Roche Says Lance is Finished

Ken Very Big Liar wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 11:22:36 +0200, David Off
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>cracks started to show," said Roche. "Those cracks are
>>only going to get wider."
>

> ....much like Roche's frame nowadays.

He should either use duct tape or get in touch with
Justin Lewis.

David Off <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> B. Lafferty wrote:
>
> > I agree it's time to race, but Roche, for all his
> > faults, is a fairly perceptive race observer.
>
> I think Roche is right, but if Armstrong does crack I
> think he will end up a long way back not third. There are
> a few riders going into the race who have good teams and
> are extremely motivated and saw that Armstrong could be
> beaten last year. I think Ullrich could do it, I'm not
> convinced Mayo will get through all the 3 weeks. Hamilton
> is a bit of a wildcard, I admire Roche for sticking his
> neck out.
>
> As you said, Roche has faults, but at least he used to
> race to win the whole season which is one reason I
> hesitate to put LA up in the same class with Merckx and
> Coppi although I respect his comeback after cancer.
> Although if he makes six TdFs I think he will be one of
> the greats. Let's not forget that all the guys you
> mentioned have faults.

I think that Lance will will win this year. We will probably
see a extremely close tdf this year. My guess is that Lance
will exploit any sign's of weakness that Jan shows. Lance
also has a stronger team that he can use to considerable
advantage. I think US Postal and other strong teams will
will force the pace in stage 3.

On 2004-07-02, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tyler could actally pull it off if nothing goes wrong for
> him. He did beat Lance and Ullrich in last year's final
> ITT (only a confessed EPO user beat Tyler that day and he
> may in fact inherit the win rertroactively).

He only beat them because Ullrich fell.

--
Stig Are M. Botterli [email protected]

"David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Chris" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Anyhow, Tyler can beat Lance on any given day and if he
> > realized that last year and planned his whole Tour
> > around the assumption that Lance is not a shoo-in then
> > Tyler is probably the best equipped after Ullrich.
>
> Whoah there... Tyler isn't that great a climber and often
> fades on the final climb. I think of the two, Ullrich is
> usually better up the hills, or at least doesn't lose so
> much on the final portions if he's feeling well.

Usually? Tyler only prepared to tackle the GC in the Tour
once and we know how that went. he seems even better
prepared this year. The trend favors Tyler. In addition, I
said "after Ullrich" and that means you agree with me. I
find it so funny how often RBR regulars reply with
dissenting opinions that are actually in agreement with the
position of the article they are commenting on. I will spell
it out more clearly: Tyler is the 3rd best candidate for
victory given what is known as of today about his ITT and
climbing skills in a GT.

> --
> David N. Welton Personal: http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
> Free Software: http://www.dedasys.com/freesoftware/ Apache
> Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/ Photos:
> http://www.dedasys.com/photos/

"Stig Are M. Botterli" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2004-07-02, Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > Tyler could actally pull it off if nothing goes wrong
> > for him. He did
beat
> > Lance and Ullrich in last year's final ITT (only a
> > confessed EPO user
beat
> > Tyler that day and he may in fact inherit the win
> > rertroactively).
>
> He only beat them because Ullrich fell.

Ullrich's fall effected Lance that much huh? I guess you
think Lance does not always care about stage wins even in
ITTs. Is that your position?

> --
> Stig Are M. Botterli [email protected]

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >

> > >BUt I began to notice last year that lance is really
> > >starting to age and looked mch older than he did in
> > >1995. It's
> like
> > > winning each tour ages you in dog years.
> >
> > Evidence that he is *not* using HRT (considered doping)
> > even though he
> could
> > do it without testing positive.
> >
> Explain how taking testosterone and/or hGH amounts to the
> fountain of
youth.

You say fountain of youth, not me. I said age related
performance degradation. Testosterone is related to RBC
production and cell repair. HGH is even more influential in
retaining the metabolic attributes for aging people. This is
not simply sports Voodoo, these are the finding of numerous
practicing physicians. I have seen it in clinical settings
myself. If you have a dissenting opinion, send it to the AMA
and the professional boards whose member MDs are using these
findings to optimize the health of aging patients.

"David Off" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Chris wrote:
>
> > He already talks about it numerous times in his books.
> > He hates to
"lose"

> plus, if he doens't get yellow there are none of those
> cute podium babes to slip it to after the tour is over.
> Motivation enough.

LOL. I wonder if that gives a natural and legal testosterone
boost? Another factor that favors the incumbent!

Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Stig Are M. Botterli" <[email protected]> wrote
> in message

> > He only beat them because Ullrich fell.

> Ullrich's fall effected Lance that much huh? I guess you
> think Lance does not always care about stage wins even in
> ITTs. Is that your position?

LANCE visibly backed off after hearing that Ullrich had
fallen, picking cautious lines through the corners; he
didn't have to ride full out to preserve the jersey, and he
couldn't risk a hard fall.

OTOH, Tyler might have beat them anyway. And he did beat
them; placing is dependent on who gets to the line first,
not who gets to the line first if nobody else takes a bad
line and falls.

Chris, I'll be interested to see if you can keep up this
posting volume for three weeks. Don't peak too early, or you
risk a "jour sans."

Chris wrote:
> "Stig Are M. Botterli" <[email protected]> wrote
>> He only beat them because Ullrich fell.
>
> Ullrich's fall effected Lance that much huh? I guess you
> think Lance does not always care about stage wins even in
> ITTs. Is that your position?

That's my position.

in article [email protected], Robert Chung at [email protected]
wrote on 7/2/04 8:09 PM:

> Chris wrote:
>> "Stig Are M. Botterli" <[email protected]> wrote
>>> He only beat them because Ullrich fell.
>>
>> Ullrich's fall effected Lance that much huh? I guess you
>> think Lance does not always care about stage wins even in
>> ITTs. Is that your position?
>
> That's my position.

Not least, I'm sure, because that's what Lance said. And
I'm sure he would have said the same even if he had won
the stage.

-Sonarrat.

Chris wrote:
> "David Off" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:40e5c76c$0$21310$79c14f64@nan-newsreader-
> 07.noos.net...
>
>>Chris wrote:
>>

>>>He already talks about it numerous times in his books. He
>>>hates to
>
> "lose"
>
>>plus, if he doens't get yellow there are none of those
>>cute podium babes to slip it to after the tour is over.
>>Motivation enough.
>

> LOL. I wonder if that gives a natural and legal
> testosterone boost? Another factor that favors the
> incumbent!

if it is anything like monkey troops he will have higher
endorphin levels

"Chris" <[email protected]> writes:

> > Whoah there... Tyler isn't that great a climber and
> > often fades on the final climb. I think of the two,
> > Ullrich is usually better up the hills, or at least
> > doesn't lose so much on the final portions if he's
> > feeling well.

> Usually? Tyler only prepared to tackle the GC in the Tour
> once and we know how that went. he seems even better
> prepared this year. The trend favors Tyler.

I'm thinking of his performance in the Giro. He fell over
there, too, but he would have race hands down if he'd done
better up the climbs.

On 2004-07-02 08:41:34 -0600, David Off <[email protected]> said:

> race to win the whole season

Mercx is on record saying that he would race the way
Armstrong does now, simply because of the economics of the
sport today.

> "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2klrcsF3thidU1@uni-
> berlin.de...
> >
> > "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

It's
> > like
> > >
> > > Evidence that he is *not* using HRT (considered
> > > doping) even though he
> > could
> > > do it without testing positive.
> > >
> > Explain how taking testosterone and/or hGH amounts to
> > the fountain of
> youth.
>

> You say fountain of youth, not me. I said age related
> performance degradation.

You were using the fact that Armstrong looks much older
than he did in 95 as proof that he didn't take HRT. Ergo,
HRT can prevent one from looking old; synonymous with the
fountain of youth.