyler hasn't broken anything yet ... so he's not on his usual form.

My podium pick:

Lance
Mayo
Jan

Krusty wrote:
> Ok...I really enjoy cycling, but I never really pay any attention to
> anything but the Giro, Tour, & Vuelta. I also realize that it is
> still early in the season to be making predictions, but:
>
> That said, I've always been impressed by Heras' ability in the
> mountains. What do you think his chances of winning the tour this
> year are?

Not good. His legs haven't been in form all year, so far. He may yet
surprise us, though. He climbs like a freakin' goat when his legs are in
form!

> Also:
>
> How is Beloki looking this year?

No comment. I haven't seen or read much of him all year so far. That is
usually a bad sign, though.

> Does the time trial at Alpe D'Huez significantly increase a true
> climber's ability to win?

I don't know if I'd use the word "significantly" or not. I suspect this
will be true, though.

> Is it true that Ullrich is out of shape?

Depends on which media source you believe as to the degree of truth. It's
true he hasn't been racing much, and he's renowned for being a bit lazy and
'training' by the classic European method of drinking coffee, eating pastry
and watching the pretty German girls. That being said, and considering his
prior results at the TdF, I think he'll be ready. I personally hope that
he'll be ready, as Jan's one of a handful of riders on the planet that could
challenge Lance when he's in form.

> Who else, besides Lance, is looking strong for the tour this year?

Tyler Hamilton. Don't underestimate him. He's ferocious, and his team
(Phonak) is *good* this year. I think that if Ullrich isn't in superhuman
shape, then Tyler's probably the only other guy that could give Lance some
trouble, especially if Tyler can stay in one piece this year. He's looking
good so far.

> Does anyone else think that Lance might have too many distractions
> (publicity, Sheryl Crowe, etc...) to train properly?

I don't know why you people insist that Sheryl is a distraction. Mostly
just trolls grasping at straws, because for some reason there's a large
group of people that don't want Lance to win. I don't know if it's sour
grapes, or because they're ashamed at being American or what. Being married
(especially in a crumbling marriage, as his obviously was) is *infinitely*
more stressful than just having a girlfriend hang around. If anything, he's
in better shape mentally now that he's ditched the ol' ball-and-chain. He's
been training exactly how Chris and he and the team together have planned,
to the letter. He's trained, and he'll be ready. They know they made a
mistake last year, and they're certainly not going to repeat it again this
year. Nor will they repeat those mistakes when he wins #7 next year.

> Any input would be appreciated.

Now, let's hear what you think

Regards,
H.

On Sat, 29 May 2004 18:57:14 GMT, "HardwareLust" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Krusty wrote:
>> Ok...I really enjoy cycling, but I never really pay any attention to
>> anything but the Giro, Tour, & Vuelta. I also realize that it is
>> still early in the season to be making predictions, but:
>>
>> That said, I've always been impressed by Heras' ability in the
>> mountains. What do you think his chances of winning the tour this
>> year are?

>Not good. His legs haven't been in form all year, so far. He may yet
>surprise us, though. He climbs like a freakin' goat when his legs are in
>form!
>
>> Also:
>>
>> How is Beloki looking this year?

>No comment. I haven't seen or read much of him all year so far. That is
>usually a bad sign, though.
>
>> Does the time trial at Alpe D'Huez significantly increase a true
>> climber's ability to win?

>I don't know if I'd use the word "significantly" or not. I suspect this
>will be true, though.
>
>> Is it true that Ullrich is out of shape?

>Depends on which media source you believe as to the degree of truth. It's
>true he hasn't been racing much, and he's renowned for being a bit lazy and
>'training' by the classic European method of drinking coffee, eating pastry
>and watching the pretty German girls. That being said, and considering his
>prior results at the TdF, I think he'll be ready. I personally hope that
>he'll be ready, as Jan's one of a handful of riders on the planet that could
>challenge Lance when he's in form.

Not surprising...especially after two years ago. Too bad he got
suspended for a recreational drug. Let the man have fun at a club if
he wants to ruin his central nervous system ;-) Rules are rules
though, so his stupid fault I guess. I'd bet he'll be ready too.

>> Who else, besides Lance, is looking strong for the tour this year?

>Tyler Hamilton. Don't underestimate him. He's ferocious, and his team
>(Phonak) is *good* this year. I think that if Ullrich isn't in superhuman
>shape, then Tyler's probably the only other guy that could give Lance some
>trouble, especially if Tyler can stay in one piece this year. He's looking
>good so far.

Can't remember. Did he win a stage last year? I know he had a big
breakaway....just can't remember if he held them off. Either way he
impressed me....riding with a broken collarbone and all (finished in
the top 10 overall didn't he?).

>> Does anyone else think that Lance might have too many distractions
>> (publicity, Sheryl Crowe, etc...) to train properly?

>I don't know why you people insist that Sheryl is a distraction. Mostly
>just trolls grasping at straws, because for some reason there's a large
>group of people that don't want Lance to win. I don't know if it's sour
>grapes, or because they're ashamed at being American or what. Being married
>(especially in a crumbling marriage, as his obviously was) is *infinitely*
>more stressful than just having a girlfriend hang around. If anything, he's
>in better shape mentally now that he's ditched the ol' ball-and-chain. He's
>been training exactly how Chris and he and the team together have planned,
>to the letter. He's trained, and he'll be ready. They know they made a
>mistake last year, and they're certainly not going to repeat it again this
>year. Nor will they repeat those mistakes when he wins #7 next year.

You're probably right here, but if I was dating Sheryl I know I'd be
pretty G-D distracted. ;-)

>> Any input would be appreciated.

>Now, let's hear what you think
>
>Regards,
>H.

Again...let me stress that I know very little about cycling...Indurain
made me a fan while I was living in Spain in '92. I've kept up, as
best I can, with the three major tours since...but my opinions are
merely...well...opinions.

"psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Krusty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
> > Ok...I really enjoy cycling, but I never really pay any attention to
> > anything but the Giro, Tour, & Vuelta. I also realize that it is
> > still early in the season to be making predictions, but:
> >
> > That said, I've always been impressed by Heras' ability in the
> > mountains. What do you think his chances of winning the tour this
> > year are?
> >
> > Also:
> >
> > How is Beloki looking this year?
> >
> > Does the time trial at Alpe D'Huez significantly increase a true
> > climber's ability to win?
> >
> > Is it true that Ullrich is out of shape?
> >
> > Who else, besides Lance, is looking strong for the tour this year?
> >
> > Does anyone else think that Lance might have too many distactions
> > (publicity, Sheryl Crowe, etc...) to train properly?
> >
> > Any input would be appreciated.
> >

> Lance will be strong. He seems to handle all his distractions in stride.
> He's performing well in the races he's doing and he's training more
> diligently this spring than last.

Lance appears to be exceptionally strong this year. Lance is probably
more well prepared than he has been in years.

> Lots off folks are writing Jan off. I wouldn't. I expect he'll arrive
> ready to ride ... and he'll still finish second or worse to somebody.

Jan seems to have lost some his earlier enthusiasm to beat Lance.
Jan's performance in the Tour of Germany seem quite strong. Be
interesting to see how he performs in the Tour of Switzerland.

> Heras ... close, but no cigar. Can't TT well enough.

I agree, Heras is a great climber, but he can't match Lance in the
TT's.